U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 07:06 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,287,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
OK, coming from the guy from Atlanta. Home of STDS and trash.

None of that matters. Grapico will find some way to make all of that irrelevant. Maybe he'll get clever again and use one of this uber cool "yo mama" jokes.
Im not the one claiming Atlanta is the capitol of sophistication. BUT I can also make more of a case for Atlanta than Houston that's for sure.

Why am I not surprised you would go for the insults when you cannot defend what makes your city so sophisticated.Typical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 08:28 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,054,090 times
I would like to point out that "Beaux Arts" doesn't have anything to do with sophistication. I refers to a style of neo classical architecture popular from 1880 to 1920.

Beaux-Arts architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-10-2013, 08:44 PM

3,722 posts, read 3,878,758 times
Miami comes to mind right off the bat.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:08 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,674,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Im not the one claiming Atlanta is the capitol of sophistication. BUT I can also make more of a case for Atlanta than Houston that's for sure.

Why am I not surprised you would go for the insults when you cannot defend what makes your city so sophisticated.Typical.
Quote me where I said Houston was sophisticated, and please make your point of why Atlanta is more sophisticated than Houston. I need a good laugh.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Quote me where I said Houston was sophisticated, and please make your point of why Atlanta is more sophisticated than Houston. I need a good laugh.
Did you not get a good laugh when you looked in the mirror this morning?lol
So why did you lash out on me for making reasonable points about Houston?oh yeh...because I was right.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
So i'LL BITE!

Why Atlanta has more sophisticated than Houston?

Higher Educational attainment

More high end shopping,restaurants and 5star hotels

Better air connectivity

Atlanta has hosted more national and international events

More people visit Atlanta internationally and nationally
Atlanta is visible in the media and entertainment regularly with movie production and music

Atlanta has a more recognizable history and associations are synonymous with it(MLK Jr,Olympics,Coca-Cola,CNN,)

Atlanta is and Alpha -
Houston is Beta +

Old 11-11-2013, 01:30 AM

14,111 posts, read 22,753,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Miami comes to mind right off the bat.
Miami has a certain level of sophistication. I guess OVERALL, you may be right.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:15 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,674,548 times
Quote:
Did you not get a good laugh when you looked in the mirror this morning?lol
So why did you lash out on me for making reasonable points about Houston?oh yeh...because I was right.
Who needs mirrors when you look this good???

Old 11-11-2013, 11:02 AM

213 posts, read 308,273 times
Quote:
So i'LL BITE!

Why Atlanta has more sophisticated than Houston?

Higher Educational attainment

More high end shopping,restaurants and 5star hotels

Better air connectivity

Atlanta has hosted more national and international events

More people visit Atlanta internationally and nationally
Atlanta is visible in the media and entertainment regularly with movie production and music

Atlanta has a more recognizable history and associations are synonymous with it(MLK Jr,Olympics,Coca-Cola,CNN,)

Atlanta is and Alpha -
Houston is Beta +
In the end both cities have the same level of sophistication

More high end shopping and restaurants is up for review.

Houston has more Fortune 500 Companies

Larger arts scene as far as full time resident companies.

More billionaires and High Net Worth Individuals

More foreign trade and consulates along with being a gateway to Latin America.

Again, I would classify them both on the same level of sophistication.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:11 PM

7,820 posts, read 12,324,125 times
I think people in Denver and Dallas are very sophisticated in things like dress, cars, wine, food, etc, a lot more so than places like Oakland, Baltimore, etc. Philadelphia has a large number of urban poor, much more so than Austin and Denver. So while there is an element of old money in Philly, I think the AVERAGE Denver resident is more sophisticated in their tastes than the average Philly resident. Denver is a predominantl white collar, middle class, and suburban region while Philadelphia has a large blue collar component, and a large ghetto and illegal alien component as well. (There is nothing wrong with blue collar, there IS something wrong with ghetto). My experiences in Philadelphia have not been very pleasant and the area did not leave a positive impression on me. I did like it more than Los Angeles and New Jersey though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or