U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 09:14 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,283,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
All of CU's Nobel Prizes have been in the sciences, 6 in physics, 1 in chemistry, and 1 in physiology/medicine. Yes, Boulder is not in the city limits, nor is Villanova in the city limits of Philly. Big whoop at Philly's "regional universities". That is a lower level than "national university". Too bad Drexel "almost beats" the Colorado schools. It's still lower in ranking. Almost doesn't count.

What is a nouveau riche city? Denver's philanthropists, whether they are old money or new money, have donated plenty of money to the arts and education, e.g. the Boettchers, the Caulkins, the Evanses, Newmans, even the Coorses. Phil Anschutz gave a few millions for the new health sciences center.
Do you really believe what comes out of your mouth?LOL
It does not even matter.NO one in academic circles would ever say Denver is a traditional center of excellence in higher education as Philly clearly is.

You looking for every little way in to justify why Denver is better is just not working.Denver is a cool city but its hardly on anybody's radar as place that is sophistacated and cosmopolitan more than one of the nations oldest cities that played a crucial role in begining and through the years of how this country has developed culturally,democratically and economically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 09:27 PM

29,887 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What is a nouveau riche city?
Google is your friend: Nouveau riche - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Denver's philanthropists, whether they are old money or new money, have donated plenty of money to the arts and education, e.g. the Boettchers, the Caulkins, the Evanses, Newmans, even the Coorses. Phil Anschutz gave a few millions for the new health sciences center.
I never said Denver lacked this element; it would be pretty weird if a city that sizable did. But seriously, do you honestly think the city that was once the largest in North America, the birthplace of what has become the richest nation in the world, one of the nation's oldest cities, and the 6th largest metropolitan area in the country, is going to have less of this element than Denver????? I mean Philly had over half a million people and was second in population behind NYC in 1860 which was only two years after Denver was founded.

Denver does well for its size, for sure. But Philly is clearly in a higher tier. I wouldn't call Philly sophisticated overall, but it will clearly have more of that element in place--and for a lot longer--than Denver.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:41 AM

165 posts, read 221,230 times
Miami

Old 11-19-2013, 04:00 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,510,289 times
For me it would be (in this order)
Minneapolis
Philly
San Antonio
Sacramento

If we were to include Canada, than Ottawa would take the cake.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:22 AM

9,086 posts, read 13,283,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
For me it would be (in this order)
Minneapolis
Philly
San Antonio
Sacramento

If we were to include Canada, than Ottawa would take the cake.
OTTAWA?What a strange choice.On paper I could see Ottawa as a choice but it lacks character and a soul.Has no nightlife worth speaking about whatsoever and its culunary and shopping(although growing) are less than noteworthy.

Sacremento I can see.
San Antonio?Not at all whatsover.Lacking in the Arts,higer education and research,its not a particularly well educated populace and its does not have a very vibrant wealthy class like say Dallas or Houston..

Philly has some of it but not overall.Its as much as a blue collar city as it is sophisticated.You can find the blue collar somewhat easier than the sophisticated side.

Minneapolis is close but I'd say its more cosmopolitan than sophisticated.Great arts scene.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:22 PM

133 posts, read 462,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
OTTAWA?What a strange choice.On paper I could see Ottawa as a choice but it lacks character and a soul.Has no nightlife worth speaking about whatsoever and its culunary and shopping(although growing) are less than noteworthy.
I agree. It has some capital, since it's a national capital. But all the Ottawans invade Syracuse twice a year for back-to-school and Christmas shopping. I suppose going out of the country to shop for clothes is global, but not in the way the poster was intending.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:18 PM

56,534 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayonaise View Post
I agree. It has some capital, since it's a national capital. But all the Ottawans invade Syracuse twice a year for back-to-school and Christmas shopping. I suppose going out of the country to shop for clothes is global, but not in the way the poster was intending.
From what I've heard, it is due to higher prices there, more selection here and the Canadian dollar is just as strong. It is only about 3 hours away and I wouldn't be surprised if they come here quite a bit.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:43 PM

275 posts, read 397,801 times
Philly! but I think it's sophisticated. Others don't.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:38 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,510,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bird View Post
Philly! but I think it's sophisticated. Others don't.
Yes, Baltimore is more down to earth.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:18 AM

275 posts, read 397,801 times
Sydney!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or