U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:46 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,241,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Oh yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you there whatsoever. I'm not a fan of or interested in living in OC. Its just as expensive as LA County but yes, without the culture. I'd actually probably rather live in Riverside where at least one can afford a decent house. I had no idea you were going to compare OC with the rest of California. In this case, yes - I TOTALLY agree.

But even with all this, I would still say that there is still more sophisticated things in OC than most small metro areas of under 500,000 in most of the rest of the country. Its really just suburban thats all. But suburban areas outside world class cities still have access to a lot more culture than most parts of the country.

I will also add that, IMO North OC is a lot less pretentious, more middle class ethos, and more connected to LA proper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I'll also add a couple more things, the Bowers museum I thought was pretty cool for a suburban museum. I will add that Santa Ana although the more neglected OC town, actually probably has some of the most culture.

I also generally like the beaches a lot. The OC unlike LA County still has intact salt marsh/estuaries for bird habitat (Bolsa Chica, Upper Newport Bay, and Seal Beach naval base (although thats basically off limits as its part of the military). But yeah, just for visits, not to live there.
I'm beginning to learn all this stuff as I live here.

I wish I were in a position to choose to live in, say, downtown L.A., Pasadena, Burbank, Claremont, or parts of San Diego. But it makes sense to live close to where your life is, you know... The Inland Empire really strikes me as having some of the social features certain people think of when they think of Alabama, minus the Southern hospitality.

The Bay Area wasn't particularly warm and fuzzy, either, but up there I felt like one could at least find more enclaves of friendly, laid back, unpretentious, sophisticated, or some combo of them all when they looked around. If I stay in California longer term, it will probably be in one of the aforementioned communities, but I gotta tell you: I've been to Texas and Seattle and they're each pretty sweet in their own way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 08:21 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,790,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
According one report Vallejo, California is apparently one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the US(though it's obviously debatable). Vallejo is tops in the nation in ethnic diversity - Vallejo Times Herald

Though probably the most sophisicated thing to come out of Vallejo was E-40--and a night at the theatre usually means a trip to Marine World, sorry, Six Flags Discovery Kingdom to watch Jocko's Walrus Experience.

On the other hand, Vallejo did give the world pioneering early 90s white rap group N2Deep and their classic hit "Back to the Hotel". If that's not sophisticated, I don't know what is....

N2Deep - Back To The Hotel - YouTube
Old school joint. 2 White dudes out of Valley Joe. I prefer E-40 and Mac Dre personally. But as I've seen the stats, Vallejo is indeed super diverse.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/C9L4mRIgufs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Pzzj9zhvE5A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by polo89; 11-06-2013 at 08:30 PM..

Old 11-06-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post

I wish I were in a position to choose to live in, say, downtown L.A., Pasadena, Burbank, Claremont, or parts of San Diego. But it makes sense to live close to where your life is, you know... The Inland Empire really strikes me as having some of the social features certain people think of when they think of Alabama, minus the Southern hospitality.

The Bay Area wasn't particularly warm and fuzzy, either, but up there I felt like one could at least find more enclaves of friendly, laid back, unpretentious, sophisticated, or some combo of them all when they looked around. If I stay in California longer term, it will probably be in one of the aforementioned communities, but I gotta tell you: I've been to Texas and Seattle and they're each pretty sweet in their own way.
I heard DT LA is REALLY on the come-up. I've never been to California for me to judge how it is now compared to how it used to be. And in regards to Orange County, all those coastal CA communities always interested me.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:56 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,492,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post

Weren't you warned about OC before moving there? It's reputation as a neo-con ghetto of privileged MMA wannabees trapped in a guilded cage is well-deserved. Surviving it? Hike Modjeska Canyon; drink at Cooks Corner; drink and hike Laguna beach bluffs; sneak into the salt water pool at the HB Hyatt; Korean BBQ and Vietnamese in Westminster and Garden Grove; Volunteer at Catholic Worker in Santa Ana; bowl at Linbrook; Walk Bolsa Chica. Make frequent trips to LA, LB & SD to plan your relocation.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:30 PM

5,837 posts, read 10,803,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Weren't you warned about OC before moving there? It's reputation as a neo-con ghetto of privileged MMA wannabees trapped in a guilded cage is well-deserved. Surviving it? Hike Modjeska Canyon; drink at Cooks Corner; drink and hike Laguna beach bluffs; sneak into the salt water pool at the HB Hyatt; Korean BBQ and Vietnamese in Westminster and Garden Grove; Volunteer at Catholic Worker in Santa Ana; bowl at Linbrook; Walk Bolsa Chica. Make frequent trips to LA, LB & SD to plan your relocation.
Great post! Like I said, I wouldn't live in Orange County as a single guy, but I like your list.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:33 PM

7,838 posts, read 12,351,284 times
I would say both Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are cosmopolitan but not at all sophisticated. They both have a very blue collar, working class feel. And remember their most famous things are subs and cheesesteaks, delicious but not really haute cuisine. Philadelphia is known especially for its violent crime, ghetto neighborhoods and run-down reputation. I also guess having illegal immigrants from various countries makes an area cosmopolitan but doesn't contribute anything to sophistication.

Baltimore is another blue collar city that isn't truly sophisticated. Whether it is cosmopolitan or not is up to debate. Compare to Charleston, West Virginia where I live now, Baltimore is relatively cosmopolitan, but not everyone agrees.

Los Angeles is sophisticated because of the Hollywood/OC element, and Miami is sophisticated because of the tourist/South Beach/luxury element, but the inner cities themselves are NOT sophisticated.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Based on this post, even what would be regarded as the most boring, of CA's burbs, would seem like one of the most exciting urban clusters in any other state. Makes me want to visit Orange County.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:45 AM

13 posts, read 41,430 times
atl

Old 11-07-2013, 10:49 AM

4,155 posts, read 4,492,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Based on this post, even what would be regarded as the most boring, of CA's burbs, would seem like one of the most exciting urban clusters in any other state. Makes me want to visit Orange County.
I still recommend visiting there- it definitely has its charms. But the sociology never made me want to call it home. Then again, I know many good folks who have managed to do exactly that.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:02 AM

9,086 posts, read 13,306,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Many would say it's not as upscale as Charleston, but I still find it to be more so than it is even worldly. The SCAD footprint is pretty high-brow and sometimes downright pretentious.

As far as shopping, while it may lack in big name designers, it has respected fashion community with a number of boutiques to be found in the city. I believe there's a Marc Jacob store there.
Historically Charleston has been known to be more "upscale" than Savannah.It still is like you say when it comes to shopping.
However Savannah is more wordly.Largely due to its booming ports.
I find it fascinating to hang out on the bars there and see all the crews come in from the ships from all around the world.

SCAD also brings in quite a bit of culture and sophistication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or