U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-03-2013, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
17 posts, read 58,347 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

To me at least, cosmopolitan and sophisticated mean different things.

When I think sophistication, I think of appreciation for the beaux arts and access high-end shopping and dining.

While, to me, cosmopolitan means globally aware, diverse, and integrated. Cosmopolitan embraces high culture, low culture, pop culture, and immigrant cultures equally. Being cosmopolitan sees value in monster trucks as well as ballet. Being cosmopolitan means having an open mind, and not being afraid to be seen on the wrong side of the tracks. Cosmopolitanism is about inquiry, modesty, respect, and community.

Given this definition, are their any cities that you find to be cosmopolitan, but not necessary the most sophisticated?

I assume that Sacramento, Austin, or Raleigh might fit the bill, but have never been to any of those places.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-03-2013, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Denver
13,976 posts, read 18,695,428 times
Reputation: 8380
New Orleans. Sophistication has been coming online for a few years.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2013, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Finger Lakes Region, New York
133 posts, read 430,711 times
Reputation: 142
I've never been to New Orleans, but I can see it being a celebration of so many different cultures.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2013, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Finger Lakes Region, New York
133 posts, read 430,711 times
Reputation: 142
Houston, too might have that global awareness, but still being relatively laid back.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2013, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 20,277,910 times
Reputation: 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayonaise View Post
I've never been to New Orleans, but I can see it being a celebration of so many different cultures.
It really isnt. I think New Orleans is more sophisticated than it is cosmopolitan.

New Orleans is a city that is world class on some levels (food, nightlife, culture) and lacks in others (diversity, global-ness). I suppose that could be said about a lot of places.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2013, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Denver
13,976 posts, read 18,695,428 times
Reputation: 8380
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
It really isnt. I think New Orleans is more sophisticated than it is cosmopolitan.

New Orleans is a city that is world class on some levels (food, nightlife, culture) and lacks in others (diversity, global-ness). I suppose that could be said about a lot of places.
New Orleans doesn't lack in diversity at all when compared to average cities. Globalness? Everyone know's what and where New Orleans is, but from an economic stand point falls far far behind. Shopping is also very lacking for such a tourism driven city. That's part of the sophistication.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2013, 04:24 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,317,928 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayonaise View Post
Houston, too might have that global awareness, but still being relatively laid back.
Yet still having plenty of sophistication. The high arts and fashion exist here along with a very wealthy and well-traveled population to support them.

New Orleans is a good answer. Definitely very eclectic, but still a bit unrefined and rough around the edges. A lack of state of the art facilities and institutions and not much of a shopping destination. Don't get me wrong, there is a high end, worldly sect, but it makes up a much smaller percentage of the city's culture.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2013, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Denver
13,976 posts, read 18,695,428 times
Reputation: 8380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

New Orleans is a good answer. Definitely very eclectic, but still a bit unrefined and rough around the edges. A lack of state of the art facilities and institutions and not much of a shopping destination. Don't get me wrong, there is a high end, worldly sect, but it makes up a much smaller percentage of the city's culture.
That wordly population, mostly well-traveled young professionals, is rising quickly. Lots of rough edges though, more like Rio than Sydney.

I think the sophistication can live in an unrefined city. It's what makes the city.


What about Savannah?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2013, 05:01 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,317,928 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That wordly population, mostly well-traveled young professionals, is rising quickly. Lots of rough edges though, more like Rio than Sydney.

I think the sophistication can live in an unrefined city. It's what makes the city.


What about Savannah?
Savannah is less rowdy than New Orleans. It's slower, a bit more conservative, and more into the arts and fashion.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2013, 05:03 PM
 
Location: Denver
13,976 posts, read 18,695,428 times
Reputation: 8380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Savannah is less rowdy than New Orleans. It's slower, a bit more conservative, and more into the arts and fashion.
Seems a good candidate for this thread.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top