Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 11:40 AM

484 posts, read 882,217 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in college and doing research on where I would like to live after college. I enjoy lots of warm weather and sunshine, and this one of the most important factors in my search. What I've seen from the research I've done is that generally there are few cities with this kind of weather that offer good job markets and other positive factors. Anyway, here's what I'm trying to find:

Weather: Lots of sunshine, generally warm, little rain, little to moderate humidity.
Job market: I will have geography degree so cities with lots of government jobs and colleges is a plus
Cost of living: I will be on a modest budget, so it should be reasonable
Crime: I just don't want a high violent crime rate.
Walkability: I would like a place that's walkable and has good public transport, but this is last on the list.

Any matches for cities, or region(s) of the country I should look in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 11:53 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Sounds like Southern California to me though the reasonable/modest budget set of criteria is open for interpretation not knowing what your salary will be. Millions live comfortably in Southern California on salaries similar to yours so it should be fine.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:58 AM

484 posts, read 882,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Sounds like Southern California to me though the reasonable/modest budget set of criteria is open for interpretation not knowing what your salary will be. Millions live comfortably in Southern California on salaries similar to yours so it should be fine.
Southern California would be one of, if not my top choice. The only thing that worries me is the economy and cost of living. I will certainly look through some different places in the region though.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:07 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Denver may work, if you don't mind its winter.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:19 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
The warm weather thing means you are limiting yourself to the Sunbelt and the LA/San Diego area sounds perfect for this. But there is that cost of living thing in these areas.

Houston and Dallas will have a lower COL and strong economies, but can be extremely humid and both are relatively weak in mass transit and walkability. (I don't know about San Antonio, El Paso, and Austin) In fact all the bigger cities in Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, and the Carolinas, will have stretches of near unbearable humidity during the summer. There's a reason the Deep South didn't blossom until the advent of cheap air-conditioning.

So check out Phoenix, Albuquerque, Tuscon, Vegas, and other arid and semi-arid areas. They're hot, but not humid. And they'll have a lower COL. You'd probably need a car in all those spots. But the job picture for government I do not know. Frankly speaking, government jobs--local, state, and federal--are rarer everywhere because of years of budget cuts. For a greater choice of government jobs you might head to the DC Metro, but it doesn't have the wather you want and it has a high COL.

Tradeoffs, tradeoffs, tradeoffs...

Old 11-06-2013, 01:25 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,286,837 times
It depends on what you want to do with your geography degree. If you're coming from an environmental mindset, I'm thinking SoCal. If you're wanting to work for industry (oil/gas/coal/forestry)look at New Mexico.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:27 PM

132 posts, read 545,584 times
Tucson
Sacramento
Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.