U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 02:25 PM

10 posts, read 17,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
Well, Malcolm and the Middle was filmed in Los Angeles, so one recommendation would be the suburbs of LA. That's the key here- what you're looking for is the suburbs. Not quite the city, not quite the country, but the spaces in between. The thing is, suburbs are literally all over the country- that's the idea behind The Simpsons hometown- its supposed to be a town that could exist anywhere. I think you may need to give us some more specific criteria to make it easier to recommend a destination to you- do you have a preference for climate, eastern part of the country as opposed to the western part, etc.?

If you could only visit one place, the Chicago area would give you the big city, TONS of suburbs, two Major League baseball parks, and plenty of rural areas once you get outside of the city. Even though its a major city its still very domestically 'American'- its a huge hub for air traffic so you could probably get an affordable flight there, and then explore outside of the city through bus, train, or renting a car. Unfortunately it will be very cold this time of year.

For your top two pictures, those have more of a rural, Southwestern vibe...Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada. The bottom picture can be found at any county fair or state fair, almost anywhere in the country. But generally I think you're looking for the Midwest.
Criteria

- Not too hot. Hate the heat. I like rain, overcast and snow in the winter (not all the time though!)
- I like the northeast down to Virginia and like the PacNW to Idaho, Montana, Wyoming area.
- I hate really busy cities and would like somewhere with good public transport.
- I am interested in US history. The Revolution and Depression-era mobsters are my favourite

Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 02:26 PM

4,269 posts, read 6,351,433 times
You can find minor league ballparks and state fairs almost anywhere in the US outside of the big cities. And contrary to what you may think, the states of California and New York are huge, and encompass far far more than just Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Manhattan, and the Brooklyn Bridge. Both states are full of small towns once you get away from the big cities and those towns have, depending on the season you're there, baseball, rodeos, retro diners, state fairs, strip malls, and all the rest of that "typical" American stuff. You'll see different geographic features across the country -- plains, forests, deserts, swamps, seashores, mountains -- but the human constructs of small-town and suburban life are remarkably similar from place to place and you can find those almost anywhere.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:36 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,036,454 times
Generally, those images you posted can be found in most any major American cities. Numerous cities have baseball stadiums, there's plenty of 1950s style diners scattered all over the place, and state fairs tend to be common in pretty much anywhere with a history of farming areas (so generally the Midwest).

The TV shows you mention are generally depictions of suburban America which is only really varied by the cultures of people living there. Those TV shows represent a generalization that isn't specific to anywhere in America.

The United States is a huge country with diversity on every corner. Even LA and NYC are as different from each other just like how European countries differ from each other. Even visiting the touristy areas doesn't mean you'll have a bad time. A lot of places still make pretty good experiences even if you've seen the place on TV a million times. I still personally would like to visit NYC or LA just to experience it for myself.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:43 PM

17,259 posts, read 19,555,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin.haart View Post
Criteria

- Not too hot. Hate the heat. I like rain, overcast and snow in the winter (not all the time though!)
- I like the northeast down to Virginia and like the PacNW to Idaho, Montana, Wyoming area.
- I hate really busy cities and would like somewhere with good public transport.
- I am interested in US history. The Revolution and Depression-era mobsters are my favourite
For American Revolutionary history, I would look to visiting various sites spanning the states from Massachusetts to Virginia. Do some research on the history of that era and what interests you.

That's good narrowing criteria.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:55 PM

21,328 posts, read 21,900,953 times
Quote:
First of all, I am sorry my English is not good but I come from the Netherlands. I would like to visit the US, but not to go to place like NY or California because they are too "tourist-ic". I would like to go to the "America" presented in my favourite TV shows.

Shows I am talking about are Malcolm in the Middle, the Simpsons, and the Middle.

I know Malcolm's location never was revealed but I am big fan and know that they live near a desert, 4hrs away from Alabama and that there are tropical trees and a hill/mountain/canyon park behind their house. I know it was filmed in LA, but i'd like to know the America the producers are trying to portray.

The Simpsons is set in Oregon and the Middle in Indiana. The Simpsons never reveals the location (like Malcolm) so what America are they trying to portray?

Do you think I should visit somewhere in the midwest? Is this what I am thinking of?

I will post pictures because I not a great orator. And these pictures demonstrate what I visual when I think AMERICA!
The Blue Swallow Motel is still in operation in Tucamari, New Mexico and is a National Landmark and Treasure located on the most famous and iconic road in America, Route 66 conecting Chicago to Santa Monica, California. While most of the road has long since been bypassed by super highways, enough of the route still exists along the back roads and "blue highways" to make this one of the best ways to see the middle of the country. Loads of info, guides and maps on-line to fill your time with things to research on this.

Mac's Diner recently closed in Fall River, Mass., but many more of these iconic diners exist in nearly every city and town in America. The Cleveland County Fair is in North Carolina.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:04 PM

178 posts, read 349,919 times
Quote:
Criteria

Thanks so much
Well, based on that criteria Ohio would be a good place to visit. It's very unrecognized, despite being home to about 11.5million people who reside in it's three largest metros (Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Columbus). All of which are great and even the much smaller towns in the outer areas are filled with great character and history ie East Liverpool, Portsmouth, Lancaster, Gallipolis, and Sugarcreek.

But I also agree; Oregon and Washington state are some really great places too, though lean more towards Oregon since it's the lesser touristy. Hope this helps...

Old 11-05-2013, 03:57 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,418,615 times
Quote:
Criteria

Thanks so much
Vermont or Maine

Old 11-05-2013, 05:36 PM

4,240 posts, read 2,514,792 times
I think you're looking for the Midwest. Fly into Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Columbus or Cincinnati and rent a car. Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois and parts of Pennsylvania would be perfect. In the Cleveland area, you will find a baseball park, football field, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame museum and the Football Hall of Fame in nearby Canton. The city is on Lake Erie, one of the Great Lakes. That Columbus or Detroit would be a good central location to explore the region.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:00 PM

347 posts, read 414,967 times
Quote:
I am so sorry, mister. I did not me to offend you Please accept my apologetics
No, I apologize, my tone with this post should have been POSITIVE but it wasn't. You are at no fault.

I was merely taking out my frustration with AMERICAN politicians taking this country in the wrong direction. I was merely taking out my frustration on how I had a bad experience in TORONTO,CANADA, my first visit to that country back in 2009, as an adult.

The same things that encouraged me to go to CANADA, like the TELEVISON shows and programs from CANADA, commercials, actually let me down when I visited CANADA.

One experience I had at the Toronto CN Tower was I was yelled at, by teenage girls working there no less, for taking a photo inside of the CN Tower, because THEY WANTED ME TO BUY a photo that they took with their CAMERA instead of the one I took. THEY YELLED AT ME ALL BECAUSE THEY WANTED TO MAKE MONEY OFF ME. I was a tourist to that country from America and I will never go BACK TO CANADA AGAIN.

I have many more negative stories but I am tired of all the lies.

Now you want to experience AMERICA because of what you see on TELEVISION. I am going to be honest and say America has many social problems and economic problems. AMERICA LOVES PEOPLE WITH money and america will welcome you with open arms as long as you are paying for your experience here with your money.

I chose Washington State because it is not as TOURISTY and naturally when AMERICANS go on vacation the majority of the time it's to states like CALIFORNIA, FLORIDA, NEW YORK, TEXAS. SO naturally you should not be so overwhelmed there. Like I mentioned Baseball season is over. I recommend seeing a BASKETBALL game or an AMERICAN FOOTBALL(not soccer) game.

Washington state has a town where many establishments look old world German. Washington State has many types of ethnic foods from many countries around the world and has much nature to be experienced. It's worth a trip.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:07 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,970,511 times
Well, there are no deserts anywhere NEAR Alabama ... I think the writers of the show did that just so people could never accuse them of setting in the show in a particular town or state. The same is true for "The Simpons" and "Springfield." Matt Groening chose that name because there is literally a Springfield in just about every U.S. state. In fact, the topic has been a running gag in the series from the very beginning. Some Springfields even have claimed the title of "Home of the Simpsons," but it's never been identified.

That all said, I think you can't go wrong in the American South. You could fly into Atlanta, rent a car and drive around for weeks exploring the surrounding states and small towns. From Atlanta, you're just a couple hours from rural Alabama, the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains, country music in Nashville, the beaches along the Gulf Coast and Atlantic Coast. Both Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA are amazing historic cities with plenty to see and do. You could also visit Disney World down in Orlando, which is about as fake as America comes but represents middle America nonetheless, sadly.

Depending on what time of year you come, the weather in the South would be a nice change of pace from The Netherlands. Just don't come in the middle of summer or you might die LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or