U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 01:38 PM

10 posts, read 17,018 times

Advertisements

First of all, I am sorry my English is not good but I come from the Netherlands. I would like to visit the US, but not to go to place like NY or California because they are too "tourist-ic". I would like to go to the "America" presented in my favourite TV shows.

Shows I am talking about are Malcolm in the Middle, the Simpsons, and the Middle.

I know Malcolm's location never was revealed but I am big fan and know that they live near a desert, 4hrs away from Alabama and that there are tropical trees and a hill/mountain/canyon park behind their house. I know it was filmed in LA, but i'd like to know the America the producers are trying to portray.

The Simpsons is set in Oregon and the Middle in Indiana. The Simpsons never reveals the location (like Malcolm) so what America are they trying to portray?

Do you think I should visit somewhere in the midwest? Is this what I am thinking of?

I will post pictures because I not a great orator. And these pictures demonstrate what I visual when I think AMERICA!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 01:54 PM

347 posts, read 414,712 times
These are just pictures and not REAL AMERICA.

American MEDIA is really good at selling other countries into thinking there is a lot of HARMONY in this country. When American MEDIA makes a movie or a show they test how people would respond to it. They don't just make the movie assuming people will love it automatically. An American show can be aimed at a specific ETHNIC person, like a white person, a black person, or an asian person, or a latino person. These pictures did the job it's supposed to do that's why you are here.

My advise, STAY AWAY from California, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas.

Washington State and Oregon state might appeal to you, though it has it's fair share of TOURISTY things.

Washington State has the Seattle mariners and Seattle seahawks.

Baseball season is over so if you are planning to come here now, your best move is to see a basketball game or football game.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyexpat View Post

American MEDIA is really good at selling other countries into thinking there is a lot of HARMONY in this country. When American MEDIA makes a movie or a show they test how people would respond to it. They don't just make the movie assuming people will love it automatically. An American show can be aimed at a specific ETHNIC person, like a white person, a black person, or an asian person, or a latino person. These pictures did the job it's supposed to do that's why you are here.
I am so sorry, mister. I did not me to offend you Please accept my apologetics

Old 11-05-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:

My advise, STAY AWAY from California, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas.

Washington State and Oregon state might appeal to you, though it has it's fair share of TOURISTY things.

Washington State has the Seattle mariners and Seattle seahawks.

Baseball season is over so if you are planning to come here now, your best move is to see a basketball game or football game.
Why stay away from those places? And why Washington state?

Thank you for your response, you are very most helpful

Old 11-05-2013, 02:06 PM

520 posts, read 869,159 times
Quote:

He said he's looking for Malcom in the Middle, not Leave it to Beaver. There's nothing harmonious about Malcolm in the Middle or The Simpsons; those show are about hilarious disfunction.

Yes, you figured it out: the job of Malcom and the Middle was to bring Dutch tourists to the US. You unhelpful, off-topic, trolling clod with horrible grammar. I'm sad to hear that diners and baseball parks evidently don't really exist; thank goodness we made it through the World Series before they all disappeared.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:06 PM

7,278 posts, read 13,525,158 times
I think the "America" depicted in that baseball stadium might be Japan.

In fact, I know it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanshin_Koshien_Stadium

And the last picture is of the Cleveland County Fair in Shelby, North Carolina, which is west of Charlotte near the NC/SC border.

But to answer your question, OP, I think you can find what you're looking for in most of suburban America. Granted, you're seeing a fictionalized depiction, distilled and simplified, but the suburban streets you seem to be seeking can be found in every state, and is particularly associated with the Midwest (Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, etc.). Most of it might prove quite dull to visit, I'm afraid.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post

In fact, I know it is. Koshien Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And the last picture is of the Cleveland County Fair in Shelby, North Carolina, which is west of Charlotte near the NC/SC border.
Fun! I didn't see that, well I just wanted a ballpark to represent it.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post

In fact, I know it is. Koshien Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But to answer your question, OP, I think you can find what you're looking for in most of suburban America. Granted, you're seeing a fictionalized depiction, distilled and simplified, but the suburban streets you seem to be seeking can be found in every state, and is particularly associated with the Midwest (Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, etc.). Most of it might prove quite dull to visit, I'm afraid.
What state has both the image I'm looking for and a fun place to visit? Washington state like the male above suggested?

Old 11-05-2013, 02:19 PM

17,237 posts, read 19,536,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin.haart View Post
Do you think I should visit somewhere in the midwest? Is this what I am thinking of?

I will post pictures because I not a great orator. And these pictures demonstrate what I visual when I think AMERICA!
Many people consider Ohio to be the quintessential "middle American" state.

In reality, you can find middle America in virtually every state in the U.S. That's what this country is all about. So, you've got a lot of places to choose from. :-)

Old 11-05-2013, 02:21 PM

520 posts, read 869,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin.haart View Post
First of all, I am sorry my English is not good but I come from the Netherlands. I would like to visit the US, but not to go to place like NY or California because they are too "tourist-ic". I would like to go to the "America" presented in my favourite TV shows.

Shows I am talking about are Malcolm in the Middle, the Simpsons, and the Middle.

I know Malcolm's location never was revealed but I am big fan and know that they live near a desert, 4hrs away from Alabama and that there are tropical trees and a hill/mountain/canyon park behind their house. I know it was filmed in LA, but i'd like to know the America the producers are trying to portray.

The Simpsons is set in Oregon and the Middle in Indiana. The Simpsons never reveals the location (like Malcolm) so what America are they trying to portray?

Well, Malcolm and the Middle was filmed in Los Angeles, so one recommendation would be the suburbs of LA. That's the key here- what you're looking for is the suburbs. Not quite the city, not quite the country, but the spaces in between. The thing is, suburbs are literally all over the country- that's the idea behind The Simpsons hometown- its supposed to be a town that could exist anywhere. I think you may need to give us some more specific criteria to make it easier to recommend a destination to you- do you have a preference for climate, eastern part of the country as opposed to the western part, etc.?

If you could only visit one place, the Chicago area would give you the big city, TONS of suburbs, two Major League baseball parks, and plenty of rural areas once you get outside of the city. Even though its a major city its still very domestically 'American'- its a huge hub for air traffic so you could probably get an affordable flight there, and then explore outside of the city through bus, train, or renting a car. Unfortunately it will be very cold this time of year.

For your top two pictures, those have more of a rural, Southwestern vibe...Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada. The bottom picture can be found at any county fair or state fair, almost anywhere in the country. But generally I think you're looking for the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or