Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 02:49 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The furlough did affect a lot of people, but it's a rare occurrence that happened after 17 years.

What I'm saying is that people here live their lives much more preoccupied with other things - work, school, family, friends, shopping, dining, festivals, museums, concerts, games, outdoor activities, hobbies, vacations, and on and on - that they are oblivious to politics most of the time.
Unfortunately I can't rep you again, but I'm more than happy to spread it around BCD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
It's funny how recent films have portrayed Boston as a crime-ridden haven for Irish mobsters and bank robbers, and especially how particular neighborhoods (South Boston and Charlestown) are portrayed in this light. These places may have approached those levels of roughness a few decades ago, but nowadays they are gentrification central with luxury condos and artisanal cheese shops.
Someday Mattapan and Dorchester will be next as well.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:54 PM

I know people tend to confuse the City of Miami for Miami Beach sometimes in real life.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:59 PM

484 posts, read 882,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I know people tend to confuse the City of Miami for Miami Beach sometimes in real life.
They're worlds apart.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:02 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
You mean like Lebron James when he said he would be taking his talents to South Beach? The Miami Heat play in Miami proper so he has furthered that perception with his remarks.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:10 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
They're worlds apart.
You got that right.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:22 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The furlough did affect a lot of people, but it's a rare occurrence that happened after 17 years.

What I'm saying is that people in the Washington, D.C. area live their lives much more preoccupied with other things - work, school, family, friends, shopping, dining, festivals, museums, concerts, games, outdoor activities, hobbies, vacations, and on and on - that they are oblivious to politics most of the time.
That would describe 90 percent of the U.S. population, not just DC. But the fact remains that an ENORMOUSLY large percentage of DC area residents are employed in occupations directly related to the operation of the federal government, and that ABSOLUTELY is affected by politics. You can't really separate the two, in my book.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:10 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
The entire state of Montana. We don't all hunt, fish, hike or ski all day. Some don't do any of those things at all. Two thirds of the state is flat, prairie land, not glorious mountains. The antigovernment conspiracy theorist or Aryan Nation types are in the extreme minority. The rest of us just live and let live. There are actually a lot of priuses on the road, not everyone drives pick-up trucks. I live in a lame cookie cutter neighborhood just like people all across America. Most people don't live on ranches. In fact, real estate in Montana is much more expensive than people think. Just look at the Montana forum where people romanticize moving to MT and buying a cabin on 20 acres. Sure, if you have $400,000 for a modest cabin maybe. If you only have $250,000 to spend, you can buy my house, 15 minutes outside of town (so cheaper than average) that's the same model house as four of my neighbors on less than half an acre. You're not getting into anything for less than $150,000. And it doesn't snow in most Montana towns as much as Hollywood would lead you to believe. The mountains get a lot of snow but the towns are mostly in the valleys.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:46 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Outside of C-D, people do confuse Miami Beach with the city of Miami, when in fact, they are 2 diffirent cities, and there are great levels of poverty in the city of Miami. On the flipside, folks on C-D, confuse the worst ghettos of Miami that DO infact have poverty, with the whole Miami-Dade County and vicinity. Liberty City is Liberty City. It isn't Kendall, it isn't Coconut Grove, it isn't Coral Gables, it is Liberty City. And even Liberty City it's self can be subdivided into smaller sections such as Brownsville(which really IS ghetto), and other parts of Liberty City with LOVELY looking housing, and a great middle-class income and environment. Tree-lined streets, folks chilling outside, etc, etc, like the area near Crestwood Park and right across I-95 from Little Haiti:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=liber...12,166.37,,0,0

Old 11-06-2013, 04:51 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,811,724 times
The Twin Cities are not like the Minnesota that is portrayed by the Cohen brothers. They are channeling the Minnesota of the '60s that they grew up in. Minneapolis has changed a lot since then. It has made the leap from provincial center to big, cosmopolitan city in that time. Rural Minnesota is still somewhat Fargoesque, but with meth in the trailer parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.