U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 02:23 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,333,374 times

Advertisements

Americans seem to have become much more conscious of health-related issues over the past fifteen years or so. I don't remember anyone going to "work out" at a gym when I was young, but now it is very common. Chains like Curves, Anytime Fitness, 24-Hour Fitness, etc. are everywhere now, even in working-class neighborhoods. Campuses have also made massive expansions to their gym facilities. Little shops selling nutritional shakes like those marketed by Herbalife and Body By Vi have become a cottage industry over the last decade. Although fad diets have always existed, usually concentrating on some macronutrient (carbs, fat, etc.), the popularity of organic foods, the panic about HFCS, the "paleo diet", etc. seem to sprung up in the past 10 years.

Yet obesity has also risen simultaneously, without a respite in sight. When I was in high school (graduated '05), very few kids were obese or even visibly overweight; when my sister's graduating class (2012) walked down the aisle, I could see something had definitely changed. My dad, himself morbidly obese, would often comment while waiting out in the supermarket parking lot that people have become a lot fatter today; he died in 2006, and I wonder what he would say in 2013. Why are we becoming simultaneously more health-conscious and obese? Or, has health consciousness really risen like I described?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 02:40 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,562,047 times
Diet fads and gyms make more money when fat people need to lose weight, the more fat people, the more diet books sell and the more gym memberships are bought.

You don't need either to be in shape though. I consume quite a bit of calories but never junk food or fast food and never count them but I also run, bike and walk a lot. Fat people don't understand this, that is why they got fat, b/c they aren't active and work office jobs that they drive to and haven't run a mile since 8th grade and eat mostly processed foods. The main problem to me is lack of activity though. I only go to the gym to lift weights or if it is really cold out, cardio machines aren't that good to me compared to actually running.

It's really hard to put on weight if you are a runner for instance b/c you are often in a caloric deficit and need to actually load carbs like a ton of rice or a box of spaghetti, I had to reduce my cardio some just to get more calories in an add some lean muscle mass.

I used to be fat from about 8-12 years old, it pretty much coincided with me getting a Nintendo in the late 80s. So, I just started doing sprints, jogging, push ups, sit ups and pull ups on a tree branch and it all shedded off in a summer. Never stepped foot in a gym or ate any weird diets. Probably good thing I was too young to know about any of them.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:41 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,994,279 times
Lots of more thyroid problems these days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.