U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities have the most braggarts? Choose up to 3
Baltimore/Washington DC 4 4.17%
San Francisco/Oakland 28 29.17%
Boston/Cambridge 13 13.54%
New York City 34 35.42%
Chicago 19 19.79%
Los Angeles 18 18.75%
Miami 7 7.29%
Houston 25 26.04%
Dallas/Fort Worth 16 16.67%
Seattle 22 22.92%
Atlanta 15 15.63%
Denver 5 5.21%
Philadelphia 20 20.83%
St. Louis 6 6.25%
Phoenix 5 5.21%
Other (Please Specify) 3 3.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:38 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,237,770 times

Advertisements

I would imagine New York, but I don't have any personal experience.

L.A.'s westside tends to have plenty of people who are quite full of themselves. The rest of the city and county of L.A. either have working- or middle-class people who are just proud to be from there or who hate it and want to move elsewhere. I don't picture L.A. altogether as a braggart city.

I would think Miami would be very showy and flashy in some areas, but not necessarily verbal braggarts. Maybe I'm wrong.

San Francisco and Orange County have tons of braggarts. Very arrogant populations. The irony is this, however: go across the bay to Oakland from SF, or north into the working-class parts of L.A. County from OC, and you immediately notice some difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 07:39 PM

4,073 posts, read 3,104,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Absolutely true. As a prime example Orlando really needs to be part of this poll and if you don't believe it, read some of the posts from those who jump on anyone that has anything negative to say in the Orlando Forum.
I admit that Orlando crossed my mind but so did a number of other cities not included such as Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, San Diego, Austin, Sacramento, Portland OR and Charlotte NC. At what number of options would a poll become too unwieldy?

Old 11-06-2013, 07:49 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,398,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Well believe it. In these cities, homerism reigns supreme. Though I might just be thinking about CD posters from these cities.
Oh no, it's definitely on C-D. In real life on the other hand, they're more humble for the most part.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:59 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,398,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I admit that Orlando crossed my mind but so did a number of other cities not included such as Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, San Diego, Austin, Sacramento, Portland OR and Charlotte NC. At what number of options would a poll become too unwieldy?
In comparison to most of the other polls I've seen on C-D, yours is among the shortest to be honest Trust me, I've seen bigger polls on here lol.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Status: "Got the rocking modern neon sound" (set 18 days ago)

2,060 posts, read 2,003,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Which cities have the most braggarts? You know the type, the people who refuse to acknowledge that their city has any faults and bristle when someone else views their city as mediocre or average.
I feel like there might be two different types of "braggarts".

There are (I think) some people who don't go out of their way to brag about their city, but who will "refuse to acknowledge that their city has any faults and bristle when someone else views their city as mediocre or average". I think these cities might have people like that: LA, Seattle, Portland, NYC, (and maybe) SF.

Then there are the cities whose residents recognize their own faults, maybe even joke about them, but still brag about their city non-stop to anyone and everyone who will listen to them. I'd imagine cities like Boston, Philly, Chicago, Houston, and NYC would have more people like this.

So NYC is, imo, an obvious choice here, and the other two are a bit less obvious.

And, of course there are cities that I personally don't think have many "braggarts" such as Atlanta, Minneapolis, Denver, Pittsburg, Charlotte, Phoenix.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:05 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,489,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Says somebody from the Bay Area.

I'm born and raised in San Jose, now residing in SoCal. I don't understand this irrational hate to the southland that people in the Bay Area have.
I've given up asking why, or even caring. Welcome to SoCal.

I wonder how many people expressing an opinion on this subject are drawing from zero personal experience.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Bostoners don't really brag - they are just better than everybody else.
The correct vernacular is Bostonian. This fictional character fits your description: Major Charles Emerson Winchester III - Monster M*A*S*H

Old 11-06-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
In comparison to most of the other polls I've seen on C-D, yours is among the shortest to be honest Trust me, I've seen bigger polls on here lol.
Good to know.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:13 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,633,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I feel like there might be two different types of "braggarts".

There are (I think) some people who don't go out of their way to brag about their city, but who will "refuse to acknowledge that their city has any faults and bristle when someone else views their city as mediocre or average". I think these cities might have people like that: LA, Seattle, Portland, NYC, (and maybe) SF.
I think it's funny that you put maybe, San Francisco...

The Pacific Northwest has a different sort of this in some ways. In real life, the attitude in Portland(or some other places in the Northwest) of natives is often "I love this place more than anywhere and will defend it if anyone puts it down, but why the hell would anyone ever want to move here." And they're more than willing to criticize aspects of the city, but don't like newcomers to do it. It's the more recent transplants who buy into the whole Portland hype more so and often are really excitable(and often are disappointed when the paradise they envisioned doesn't work out). It's often people get very defensive in terms of Portland when anything bad is brought up about the place, but it's really because it's always been a sort of pleasant medium sized provincial city that's gotten a lot of hype only recently (and Seattle and Vancouver are similar in the same way, though much more prideful overall and confident).

San Francisco on the other hand, is proud of it's place, to the point that it's boastful and a little smug. A lot of the Bay Area is like that--most of my family is down there and they are always "big leaguing" anyone not living in the area about how great it is there and all the amenities they're close to. Not saying everyone is like that(overall you'll find a range of opinions and attitudes), but it is often very proud group of residents. And it is a great area IMO, but yeah, it goes with the territory. But people I know down there can be super-critical as well about the area at the same time.

On the other hand, CityData is a different bag, because almost every city has a few super-boosters--who become so defensive about anything posted about their city that it's almost like a Bat signal where they appear anytime their city is mentioned. It's just a CityData thing, just like there's the haters, who had a bad year in some suburb of some city and move onto the next city they're really excited about(for the next year) but still like to bash their last city whenever they can find an opportunity. I do enjoy when the haters get more and more dramatic with their vendetta about how terrible their former city was--and then clash into the boosters. And then the whole thing goes haywire until the mods shut it down...

Last edited by Deezus; 11-06-2013 at 09:40 PM..

Old 11-06-2013, 09:20 PM
BMI

7,266 posts, read 4,519,143 times
Going by posters on C-D....

San Francisco #1
Chicago #2
Philadelphia #3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or