U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities have the most braggarts? Choose up to 3
Baltimore/Washington DC 4 4.17%
San Francisco/Oakland 28 29.17%
Boston/Cambridge 13 13.54%
New York City 34 35.42%
Chicago 19 19.79%
Los Angeles 18 18.75%
Miami 7 7.29%
Houston 25 26.04%
Dallas/Fort Worth 16 16.67%
Seattle 22 22.92%
Atlanta 15 15.63%
Denver 5 5.21%
Philadelphia 20 20.83%
St. Louis 6 6.25%
Phoenix 5 5.21%
Other (Please Specify) 3 3.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 09:23 PM

416 posts, read 570,748 times

Advertisements

Are we talking about people on the site or in general?

From what I usually read on here, easily Atlanta. In general... L.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 09:24 PM

9,432 posts, read 18,331,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Dude, everything you say about Seattle is 100% applicable to Boston. It is like they are long lost twins.

-mostly white but claims to be diverse: checkmark
-high cost of living: checkmark
-bad traffic due to bad infrastructure: checkmark
-early last call, no late night public transit: checkmark
-hostile women: checkmark
-provincial and insular: checkmark
As someone who has lived in both Seattle and Boston, I'd say Seattle is worse. Bostonians tend to be more on the sarcastic side and even have a sense of humor about many of their faults. Seattleites get their panties in a bunch if anything less than perfect is said about their city. If it's a crappy weather day many Bostonians many will likely agree and acknowledge that and make fun of it. To insinuate that in Seattle one may get a reaction of if you don't like the rain then hightail it to California, because their climate is perfect. Generalizing? Perhaps, but not far off. They are both provincial cities though yes, but I find Bostonians to be more agreeable and good humored.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 11-06-2013 at 09:34 PM..

Old 11-06-2013, 09:39 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,616,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
As someone who has lived in both Seattle and Boston, I'd say Seattle is worse. Bostonians tend to be more on the sarcastic side and even have a sense of humor about many of their faults. Seattleites get their panties in a bunch if anything less than perfect is said about their city. If it's a crappy weather day many Bostonians many will likely agree and acknowledge that and make fun of it. If that's I mentioned in Seattle one may say if you don't like the rain then hightail it to California, because their climate is perfect. Generalizing? Perhaps, but not far off. They are both provincial cities though yes, but I find Bostonians to be more agreeable and good humored.

Yeah, that seems to be pretty true.

I almost always get along with people from Boston(both in visiting the city itself and dealing with transplanted Bostonians) because they have such a nice sense of sarcasm and aren't afraid to be a little sardonic with their wit. Sometimes it's hard to be a cynical joker in the Northwest, because people just look at you like you're an a-hole and then passive aggressively turn you into a pariah for being negative. People from Boston will either laugh with you or just straight out tell you with a smile that you really are sort of an a-hole and then laugh about it...

Old 11-06-2013, 09:39 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,389,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
Are we talking about people on the site or in general?

From what I usually read on here, easily Atlanta. In general... L.A.
I did it based on the site San Francisco, Atlanta, and Houston in that order.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:42 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,389,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
As someone who has lived in both Seattle and Boston, I'd say Seattle is worse. Bostonians tend to be more on the sarcastic side and even have a sense of humor about many of their faults. Seattleites get their panties in a bunch if anything less than perfect is said about their city. If it's a crappy weather day many Bostonians many will likely agree and acknowledge that and make fun of it. To insinuate that in Seattle one may get a reaction of if you don't like the rain then hightail it to California, because their climate is perfect. Generalizing? Perhaps, but not far off. They are both provincial cities though yes, but I find Bostonians to be more agreeable and good humored.
I would bet that that is the by-product of the infamous 'Seattle Freeze' isn't it?

Old 11-06-2013, 10:17 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,363,801 times
Keep in mind that I love L.A., especially for being home to so much of my family. But what intrigues me is how bragadocious Angelenos are about a city that gives you so little uniqueness. I mean really, what are the things you hear Angelenos brag about? Most just tout the brand name of the city because of an entertainment industry thats irrelevant to the majority of residents. Besides that, what makes it so different from San Diego

Not that I don't like the city, like I said I love LA, but I just don't understand the arrogance. And if someone brags on their city for having the 2nd highest population in America, then my question is "How does that add value to your life there everyday"

Last edited by Chilly Gentilly; 11-06-2013 at 10:30 PM..

Old 11-06-2013, 10:31 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,484,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Keep in mind that I love L.A., especially for being home to so much of my family. But what intrigues me is how bragadocious Angelenos are about a city that gives you so little uniqueness. I mean really, what are the things you hear Angelenos brag about? Most just tout the brand name of the city because of an entertainment industry thats irrelevant to the majority of residents. Besides that, what makes it so different from San Diego

Not that I don't like the city, like I said I love LA, but I just don't understand the arrogance. And if someone brags on their city for having the 2nd highest population in America, then my question is "How does that add value to your living their everyday"
Is this from CD or real life? Because in my experience, which is considerable, Angelenos brag about Mexican food, the weather and, (usually) the Lakers. And that's about it. They rest are transplants who ***** nonstop about how much they hate it.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:53 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,363,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Is this from CD or real life? Because in my experience, which is considerable, Angelenos brag about Mexican food, the weather and, (usually) the Lakers. And that's about it. They rest are transplants who ***** nonstop about how much they hate it.
You raise a good question and point. Once again, I might just be thinking about CD posters. The majority of my family who live there seem to love living there, but never come off bragadocious except when talking about the weather there vs here in Louisiana.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:37 AM

460 posts, read 721,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post

Not that I don't like the city, like I said I love LA, but I just don't understand the arrogance. And if someone brags on their city for having the 2nd highest population in America, then my question is "How does that add value to your life there everyday"
This is such a ridiculous post. First, I rarely see "braggadocios Angelenos" on C-D. Rather than bragging, I see Angelenos defending their city from ill-informed stereotypes. Second, Los Angeles is the antithesis of "so little uniqueness." It's one of the most unique cities in the US; after all, isn't that why everyone on C-D and IRL hates the place...because it's a major city that doesn't conform to anyone's idea of what a city should be or look like, or that it's urbanity doesn't reflect the more accepted notion of East Coast urbanity? Third, if you don't know what sets Los Angeles apart from San Diego, then that says more about you and what you know (or don't know in this case) than the actually two cities themselves.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:40 AM

281 posts, read 385,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Says somebody from the Bay Area.

I'm born and raised in San Jose, now residing in SoCal. I don't understand this irrational hate to the southland that people in the Bay Area have.
Like I've said before, the hate is a one way street, why? Who knows, but it says a lot more about the bay area than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or