U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities have the most braggarts? Choose up to 3
Baltimore/Washington DC 4 4.17%
San Francisco/Oakland 28 29.17%
Boston/Cambridge 13 13.54%
New York City 34 35.42%
Chicago 19 19.79%
Los Angeles 18 18.75%
Miami 7 7.29%
Houston 25 26.04%
Dallas/Fort Worth 16 16.67%
Seattle 22 22.92%
Atlanta 15 15.63%
Denver 5 5.21%
Philadelphia 20 20.83%
St. Louis 6 6.25%
Phoenix 5 5.21%
Other (Please Specify) 3 3.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 03:49 AM

281 posts, read 385,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
This is such a ridiculous post. First, I rarely see "braggadocios Angelenos" on C-D. Rather than bragging, I see Angelenos defending their city from ill-informed stereotypes. Second, Los Angeles is the antithesis of "so little uniqueness." It's one of the most unique cities in the US; after all, isn't that why everyone on C-D and IRL hates the place...because it's a major city that doesn't conform to anyone's idea of what a city should be or look like, or that it's urbanity doesn't reflect the more accepted notion of East Coast urbanity? Third, if you don't know what sets Los Angeles apart from San Diego, then that says more about you and what you know (or don't know in this case) than the actually two cities themselves.
Yea no kidding, first person I've ever heard make such a claim, LA is one of the most unique cities period, he must be one of those people who visited orange county and thinks he/she knows what LA is all about LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 09:43 AM

5,805 posts, read 8,570,195 times
Philadelphia takes the cake as far a C-D goes....Tons of boosters here. However Philadelphia the population itself is pretty humble about Philly and will acknowledge the city's strengths and shortcomings, a lot even have that insular pessimism that natives tend to have about there hometowns.

NYC is not Booster central like it used to be, I think the insane income inequalities and annihilation of the Middle Class in NYC has quelled all the cheerleading to a point both on C-D and in general.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:02 AM

9,967 posts, read 14,626,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Philadelphia takes the cake as far a C-D goes....Tons of boosters here. However Philadelphia the population itself is pretty humble about Philly and will acknowledge the city's strengths and shortcomings, a lot even have that insular pessimism that natives tend to have about there hometowns.

NYC is not Booster central like it used to be, I think the insane income inequalities and annihilation of the Middle Class in NYC has quelled all the cheerleading to a point both on C-D and in general.
One thing though was that there was a period of C-D when there were so many obvious troll accounts of fake Philly boosters(a lot of which were probably just one person) that seemed to be created just to get other posters riled up. A lot of them probably weren't even people who lived in Philly, but there was a good span of years, when every week there would be a different "Philly" poster to stir the pot; often in some East Coast vs. West Coast thread. They still pop up once in a while, but they're easy to spot.

I just assumed that a lot of the New York boosters on here got bored, since it's not that fun to just argue again and again "You can't even be serious comparing any other city to New York". In a way they're right, but in other ways, it doesn't leave a lot of room for discussion.

Last edited by Deezus; 11-07-2013 at 10:31 AM..

Old 11-07-2013, 10:30 AM

1,874 posts, read 2,365,456 times
Lol @ jimmykem & disposable2...spoken like true homers. I've visited my family there countless times and have been everywhere in LA from Santa Clarita to Inglewood...even as far out as Victorville to Thousand Oaks and back through LA over to Ontario. Did I miss something? Again, in case you missed it, I indeed love L.A. every time I'm there. Stop being so sensitive. I thought the Atlanta posters were bad, but damn. Smh. Carry on, kids...

Like I said, from MY PERSPECTIVE, there isn't much difference between LA and San Diego besides a few obvious things. Besides that, they have definite similarities.

Last edited by Chilly Gentilly; 11-07-2013 at 10:48 AM..

Old 11-07-2013, 10:46 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,176,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
One thing though was that there was a period of C-D when there were so many obvious troll accounts of fake Philly boosters(a lot of which were probably just one person) that seemed to be created just to get other posters riled up. A lot of them probably weren't even people who lived in Philly, but there was a good span of years, when every week there would be a different "Philly" poster to stir the pot; often in some East Coast vs. West Coast thread. They still pop up once in a while, but they're easy to spot.

I just assumed that a lot of the New York boosters on here got bored, since it's not that fun to just argue again and again "You can't even be serious comparing any other city to New York". In a way they're right, but in other ways, it doesn't leave a lot of room for discussion.

it seems there is just a few for anyplace - who knows as much as I try to be objective am sure I am guilty many times

Old 11-07-2013, 10:54 AM

5,837 posts, read 10,793,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Los Angeles: fake people who believe this city is world class, but lacks the education, class, civility and manners to be one.
Wrong. You need to get out of Hollywood/Beverly Hills.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:56 AM

9,967 posts, read 14,626,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
it seems there is just a few for anyplace - who knows as much as I try to be objective am sure I am guilty many times
I think it's fine for people to proud of their city, and the people who have that pride are often the ones who can be the best source of information about the places because they have the love for it. (That's why you can sometimes get much better info about a place on the individual city forums rather than General US or City vs. City) But, yeah, I mean people of any city can get defensive if they feel their city is being pigeonholed or attacked. I'll occasionally get into it for my current city or other places I have a connection, and yeah, sometimes people get angry and things get out of hand.

On the other hand there's other people though that almost go so far in one way or the other in terms of boosting(or attacking) a certain city that they come off as cartoonish--and some of these are often the "multiple account" crowd or the Wile E. Coyote types that keep getting banned and keep coming back. You spend some time on here for a while though and you start to get sense of who is being sincere and who is fairly objective...

Last edited by Deezus; 11-07-2013 at 12:00 PM..

Old 11-07-2013, 10:59 AM

5,837 posts, read 10,793,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Keep in mind that I love L.A., especially for being home to so much of my family. But what intrigues me is how bragadocious Angelenos are about a city that gives you so little uniqueness. I mean really, what are the things you hear Angelenos brag about? Most just tout the brand name of the city because of an entertainment industry thats irrelevant to the majority of residents. Besides that, what makes it so different from San Diego

Not that I don't like the city, like I said I love LA, but I just don't understand the arrogance. And if someone brags on their city for having the 2nd highest population in America, then my question is "How does that add value to your life there everyday"
Thats OK. I feel the same way about why Chicago is looked at upon untouchable, where I don't see how other than a photogenic lakefront and skyline why people don't see Cleveland, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Detroit area, Kansas City, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh as suitable alternatives.

Reality is of course is that Chicago has a quantity and quality of culturel offerings those other cities don't have, but can't you just live in one of those other midwest cities, and just visit Chicago once or twice a year for the "only in Chicago" experiences?

Same as you for LA, Chicago primarily has value for me, because most of family calls it home.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:54 AM

1,874 posts, read 2,365,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Thats OK. I feel the same way about why Chicago is looked at upon untouchable, where I don't see how other than a photogenic lakefront and skyline why people don't see Cleveland, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Detroit area, Kansas City, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh as suitable alternatives.

Reality is of course is that Chicago has a quantity and quality of culturel offerings those other cities don't have, but can't you just live in one of those other midwest cities, and just visit Chicago once or twice a year for the "only in Chicago" experiences?

Same as you for LA, Chicago primarily has value for me, because most of family calls it home.
EXACTLY. Very well said. Thank you.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:59 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,700,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Lol @ jimmykem & disposable2...spoken like true homers. I've visited my family there countless times and have been everywhere in LA from Santa Clarita to Inglewood...even as far out as Victorville to Thousand Oaks and back through LA over to Ontario. Did I miss something? Again, in case you missed it, I indeed love L.A. every time I'm there. Stop being so sensitive. I thought the Atlanta posters were bad, but damn. Smh. Carry on, kids...

Like I said, from MY PERSPECTIVE, there isn't much difference between LA and San Diego besides a few obvious things. Besides that, they have definite similarities.

I can agree with this. I have always viewed San Diego as our cleaner little brother. There really isn't a huge difference between us, which is why SD is my second favorite city, its a pretty good alternative to LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or