U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities have the most braggarts? Choose up to 3
Baltimore/Washington DC 4 4.17%
San Francisco/Oakland 28 29.17%
Boston/Cambridge 13 13.54%
New York City 34 35.42%
Chicago 19 19.79%
Los Angeles 18 18.75%
Miami 7 7.29%
Houston 25 26.04%
Dallas/Fort Worth 16 16.67%
Seattle 22 22.92%
Atlanta 15 15.63%
Denver 5 5.21%
Philadelphia 20 20.83%
St. Louis 6 6.25%
Phoenix 5 5.21%
Other (Please Specify) 3 3.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 08:37 AM

17,219 posts, read 19,525,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
NOw Washington/Baltimore......Washington DC people are VERY arrogant and braggart as you put it, but Baltimore not so much. Those cities are very close geographically but have a very different culture and mentality. Baltimore pride is usually expressed in pride in sports. While people from the DC area have this kind of cultural elitism.
People in the Washington, D.C. metro area are career-oriented and enjoy the things that money buys (which is a lot of things of course :-).

That's the only kind of "elitism" that is prevalent in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 01:57 PM

7,815 posts, read 12,319,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
People in the Washington, D.C. metro area are career-oriented and enjoy the things that money buys (which is a lot of things of course :-).

That's the only kind of "elitism" that is prevalent in this area.
People in that area also feel more culturally superior and sophisticated. They would still look down on someone who lives in a huge house in a gated community in the Dallas suburbs who drives a large Hummer. And yes there are people who drive a little hybrid, and sit on a crowded train all the time, and think they are better. That's the kind of elitism that really bugs me not so much economic elitism. And also the kind of people who look down on you for going to Red Lobster and Olive Garden when the "hip" restaurants and bars they frequent are not really more expensive or classy.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:07 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
People in that area also feel more culturally superior and sophisticated. They would still look down on someone who lives in a huge house in a gated community in the Dallas suburbs who drives a large Hummer. And yes there are people who drive a little hybrid, and sit on a crowded train all the time, and think they are better. That's the kind of elitism that really bugs me not so much economic elitism. And also the kind of people who look down on you for going to Red Lobster and Olive Garden when the "hip" restaurants and bars they frequent are not really more expensive or classy.
Why does that bother more than economic elitism? Is "I like my taste" more annoying that "look at me! look at the stuff I got!". The latter sounds more grating. Personally, I find most huge houses and hummers tacky.

There's also "reverse snobbery" we out here are real Americans so much better and nicer than the ones in the big, especially coastal cities.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:29 AM

11,434 posts, read 6,396,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Why does that bother more than economic elitism? Is "I like my taste" more annoying that "look at me! look at the stuff I got!". The latter sounds more grating. Personally, I find most huge houses and hummers tacky.

There's also "reverse snobbery" we out here are real Americans so much better and nicer than the ones in the big, especially coastal cities.
Yeah, I find economic snobbery to be far worse. NYC snobbery is more like "Our culture and our tastes are totally better than yours". If you go upstate or to Long Island you'll run into snobbery of "Look at how big my mansion is. And look at our new summer pool". The second type of snobbery is worse because it judges people based on something that really can't be changed.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:52 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,384,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

This!

Old 11-10-2013, 01:59 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,384,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Yeah, I find economic snobbery to be far worse. NYC snobbery is more like "Our culture and our tastes are totally better than yours". If you go upstate or to Long Island you'll run into snobbery of "Look at how big my mansion is. And look at our new summer pool". The second type of snobbery is worse because it judges people based on something that really can't be changed.
Agreed. When it comes between intellectual/cultural snobbery and economic/materialistic snobbery, the former is the lesser of the two evils IMO.

Places like the NYC, DC, San Francisco, Boston, Charleston, etc. might stereotypically fall under the former category, whereas places like LA, Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, Phoenix, etc. might stereotypically fall under the latter category.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:01 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,820,237 times
I voted for Boston because I assume many students in the prestigious school mecca, Cambridge, would brag about their intellect.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:05 PM

221 posts, read 1,023,196 times
I said Seattle and NYC - a given! After some thought, I checked Philadelphia as 3rd, simply because all the Philly people I've met or seen on tv seem to be so proud of their city. I haven't been there since I was a kid, so I don't know.

But you didn't put Des Moines on your poll, and I would have put it at #1. Just get on the Iowa Des Moines forum and read a little. Those folks have some large chips on their shoulders and not only don't admit that Des Moines has any flaws but also don't want anybody even asking questions about their domain. There's nothing much wrong with Des Moines, but there's a lot of "protesting too much", probably in reaction to coastal people not admitting that anything interesting can exist in Tha Middle.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:07 PM

7,815 posts, read 12,319,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Actually the second CAN be changed, if people decide to work hard and take responsibility for their own lives.......

Old 11-10-2013, 02:33 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,361,629 times
In New Orleans, we're so uppity that our plastic beads are more valuable than the exposed breasts of your cities' women...every February.

...Checkmate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or