Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 11:34 AM

36,628 posts, read 67,158,658 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of misunderstanding here. Manhattan's incredible numbers are due to a very small group of people in finance, media, law and real estate who combined make more money than many large nations-astounding and quite impressive.

1. Most of that money is earned there, but taken to suburbs.

2. There are hundreds of thousands of people in Manhattan working in restaurants, hotels and retail stores that make much, much less.

Here are statistics showing that there are indeed much poverty amid staggering wealth in Manhattan. The world above 125th st is vastly different from Midtown and Downtown.

Manhattan Households Earning $200,000+ Annually: 104,134

Manhattan Households Earning under $35,000 Annually: 203,928

This is according to the 2006 Community Survey of The American Factfinder of the US Census Bureau.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 12:31 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,010,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
There is a lot of misunderstanding here. Manhattan's incredible numbers are due to a very small group of people in finance, media, law and real estate who combined make more money than many large nations-astounding and quite impressive.

2. There are hundreds of thousands of people in Manhattan working in restaurants, hotels and retail stores that make much, much less.

Here are statistics showing that there are indeed much poverty amid staggering wealth in Manhattan. The world above 125th st is vastly different from Midtown and Downtown.

This is according to the 2006 Community Survey of The American Factfinder of the US Census Bureau.
I don't think there is a lot of misunderstanding at all. When it comes to income/salaries, NY County (Manhattan) is high on the list. But when it comes to actual wealth (i.e. net worth), Manhattan is less wealthy than many other counties in terms of the actual number of millionaire households. That's what the TNS study shows.

L.A. County is nation's Mecca for millionaires Los Angeles Business Journal - Find Articles (broken link)

Mnet :: Top 10 U.S. Counties With The Most Millionaires

Old 11-24-2007, 01:01 PM

646 posts, read 805,053 times
Well you know what characterizes a place, a city, or places where the vast majority of the wealth is held by a very small and powerful elite. Think of any? They are usually outside the US?

To off-set that here, so glad we have 50 states, not just one.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus View Post
Actually, large sample size generally improves statistical validity . . .

Nevertheless, looking at average income in this setting is very misleading. It doesn't take too many Wall Street types making $20 million to skew an average. I'd rather see the median income level (i.e., 50% of people make more, 50% make less). I'd bet it's significantly lower than the average that the article reported. Alternatively, I'd like to see the actual income distribution curve with standard deviations for the average income. I bet it's a pretty broad curve . . .

PS: This ex-NYer thanks you all for the great pix . . .

The OP's original report spoke of including those Wall Street bonuses that were included in the figs.

I have another question. If the stock market has suffered so much and so many investors' portfolios are doing so poorly around the world, how is it that such big bonuses THIS year anyway are warranted? Insider trading perhaps?

Many are seriously individually or corporatewise crying the blues. IPOs etc have certainly raised a lot of capital but there and in many longterm established stocks and funds have seen huge losses, especially in credit and finance (we're talking about those in finance???!!) so where did what profits there are go?

I often hear a lot of talk and see articles where much of Manhattan thrives on credit cards and the housing busts haven't honed in on NY yet, but are feared as imminent.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
I don't think there is a lot of misunderstanding at all. When it comes to income/salaries, NY County (Manhattan) is high on the list. But when it comes to actual wealth (i.e. net worth), Manhattan is less wealthy than many other counties in terms of the actual number of millionaire households. That's what the TNS study shows.

L.A. County is nation's Mecca for millionaires Los Angeles Business Journal - Find Articles (broken link)

Right and then we get into disposable incomes, after taxes, etc. T'is why so many earning less impressive figs elsewhere than Manhattan can afford to live much better than those elites there. Then there is the differences in cultural and personal value systems.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:20 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,731,480 times
Make sure you read it correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
LA county (Los Angeles) and Cook County (Chicago) rank 1st & 2nd respectively for having the most millionaires. However, both are not the wealthiest county in the US. The wealthiest county in America is indeed Nassau county (New York) . Nassau county has the highest number of millionaire households per capita. LA county is not one of the top 10 wealthiest counties in the US.

"Also, while L.A. County is tops in the absolute numbers of millionaires, it trails most of the other populous counties in the number of millionaires per capita. L.A.'s share of millionaire households is only 2.6 percent of the county's total population" - TNS Financial Services

Quote:

Old 11-24-2007, 01:56 PM

274 posts, read 317,237 times
Quote:
Don't have a hernia. I didn't write the story nor did I conduct the study. And when you find evidence and proof that New York city (not NY metro) has the the most millionaire households, based on net worth, let me know.
.......And when you produce facts that the City of Los Angeles has more millionaire households than New York City, based on net worth, let me know.

And based on these figures alone, one would think that the City of New York would obviously have more millionaires than Los Angeles.

Number of Los Angelenos with income of $200,000 or more: 60,811 <-----Figures are very low.

Number of New Yorkers with incomes of $200,000 or more: 156,621

Don't you think it would be safe to assume NYC has more millionaires than Los Angeles?

But what would you know?

Last edited by SaintLaurent; 11-24-2007 at 02:06 PM..

Old 11-24-2007, 02:12 PM

274 posts, read 317,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

"Manhattan residents"

Old 11-24-2007, 05:00 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,158,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintLaurent View Post
"Manhattan residents"
No, this survey looks at people who "WORK" there, not the ones who live there.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:32 PM

463 posts, read 643,126 times
I suspect all these people bragging about all the money in their cities/states don't even have so much as a trust fund.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.