Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:28 PM

274 posts, read 320,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, this survey looks at people who "WORK" there, not the ones who live there.
Um... No, it doesn't

"Equivalent to nearly $147,000 per year, average weekly pay for Manhattan residents shot up 16.7 percent from the same period of 2006, maintaining its spot as the wealthiest county in the United States."

Manhattan residents

Manhattan residents

Get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 09:30 PM

274 posts, read 320,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Read my posts again. I never made that claim, therefore I feel no need to produce such evidence.

You are the one who first claimed NY County (Manhattan) was the most wealthy, which has since been disproved and now you want to assert that NYC as a whole has the most millionaires. I'm still waiting for your data and source, please.

No, it is not safe to make that assumption. Income (cash) is just one aspect of a person’s overall wealth. Most wealthy people have other assets (stocks, bonds, mutual funds, partnerships, real estate holdings, businesses, insurance policies, retirement accounts, pensions, etc.). Just because a lot of people in NYC earn $200K plus a year doesn’t mean that those people are millionaires or that they own very much by way of assets. Also, a lot of millionaires have an AGI of less than $200,000 after all of the deductions they are able to claim. So one could have an AGI of $100,000 or less, but have a net worth of $5 million depending on their other assets. Warren Buffet is the perfect example. He only earns about $100K a year, but he's worth about $53 billion.

Likewise, one could have an AGI of $200K or more, but zero net worth because their debts are equal to or greater than their assets. There are a lot of young guys on Wall Street making $200K a year with absolutely nothing to their names except a mountain of credit card debt.
Hun, save it. I've made my point.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:20 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,208,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver203 View Post
Being from NV, I can see how you wouldn't know this.
Those are now residents of Pike, and I'm from California, check.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:27 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintLaurent View Post
Hun, save it. I've made my point.
Which was what? That you know how to create dumb threads with inaccurate information?

Old 11-28-2007, 02:07 PM

580 posts, read 1,681,126 times
The money wouldnt do you much good, unless you stayed out of New York City. Those who work in New York City but live and spend money outside the large city the majority of the time.... living rich? At the moment yes, but I wouldnt be surprise if soon to come New York (City or State) have to come up with a shutdown. I'm not saying they are, but if they did I wouldnt be surprise.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:41 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
Ha, a townhouse for $2,500 a month. Keep on dreaming. You'd be lucky to find a nice 1 br for $2,500 a month.

But when you mention a townhouse in Manhattan I'm thinking of this:

and not the cr@ppy suburban knock off version:

http://il.tenant.com/images/listings/243772_1.jpg (broken link)

http://www.ndcrealestate.com/new2/Apartments/VA%20and%20DC/Hopewell/townhomes.jpg (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryNStopMe View Post
Funny. Ooooh, the wonderful New Yorkers make an average of $2,800 per week! Oooooh. Well, I have a very nice 2 BR townhouse for $650/mo. Same thing would cost, what, $2,500/mo in NY? Give me a break.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:59 PM

50 posts, read 63,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TryNStopMe View Post
Funny. Ooooh, the wonderful New Yorkers make an average of $2,800 per week! Oooooh. Well, I have a very nice 2 BR townhouse for $650/mo. Same thing would cost, what, $2,500/mo in NY? Give me a break.
Townhome in NY for $2500? Try $65,000 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.