U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 10:21 AM

14,407 posts, read 7,929,570 times

Advertisements

Maine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 10:23 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,068,500 times
I've always heard that the midwest has nice people (in general).

Don't come to RI or MA. You'd never come here and say that the people are friendly, that's for sure. Yes there are exceptions.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:27 AM

9,608 posts, read 9,848,288 times
Moving, in two weeks, no destination in mind.

(MOD CUT)

Last edited by jasper12; 11-09-2013 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: Edit

Old 11-08-2013, 10:54 AM

3,524 posts, read 5,680,189 times
Southern Hospitality is a real thing . . . . .

Old 11-08-2013, 12:20 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,304,949 times
I am nice but many people think I am not because if you are a stranger I feel ill at ease and don't know what to say if someone makes conversation with me. I suspect many of the people in Seattle are the same way.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:56 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,789,746 times
People in the NW are very shy and far more introverted on the whole based on my experience. That doesn't mean they are not nice, but I believe the weather DOES impact the culture and behavior of people. It feels like everyone is mildly depressed. People in Texas are very friendly in my experience, but I"ve found plenty of friendly people in San Diego. I think certain places are so stressful people who would otherwise be friendly are too busy or stressed out (NYC, SF, LA).

Old 11-08-2013, 03:20 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,869,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Moving, in two weeks, no destination in mind. Oh that's rich. If everyone else missed the racist undertone of the o.p., I did not. As I read it, the o.p. wants to know where he (absolutely) will not encounter people too much different from himself. Man that's pretty wide open and therefore impossible to answer. I'm guessing the o.p. knew that, but felt it was important that we know that he is a racist, misanthrope so and so...

OMG are you serious? Id say it wasn't that everyone but you missed the racial undertone, its that they weren't there and only you imagined them. And this ladies and gentlemen is why the world is screwed up.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:37 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,739,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Southern Hospitality is a real thing . . . . .
Sort of.

I find if you are in disagreement with religious and political leanings, that hospitality streak vanishes really fast. I also noticed that bias against northerners is still rampant (especially in Georgia for some reason). Not very hospitable in those regards.

Case and point: My friend works at a local Starbucks. A woman was talking to him and they were getting along and having a fine time. Then she found out he voted for Obama. Her exact words were, "Awww, I almost liked you." and she left.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:10 PM

72 posts, read 120,738 times
New York City. I have met and made more friends in stores, on the street, in restaurants there. I'd say the least friendly people where I've lived would have to be Los Angeles, followed by Chicago.

But it's totally local, if you have similar values and a similar vibe to the place you are going you will have an easier time fitting in. You can find nice people anywhere; if you are nice to them they are usually nice to you. Now if you are talking nonjudgmental, open-minded people, New York and San Francisco, in my experience. People seem nice in Los Angeles, but there is a vibe of money and looks and who you know that runs under that superficial niceness. Ny-ers on the other hand, are often gruff and busy, but if you break through their shell, they're pretty genuine bunch. Just my completely subjective experience.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:23 PM

243 posts, read 389,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The other place, where I grew up, also has very nice people, and that is southeastern Wis. In general, Wis. has pretty nice people.
I have to agree about Wisconsin. I used to visit my ex's family in northern WI and everyone I encountered was friendly and welcoming. The people I actually knew there would do anything to lend a hand or go out of their way to help someone.

I live in Ohio, and I think for the most part people are nice. The other day I was in Target and the man before me in line and I were trying to convince each other to go first to a newly opened register. He told me "ladies first" and I told him he was there first so he should be served before me. This isn't an unusual thing around here -- it's happened to me before. Also, people generally hold doors, excuse themselves if they bump into you or need to get by, make small talk, say please and thank you, return a smile, and drive politely (turn signals, letting people in front of them during traffic, etc.) I know all of that sound normal to most, but when I lived in Phoenix it was not by any means normal behavior. I encountered a lot of rudeness in AZ; it seemed to be the norm.

I'd suggest somewhere in the Midwest. Outside of that, I loved my time in Denver because I met a lot of wonderful people who were laid back, open minded, and very pleasant to be around.

Last edited by Ohio Hello; 11-08-2013 at 06:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.