U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 06:34 PM

3,279 posts, read 6,603,153 times

Advertisements

Arkansas, Northern Mississippi, and Tennessee are full of nice, down to Earth people.

I have family at the top of Mississippi and in Tennessee and whenever I visit, most of the people I have encountered have been super friendly and pleasant.

I also have a friend who moved to Hot Springs, Arkansas from Houston (where I live) for a job, and he can't stop talking about how much friendlier the people in Arkansas than they are in Houston. He was telling me that strangers are very open about striking up a conversation with you and hardly anyone is rude. Whenever he comes back to Houston, he said it seems like everyone is pissed off about something.

Who wouldn't be nice and happy living in a town as beautiful as Hot Springs:

Last edited by statisticsnerd; 11-08-2013 at 06:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 07:45 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,083,267 times
Friendly is a relative term. If you move someplace where the economy is shot; lots of unemployment; crappy weather most of the year as you mentioned about Seattle, then it just isn't likely to have a friendly atmosphere. Race is a factor sadly enough. There is no denying that racial tensions exist and areas where there are heavier concentrations of minorities who typically are worse off economically, you are likely to find a less friendly atmosphere. Those are the facts of social intercourse. I would select a town of between 50 and 150 thousand people with a college or university; join a church or some civic group; go to some classes for older adults if you fit that bill. It is my opinion that large urban areas and small towns and rural areas are too hard to break into socially. Urban area cops are testy and perhaps rightly so and rural area law enforcement is wary of newbies. Just my 2 cents on the question.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:03 PM

2,975 posts, read 2,701,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Moving, in two weeks, no destination in mind. Oh that's rich. If everyone else missed the racist undertone of the o.p., I did not. As I read it, the o.p. wants to know where he (absolutely) will not encounter people too much different from himself. Man that's pretty wide open and therefore impossible to answer. I'm guessing the o.p. knew that, but felt it was important that we know that he is a racist, misanthrope so and so...

I have never heard anything so outlandish. Please tell us, how can we advise the OP where to go and find people who are not much different from himself if we don't know what the OP looks like, acts like, or his political views?

Old 11-08-2013, 09:41 PM

8,763 posts, read 7,693,193 times
I'll add one final comment on this thread. Generally, you're going to find people being more friendly in rural areas. However, that is also a generalization. I lived in a medium size city in NC, and most of the locals were just plain hostile to "Yankee's". Also there seem to be generalized hostility between whites and blacks there. That's why we were so happy to leave there. Worst place we ever lived.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:14 PM

8,224 posts, read 10,778,776 times
It all depends on..everything.

What one person finds nice,another may not.
I didn't like NC. My sister does. She fit in better,because she is married with a husband. I'm not.
I didn't have much in common with others down there because of that.

Nyc is to me the greatest,even though others think its a rude city.I haven't had problems having conversations with strangers.
Same with San Fran.

I think the opposite of the person above.
I think in MEGA urban centers the people are more friendly.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:15 PM

3,047 posts, read 6,577,228 times
I have lived in a few states and to me people vary more from city to city or county then state. For example when I lived in Boca Raton the people were very rude but when I visited other parts of FL I felt people were friendlier and more down to earth.
I understand you want to live in a friendly area but what about other factors that you said you researched?

Old 11-09-2013, 01:49 AM

22,704 posts, read 16,808,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuousman View Post
I will be moving in two weeks....to where I don't know yet. I have done much research on various aspects, ie; state taxes, climate, political bent etc. I ask the forum here where in their experience the nicest, most hospitable people reside. Now I know everyone thinks where they currently reside is where the nicest people are. Having said that it is a fact that per geographical location the hospitality of the population differs. For example, I have lived in the PNW here by Seattle for the better part of 16 years and the people suck. Don't know if it's the gloom 9 months out of every year or what. Now I have lived all over this country coast to coast and have to say that the west coastal tribes are the worst. Flame on if you want but that has been my experience. So, put forth your opinion without denigration and let's hear it.
You think Seattle is bad? (And I've lived there, so I know what you mean. Nice to your face...not so much when you turn around.) Take this advice....do NOT move to Miami. It makes the entire West coast look like utopia. Do not, do not, do NOT.

I actually found very friendly people in Houston. Every city will have its share of jerks, but Houston seemed to be the friendliest place I've lived. Some may disagree, but out of WA, CA, NC, FL, ME, and AL, Houston, TX was great. (statisticsnerd and I do not agree on this, I see. My experience was much different than his, apparently...but I do agree that people in TX are, in general, more friendly than anywhere else I've ever lived...yes, even including Maine.)

Ok, I don't know if you have ever had to take the bus in Seattle, but if you have, and you were running to catch one, you have probably experienced watching them watch you in the mirror and pull off just as you reach the bus. Real fantastic people up there.

In Houston, I was walking home from the grocery store one day, and a bus pulled up, asking me if I needed a ride. I wasn't even at the bus stop. I said I didn't have any money. He said it didn't matter. I said I was only going one more block before I had to turn. He said it didn't matter. BIG difference between Houston, and the people of Seattle.

Anyway, that's my two cents. If Houston was next to a clean ocean, I would live there again. And, honestly, I'm not completely ruling it out for the future.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:52 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,698,893 times
Montana. Everyone is friendly here.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:04 AM

9,012 posts, read 8,309,327 times
I have to say that I've met people from all over the world, but people from California.....
always impress me as being genuinely "nice".
Or just way cooler than mid-westerners, lol

Old 11-09-2013, 12:00 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,751,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
We're very nice here in England..... and we are very fond of Americans.
Nicely said and good to hear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.