U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 04:15 PM

748 posts, read 1,415,727 times

Advertisements

Well they are not in the south, even though they claim they are. There are some pretty rude, entitled, mean people here. They wasn't in WV either, nor ohio, nor ky.....granted people in oh, ky and wv acted better then the people down south. However that being said i'm honestly not sure nice people exist anywhere overall. You may run into a really rare truly nice person once in a blue moon anywhere. However a city FULL of mostly nice people....aint gonna happen not in today's time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 06:35 PM

636 posts, read 897,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Hello View Post
I'd suggest somewhere in the Midwest. Outside of that, I loved my time in Denver because I met a lot of wonderful people who were laid back, open minded, and very pleasant to be around.
I think the same of people in Denver and Colorado in general. But if you were to visit that forum people always seem to be whining about how aloof and unfriendly people are. I don't get it.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:00 PM

28,552 posts, read 62,302,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
I think the same of people in Denver and Colorado in general.
But if you were to visit that forum people always seem to be whining about how aloof and unfriendly people are. I don't get it.
probably 'cause they aren't sharing their weed.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:17 PM

243 posts, read 389,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
I think the same of people in Denver and Colorado in general. But if you were to visit that forum people always seem to be whining about how aloof and unfriendly people are. I don't get it.
How odd; I really don't think I ever met a grumpy or rude person in Denver -- the only thing I can think of is car vs. bicycle annoyances on foothill/mountain roads. I can't say enough how kind, thoughtful, and laid back my neighbors and friends were there. Maybe it was because the quality of life was so high...close to loads of hiking, bike trails everywhere in the city/suburbs, beautiful views, sunny, all four seasons, skiing, off roading, breweries, camping, a nice downtown with 16th street mall, amazing dog parks and dog friendly businesses, lovely city parks, progressive values, good museums and cultural activities, etc, etc. Whenever I see a "Life is Good" product, I always fondly remember my time there .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
probably 'cause they aren't sharing their weed.
LOL. The people I knew who smoked ALWAYS shared their weed or offered to point you in the right direction if you were looking -- just common courtesy. And this was before legalization . Rocky mountain hiiiiiiiiigh....

Old 11-09-2013, 07:25 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,907,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuousman View Post
I will be moving in two weeks....to where I don't know yet. I have done much research on various aspects, ie; state taxes, climate, political bent etc. I ask the forum here where in their experience the nicest, most hospitable people reside. Now I know everyone thinks where they currently reside is where the nicest people are. Having said that it is a fact that per geographical location the hospitality of the population differs. For example, I have lived in the PNW here by Seattle for the better part of 16 years and the people suck. Don't know if it's the gloom 9 months out of every year or what. Now I have lived all over this country coast to coast and have to say that the west coastal tribes are the worst. Flame on if you want but that has been my experience. So, put forth your opinion without denigration and let's hear it.
The nicest people I have ever met are in Northwestern North Carolina. The author of the Mitford books has captured these people in her series. Everybody was raving about these books but I stopped after reading one of them. I found the books were boring to me because it was just describing how I had been brought up. They were just like everyday life to me.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/at-h...=9780140254488

Old 11-09-2013, 07:31 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,088,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
Well they are not in the south, even though they claim they are. There are some pretty rude, entitled, mean people here. They wasn't in WV either, nor ohio, nor ky.....granted people in oh, ky and wv acted better then the people down south. However that being said i'm honestly not sure nice people exist anywhere overall. You may run into a really rare truly nice person once in a blue moon anywhere. However a city FULL of mostly nice people....aint gonna happen not in today's time.
Just curious, where in the south are you? In many southern locations, northerners moved in and that was that. FL has very few native southerners I think.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:29 PM

11 posts, read 21,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post

Southerns are in general very nice. I've lived here the last 11 years and everytime I go anywhere else I'm always so shocked by how mean and rude people are.

I think there is a culture shock that happens to non southerns. You need an in, to get to know people in the south. However it isn't that hard to get an in. When you first move here people are extra friendly and they will introduce you to everyone they think you might have a connection with and then some. Once you're established some of those initial friendships dry up and that is when newcomers can get offended. The truth is that these people are not offering you friendship but connections. It is up to you to find lasting bonds. Those people who you first met will still talk to you and be friendly but they won't call you everyday and go out to lunch with you, unless the two of you really hit it off.

In the south people are just plain nice. Nice doesn't mean they like you, but it means they will be polite and treat you with respect. People say hello, they don't yell at strangers, they don't throw insults around, they don't get in your face, when you speak to someone they acknowledge you and will speak back as if you were a human being, they seek out ways to help others, they don't push or bump into you and if they do they apologize, they hold doors, they avoid confrontations, they pray for you, they don't cut in line, they look you in the eye, they listen to your boring stories even if they have never met you before, and if you are saying something stupid they just keep listening and won't tell you because that would be rude to make you feel bad. Now if you break these rules and act like a jerk you may not get a friendly reception. The city I live in IS full of nice people. Sure not every single person is nice and even the nice people sometimes don't feel so loving, but overall the community is friendly.

If you really believe there are no nice people in todays world you are probable not so nice yourself. You can't expect to be a jerk and have people continue to smile at you.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:30 AM

748 posts, read 1,415,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Just curious, where in the south are you? In many southern locations, northerners moved in and that was that. FL has very few native southerners I think.
I live in Myrtle Beach and good lord have I met some rude people. Some women ran into my husband with a grocery cart at Wal-mart the other day, looked right at him and walked off without ever saying I’m sorry, didn't even act sorry. The people my husband works with lawl have mercy they are rude. Some young guy my husband works with was baffled he came in here from NY and they are just being AWFUL to him....it's pitiful at how mean and rude people are here. I came in here from WV and as bad as WV may be as a state at least if people ran into you they said sorry or at least looked at you like they was sorry. I've never seen such entitled mean people in all my life. I've had so many bad experiences with these people that I can't count them all. I've had neighbors be rude, people at businesses be rude and ran into very few nice people. I think I've ran into a total of five nice people in three months. One couple from ATL helped us the night our car got broken into (crime is pretty bad here too btw), our landlords are super nice but they originally came from KY and my husband’s soon to be boss is super nice but he's in a completely different city 3 hours away and I have no clue where he came from, but he's a super nice person.

I love living in Myrtle Beach and as a city it's great but the people....well the people leave a lot to be desired, glad I didn't move down here because of the people. Glad I came only for a better quality of life, which I am getting but man it certainly isn't a welcoming southern hospitality place as people love to claim the south is, it's anything but. The tourists may see that side, but the people who live here daily sure don't get it. Maybe Myrtle Beach in the 50s was that way but that boat has long since set sail.

I know there are people in here from all over the world but goodness just because people are not originally from here, can't make everyone in the city mean...if so there isn't much hope for the rest of the world as far as friendliness goes. I just have a hard time believing it's because people are in here from the north. Not everyone here is from the north. I see cars from all over the usa, and hear voices from all over the world. It's a very mixed city in terms of people.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:10 AM

544 posts, read 522,569 times
Las Vegas is one of the most friendly places. For real. Yes there are criminals there and such, but many people have smiles on their faces and say hi to almost anyone.

Driving on the road in Vegas is not so friendly though. Never flick off another person , no matter what they did, because a lot of times they have road rage and will mess with you on the road.

Plus you can always go to the strip and see happy couples, many people partying, smiles on faces, etc. Although this usually angers locals, because they wish they could be that happy again.

If you don't want to move to vegas, than i'll suggest west texas or san antonio areas.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:18 AM

8,226 posts, read 10,804,915 times
CarolinaDreams,I notice that in the south if you don't fit in(Christian,Heterosexual,single) then you don't get treated so well.

Everytime I met someone new down there,they almost always asked me if I'm married;that was none of their business.

Now Nyc,they don't smile and say Hi to strangers,but they don't judge your lifestyle either.
They live and let live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.