Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 09:08 AM

3,072 posts, read 5,464,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogirlla View Post
New York City. I have met and made more friends in stores, on the street, in restaurants there. I'd say the least friendly people where I've lived would have to be Los Angeles, followed by Chicago.

But it's totally local, if you have similar values and a similar vibe to the place you are going you will have an easier time fitting in. You can find nice people anywhere; if you are nice to them they are usually nice to you. Now if you are talking nonjudgmental, open-minded people, New York and San Francisco, in my experience. People seem nice in Los Angeles, but there is a vibe of money and looks and who you know that runs under that superficial niceness. Ny-ers on the other hand, are often gruff and busy, but if you break through their shell, they're pretty genuine bunch. Just my completely subjective experience.

Wow, really? having been born and raised here, I will respectfully disagree. But glad you had a nice experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 10:21 AM

29,095 posts, read 25,885,231 times
Quote:
The respectable folks,--
Where dwell they?
They whisper in the oaks,
And they sigh in the hay;
Summer and winter, night and day,
Out on the meadow, there dwell they.
They never die,
Nor snivel, nor cry,
Nor ask our pity
With a wet eye.
A sound estate they ever mend
To every asker readily lend;
To the ocean wealth,
To the meadow health,
To Time his length,

To the rocks strength,
To the stars light,
To the weary night,
To the busy day,
To the idle play;
And so their good cheer never ends,
For all are their debtors, and all their friends.
- Henry David Thoreau, A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:35 PM

23,866 posts, read 32,129,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post
The people may feel that way in Arizona, but the police and politicians don't. Red light cameras everywhere. Speeding sensors everywhere. Cops and Border Agents asking for papers everywhere especially towards the south.

When I think of Arizona, libertarian is not a word that comes to mind. Especially when you keep electing a war mongering, live and let live hater , Mccain....

Tried to rep you but couldn't. And I agree, a state that spends so much time keeping folks out does not make it any where near close to "friendly".

I would recommend the Great Lakes region of the Mid West, and South Florida. I hear Arkansas is friendly towards outsiders, non Southerners and non Republicans. The Carolinas are nice to visit but I'd never live there. They don't cotton to outsiders.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:42 PM

347 posts, read 489,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Southern Hospitality is a real thing . . . . .
Only if they like you...

And when ever I heard one of my teachers say that to me in college, I knew that he/she was a real jerk.
Ironically College teachers are worse in terms of helping students than those in highschool.

College teachers only help you if you help them...so much for teaching.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:46 PM

The North Eastern United States is very Diverse, it's a great place.

Not many places around the USA that welcome all people, no matter where they came from.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:49 PM

874 posts, read 1,258,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Sort of.

I find if you are in disagreement with religious and political leanings, that hospitality streak vanishes really fast. I also noticed that bias against northerners is still rampant (especially in Georgia for some reason). Not very hospitable in those regards.

Case and point: My friend works at a local Starbucks. A woman was talking to him and they were getting along and having a fine time. Then she found out he voted for Obama. Her exact words were, "Awww, I almost liked you." and she left.
That is so sad. Wonder if she would have said that had he helped her kid or returned her wallet, etc. Actually, I don't want to know.

Character, folks. Character.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:50 PM

9,005 posts, read 13,756,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
Well what in the world does it matter if your single or not?...that is so weird. I'm married (so is about 90% of anyone over 30) I'm not really seeing where it's a bad thing to be. Truthfully I think just any one that wasn't born here gets treated badly. Some of the ways I've seen people treated are just horrible. I'd be ashamed of myself if I treated some one as badly as I've seen some people treated here. I can't believe people are so small minded here that they treat someone from the north bad just because of where that person came from, or if that person is single, or whatever the case may be. To me it's just outright bullying and it's wrong, and it's certainly any thing but southern. I just don't believe in treating others badly because of where they came from, what their religion is, if they are single or married or whatever else, I just can't see disliking someone for any of those reasons.
What I meant to say was if you aren't married,and btw most people over 30 are married,but its not over 60%.
I was treated as an outcast as a single,27 yr old woman.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:55 PM

STAY AWAY from places like new mexico, nevada, and arizona.

North East is nice, florida is nice, california is nice, texas, illinois, indiana, all nice.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:57 PM

Georgia is very nice, lots of open space, developing land for housing all the time...low taxes.

Texas is also low in tax, nice housing, all types of food and good weather.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:58 PM

544 posts, read 608,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
What I meant to say was if you aren't married,and btw most people over 30 are married,but its not over 60%.
I was treated as an outcast as a single,27 yr old woman.
Pic? I can make you feel wonderful baby!

Who treated you like an outcast? Was it those women who have nothing better to do besides gossip and start wars with other people to make their life seem more interesting?

The reason married people sometimes don't like singles, is because they are envious of their freedom. They are not tied down to someone they don't like that much anymore, or tied down with all the responsibility of having kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.