U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 11:04 AM

7,721 posts, read 9,015,236 times

Advertisements

Nice people are in the Midwest. Down to earth, hard working, live and let live people that help each other out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 11:16 AM

2,804 posts, read 1,295,354 times
On the east coast I've always liked people from Philly and Baltimore, they tend to be down to earth and pretty friendly.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:19 PM

7,721 posts, read 9,015,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
On the east coast I've always liked people from Philly and Baltimore, they tend to be down to earth and pretty friendly.
People I've met from there seem pretty nice for the most part. I've heard people complain about Boston but the few I've met from there have all been nice. New York City on the other hand...

Old 10-22-2017, 06:47 PM

1,957 posts, read 1,453,252 times
Here we are, in Clayton County Georgia!

Honestly, I have met friendly and not so friendly people all over from my native South Atlanta suburbs to Boston and out West. Admittedly, I am a fairly outgoing and "nice guy. Try being "nice; you will be surprised how many other "nice people" you meet. Smile; strike up a conversation. Its fun! ;0)

Old 10-24-2017, 04:53 PM

24,963 posts, read 23,873,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Here we are, in Clayton County Georgia!

Honestly, I have met friendly and not so friendly people all over from my native South Atlanta suburbs to Boston and out West. Admittedly, I am a fairly outgoing and "nice guy. Try being "nice; you will be surprised how many other "nice people" you meet. Smile; strike up a conversation. Its fun! ;0)
There are good people just about everywhere. Sometimes you have to look for them. Sometimes they find you. My son used be embarrassed because I talked to strangers. Everyone has a story. Some of them are very interesting.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:31 PM

304 posts, read 150,417 times
Ive not been to vast amounts of the USA,being from England but whatever you do,even if the alternative is homelessness .DONT move to Atlanta!!!!

"The city too busy to hate" my backside. If youre white be prepared for nasty staredowns,quite loudly said remarks and an all around generally nasty atmosphere.

I got so sick of it, i even mentioned it to the very nice (black) receptionist at my hotel who said it had started from people who had come to Atlanta from further south in the 1950s and 60s believing where they came from segregation and racism would never end and they brought with them a lasting bitterness and hatred which had unfortunately been passed on to future generations in some cases.

Atlanta has some pretty rabid defenders on here.Many of its supporting posters are incredibly defensive.They have much to be defensive about!!!!

Old 10-26-2017, 02:10 PM

36 posts, read 22,581 times
I understand where you're coming from. I grew up in Seattle and while I liked some people there, it definitely is very gloomy and people tend to not be the most sociable. The PNW definitely suffers from passive aggressiveness and a sort of freeze mentality that is hard to break.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:21 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,252,670 times
I've lived in multiple places/traveled all over and there are nice people and not-so-nice people everywhere.

These are just my own observations, so hopefully nobody ends up being offended:

I would say that the nicest people are probably in the Midwest. They are the most open to people who are not originally from the area; Midwesterners in the larger 'burbs and cities are particularly easygoing about people who are newcomers to the area. They are pretty quick to invite you to events with them and aren't generally standoffish.

In the South they say 'Hello' to strangers and people nod to each other on the street even if they aren't acquainted in many places. However, in many Southern locales, it is pretty hard to make inroads if you don't have some type of relationship to someone in the area and the niceness is more superficial.

People in New England are nice; they just aren't as forward as the Midwesterners and are content to "live and let live".

Old 10-26-2017, 03:37 PM

406 posts, read 287,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
People I've met from there seem pretty nice for the most part. I've heard people complain about Boston but the few I've met from there have all been nice. New York City on the other hand...
Most real, authentic New Yorkers aren't bad at all, it's the conceited yuppies that think theyre hot stuff just because they can afford a closet sized apartment in Bushwick with their parents money that go around with pretentious attitudes. Go into most NY suburbs and people are fine just like everywhere else. It's just that some people here have a more "you do you I do me" attitude, and if you cross them then that's when it becomes a problem.

It is a tough city which most people don't remember. Things like the mob presence, 9/11 (and other incidents that people may have been through) etc. are things that have shaped their hard exterior, but I agree it can definitely come off as rude or stand-offish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.