U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 02:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,010 times

Advertisements

Greetings city-data forum users.
Tonight a couple of friends and I were sitting around discussing things and the idea of relocation popped up.
We've really outgrown this place, there never was much of any niche here for us anyway. It's mostly just a pit stop on the way to bigger cities. A lot of people choose to retire here..the most positive thing about it is the scenery, the state park is beautiful and it's a nice way to relax sometimes. But we are ready for a shift in our lives. a brand new place. I know there are lots of amazing states with neat little towns to live in, but we're sort of at a fork in the road for picking that "perfect" location.
We all brainstormed and came up with this list: (it's pretty random, but maybe it will help somewhat)

*lower unemployment rates(more options when it comes to jobs)
*entertainment that is more extensive than just bowling or going to the movies
*cafes
*places that stay open later(most of the businesses here close by 5)
*an active art community(for people in their 20's)
*local theatre
*nearby shops/maybe even a mall
*religious diversity(we live in the bible belt so we're tired of all the proselytizing)
*national parks are a plus
*within a short driving distance to bigger towns/cities
*pedestrian/biker friendly(even a plus if there's a bus route)
*decent local economy
*favorable gun laws
*a place with all four seasons(a little bit of snow)
*close to organic farms
*mountains in sight of where we live(near or far)
*culturally diverse
*affordable housing, lower property tax would be great(we're planning to buy a house)

I hope this short list helps somewhat..thanks in advance for any responses I receive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 06:15 AM

21,189 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Based on all of your criteria I think Corvallis, Oregon could be a great fit.

Moving to Corvallis - Visit Corvallis, Oregon

Old 11-08-2013, 07:31 AM

56,609 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Maybe Burlington VT, Boulder CO, Morgantown WV, Charlottesville VA.....This may require some loosening of the criteria, as this is pretty tough to find all of this in just one place.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:55 AM

390 posts, read 784,848 times
Boulder Colorado is the "Utopia" you seek

Old 11-09-2013, 07:28 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Based on all of your criteria I think Corvallis, Oregon could be a great fit.

Moving to Corvallis - Visit Corvallis, Oregon
I don't think Corvallis meets the requirements of lower unemployment and reasonable housing. Corvallis is pretty expensive if you want to buy a house and employment is mostly with OSU. Also, Oregon has some pretty high property taxes.

It does meet all the other requirements though.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:45 PM

9 posts, read 5,993 times
Utopia's don't exist. And building anywhere up to utopia will most likely lead to dissapointment. Saying this as someone who knows friends that went to florida or warmer parts of the country only to end up hating it.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:38 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,184,429 times
Four young guys - you know you gotta go to Portland or Seattle just for the adventure of it. Go - even if just for a year or two!

Old 11-12-2013, 05:50 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,202,242 times
I'll second Portland Oregon. My 24-year-old daughter moved there and absolutely loves it.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:58 PM

485 posts, read 731,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektro_Boi View Post
Greetings city-data forum users.
Tonight a couple of friends and I were sitting around discussing things and the idea of relocation popped up.
We've really outgrown this place, there never was much of any niche here for us anyway. It's mostly just a pit stop on the way to bigger cities. A lot of people choose to retire here..the most positive thing about it is the scenery, the state park is beautiful and it's a nice way to relax sometimes. But we are ready for a shift in our lives. a brand new place. I know there are lots of amazing states with neat little towns to live in, but we're sort of at a fork in the road for picking that "perfect" location.
We all brainstormed and came up with this list: (it's pretty random, but maybe it will help somewhat)

*lower unemployment rates(more options when it comes to jobs)
*entertainment that is more extensive than just bowling or going to the movies
*cafes
*places that stay open later(most of the businesses here close by 5)
*an active art community(for people in their 20's)
*local theatre
*nearby shops/maybe even a mall
*religious diversity(we live in the bible belt so we're tired of all the proselytizing)
*national parks are a plus
*within a short driving distance to bigger towns/cities
*pedestrian/biker friendly(even a plus if there's a bus route)
*decent local economy
*favorable gun laws
*a place with all four seasons(a little bit of snow)
*close to organic farms
*mountains in sight of where we live(near or far)
*culturally diverse
*affordable housing, lower property tax would be great(we're planning to buy a house)

I hope this short list helps somewhat..thanks in advance for any responses I receive.
I think maybe Sacramento and Pittsburgh sound like good fits for you guys. Obviously these two places aren't perfect in all those categories, but they seem to fit most of them.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:24 AM

13 posts, read 7,603 times
Try Sacramento
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or