Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2013, 10:46 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
Italians and southern europeans are very brunette/dark haired on average, even the few blondes/mousy haired you see there are obviously fake ones..
Not "obvious" at all. My mom's entire family -- my grandparents were straight off the boat from Italy -- are redheaded, hazel-eyed, fair-skinned, and freckled. No fake haircoloring -- at least, until we all reached our 40s.

The only brunette in the whole crowd is me -- and I get my dark skin, eyes and hair from my Polish father, who looked like his father; in contrast, his mother was fair-skinned and blonde.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:36 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
Yes, but you still can tell who is british and who is german.

This guy for example has stereotypical czech features, however I see him passing for a random german easily, but not passing as a brit at all.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...2010-08-25.jpg

This other guy has typical british appearance and Would never confusde him for continental european.

There are features much commoner in some places than in others, which create the typical features of a nation.
I personally can't

Put me in a room with all British people, every single one of them will look different and they all have different facial features, hair color, etc....

I'm no good at these things, i thought i saw a British customer at work, than she started speaking French, i asked her if she was from France and she giggled and said no i'm from Canada. whatever mistakes happen.

Black French tourist in Florida always get mistaken for being Hatians.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:53 PM

244 posts, read 592,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Have you actually been to Southern Italy or Sicily? There might be some, but it's not that common. Most people have darker features down there. I don't remember walking around Napoli seeing very many redhaired freckled types walking around...
It's funny how people insist on how people should look, especially when speaking of Italy it seems.

My entire family from my moms side is from Naples and Basilicata. Where no one looks/ed like a typical nordic person I have plenty of family members who are blonde and fair, brunette and fair, brunette with darker features, red headed and fair, dark brown hair blue or brown eyes etc etc....there isn't a universal look

Having also lived in Italy I have friends from all over the Peninsula, and I would say about 30+% of my friends are blonde, most of whom are from the south. I have handfull of friends who are redheads as well from both north and south.

On another note...I spend alot of time in Naples, which is where most of my friends/family are. I have lighter eyes, dark blonde hair, and a medium reddish skin tone...I am told frequently how obvious it is that my family is Neapolitan based on my looks, and this is said to me by Neapolitans. When I go elsewhere in Italy, even when I mask my Neapolitan accent and speak in neutral Italian, people always ask or guess or assume I am Neapolitan (or Campanian in general)

Old 11-09-2013, 01:49 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioLM View Post
It's funny how people insist on how people should look, especially when speaking of Italy it seems.

My entire family from my moms side is from Naples and Basilicata. Where no one looks/ed like a typical nordic person I have plenty of family members who are blonde and fair, brunette and fair, brunette with darker features, red headed and fair, dark brown hair blue or brown eyes etc etc....there isn't a universal look

Having also lived in Italy I have friends from all over the Peninsula, and I would say about 30+% of my friends are blonde, most of whom are from the south. I have handfull of friends who are redheads as well from both north and south.

On another note...I spend alot of time in Naples, which is where most of my friends/family are. I have lighter eyes, dark blonde hair, and a medium reddish skin tone...I am told frequently how obvious it is that my family is Neapolitan based on my looks, and this is said to me by Neapolitans. When I go elsewhere in Italy, even when I mask my Neapolitan accent and speak in neutral Italian, people always ask or guess or assume I am Neapolitan (or Campanian in general)
Sure, but I never said that there aren't blonde Italians or how anyone was supposed to look... Sure not everyone in every population looks the same. But is it too much to just say that in general while there might be blonds or the occasional redhead in southern Italy(red hair in general is rare outside of places like Ireland), many of the people there might have darker hair on average and there is a certain more Mediterranean look to the people. Because from my experience travelling there, plenty of people do, but yes you're right not everyone is exactly the same... I have the look of being a stockier guy with olive skin and black hair and that's what I find attractive in people, and in Italy I was in heaven(and I didn't stand out as much as among ze Germans). I sort of don't like being around tall blond Nordic people all the time, I feel like a swarthy little gypsy...

I mean there's maps to show the incidence of traits like blond and red hair throughout Europe(which is a little cold and clinical) or I can just look at my own photos I've taken in my travels of people in various countries... But does someone have to have a problem anytime someone points out that people from different parts of Europe might, well look a little different on average--or should we just say everyone looks basically the same...

Last edited by Deezus; 11-09-2013 at 02:44 PM..

Old 11-09-2013, 05:49 PM

187 posts, read 524,309 times
White is white!

Old 11-09-2013, 06:07 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Another mixture of looks here. If all my family were alive today, you would see blonds, redheads and brunettes. All natural hair colors. Eye colors would range from blue, green and brown. Builds from short and round to tall and slim. Noses from short and straight to slightly hooked (before getting nose jobs). Skin from very pale to olive. Height short to tall both men and women.

This is going back for about four generations.

Can anyone guess where all our ancestors came from? All the same place.

Spoiler
All came from eastern Europe, Lithuania and Latvia, both sides of the family.

I really don't think people always look the same coming from one region. There are a lot of variations. My grandfather for example who was born in one of the countries mentioned above, emigrated to Liverpool, England when he was about 12. Just by looking at him people often mistook him for a native. Of course as soon as he spoke, his accent gave him away.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:22 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Generally Southern Whites look more British while Midwestern Whites look more German. I know the typically Kentuckian looks totally different than the typically Ohian. Seems like people of Anglo / Celtic ancestry have rounder faces while Germans tend to have square faces and sharper features. I live in Louisville where Whites are about 50/50 on German immigrant roots and mixed Western European with mostly British Isles ancestry so it's something I see everyday.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:57 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Generally Southern Whites look more British while Midwestern Whites look more German. I know the typically Kentuckian looks totally different than the typically Ohian. Seems like people of Anglo / Celtic ancestry have rounder faces while Germans tend to have square faces and sharper features. I live in Louisville where Whites are about 50/50 on German immigrant roots and mixed Western European with mostly British Isles ancestry so it's something I see everyday.
This thread just gets sillier and sillier.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
This thread just gets sillier and sillier.
Clearly, we need 5 pictures each of white Kentuckians and white Ohioans to show the drastic difference.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:01 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Clearly, we need 5 pictures each of white Kentuckians and white Ohioans to show the drastic difference.
I'm sure just about anyone would be able to tell an Ohioan apart from a Kentuckian -- they look so different after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.