Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 08:23 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmega View Post
That tone might be more similar to exotic southern Europeans or periphery coastal Mediterranean areas of the Middle East.
Southern European skin tone is "exotic"?

Old 12-08-2013, 09:52 AM

824 posts, read 3,603,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
which is why you can't lump white americans together as one.
ireland was the country where I could picture the most of its people passing for white americans...

I read on a report..

The census is based upon questionnaires and have been compiled from answers given by a sample group. Therefore the answers given will reflect what the individual knows about their ancestry. Many U.S. citizens do not know their ancestry entirely; partly for that reason, a large proportion simply call themselves "American" ancestry (not including American Indians) or know that a part of their ancestry is Irish or at least has an Irish name and will therefore say 'Irish' as their ancestry, when in fact most of their ancestry is English.
An analysis of Census information and immigration records would suggest that 62 percent of White Americans today are of British Isles descent, and a total of 86 percent are of Northwestern European origins. Approximately 14 percent of U.S. whites are of southern and eastern European ancestry.

If we count those who are of Irish ancestry (who fall within the range of variation of British Isles looks) It would be safe to say that As much as 75%+ of white americans are partly or fully British Isles or Irish ancestry, that's why I can tell apart more often than not white americans from continental europeans...

Lets not forget about different attitudes, fashion style and diet back home.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:59 AM

824 posts, read 3,603,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
I don't care about what some dubious site out of a million of such sites showing different results says.

Actual life long German men in their late forties are certain that Germans are darker skinned than Brits. These two guys are based in China now constructing beer brewery equipment. They're real Germans, not German Americans and lived in Germany for decades. It's also common to see East Asian women lighter than most white women. They're of the same tone as a light Celt woman and lighter than non British/Celt white women.
Jablonski study of university of California some doubious source?.

Some east asian might look lighter because they produce a much greater contrast with jet black hair. The whitest skinned whites (as in Scandinavian, Baltic states, Netherlands and Northern germany) usually have much lighter/blonde hair ,hence the contrast with skin is way different.

Just compare a light skinned guy (type 3 skin) wearing a white sleveless shirt, his skin would not look that pale, but once you shift that for a black shirt his skin will give the effect of being quite pale.

East asians are on average much darker skinned than europeans,

http://thirdkit.com/wp-content/uploa...hkoreateam.jpg

http://u.goal.com/100800/100829hp2.jpg

They are on average even darker than southern europeans, and you have to note the cultural trends, east asians do not take sun, they value pale skin and do anything to keep it as much pale as possible.

On the other hand Europeans love getting tanned. Put both on their natural state, europeans are far lighter than east asians.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:34 PM

237 posts, read 673,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Southern European skin tone is "exotic"?
Read what I wrote again. I specified only the darker "exotic" southern Europeans. Not all southern Europeans. That means some Italians, Greeks, and Iberians who have a more swarthy skin tone than is typical of southern Europe.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:56 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
East asians are on average much darker skinned than europeans,

http://thirdkit.com/wp-content/uploa...hkoreateam.jpg

http://u.goal.com/100800/100829hp2.jpg

They are on average even darker than southern europeans, and you have to note the cultural trends, east asians do not take sun, they value pale skin and do anything to keep it as much pale as possible.

On the other hand Europeans love getting tanned. Put both on their natural state, europeans are far lighter than east asians.
Those pictures are hardly representative of East Asians, though.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:07 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Brits are lighter in skin tone than Germans. If you even want to consider arguing, let me be known that two German men from Germany in their late 40s told me without a shadow of a doubt just last night. They also say they can tell natives from almost every European country apart.

You may also want to consult a map to find out which country is more northern.

I'm actually surprised by the level in ignorance in this thread, British pale pasty skin is so famous or Infamous that I know non white people who live in Asia that know of it.
I'm British, I don't have 'pale pasty' skin, neither does anybody in my family and of the 200 or so friends I have on Facebook only one has red hair and pale skin (and she's beautiful) so no the British (like the Germans) are a mix of skin tones and colouring, any body that says anything different is just talking stereotypical nonsense (and that includes your German friends)

Old 12-11-2013, 02:21 AM

237 posts, read 673,904 times
Quote:
Most Anglo Americans I know have dark eyes and hair and (light skin).

And I wonder why you talk as if everybody naturally thinks like you that blue eyes are better. Women prefer dark eyed men and dark haired men.
This is because of various mixing you'd expect with a melting pot immigrant population like the USA. Americans in the south who claim to be Anglo/Scots Irish might also have a black or a native ancestor. It might not show prominently in general phenotype, but it affects the probability of having light eyes, hair colour, and skin tone. Other ancestries can also alter the perception towards how comparable they are to specific European countries. An average English or German person is going to be typically lighter than your average American white, and might even stand out in terms of much more localized north European facial features. At least 3/4 or more have light eyes in Britain and Germany, but it's no where near that with US whites. An "Anglo" American might not entirely represent what the English look like on a whole.

Last edited by Mmega; 12-11-2013 at 02:31 AM..

Old 12-11-2013, 03:54 AM

647 posts, read 1,217,268 times
Quote:
Brits usually have the pinky white skin tone, or very white skin that turns red and burns rather than tans. Germans often have identical skin, but less of the latter. Germans usually tan easier than Brits, and seem a little more tolerant of the sun. Light eye shades are similar, but higher percentages for the Irish and some of the Scots.

East Asians can have very white skin, but it's completely different. It usually doesn't show any pink, even in the sun, and tans easily. For that reason, light East Asian skin more resembles southern European skin tone. They can rarely have a pinky paleness but usually even Koreans, Japanese, and northern Chinese have more of an olive complexion to light brown on average. That tone might be more similar to exotic southern Europeans or periphery coastal Mediterranean areas of the Middle East.
Your drivel about East Asian skin is a mistaken stereotype that White people have.

The difference between East Asian skin and European skin is both could start out with the same shade (newborns) and that when the former tans, their skin turns yellow brown and when the latter tans, their skin turns reddish brown but even then I see many White Americans with a yellow brown tan with no redness. I have seen many White men with browner and tanner skin than East Asian men in East Asia when I taught English. Why would you ascribe a Southern European-Olive complexion to a tanned East Asian and when a White person who is tanned, you don't see it? Are you saying there are no White people who are tanned brown? How ridiculous LOL. Because that would be incongruous to what we see everyday around us in this universe. I feel amused because it's as if there could be Whites who are so protective of their 'White' status (a definition of race that was mistakenly and inaccurately pegged to skin color to differentiate from blacks) that they could actually spontaneously turn blind to what is plain and obvious everyday round them, and the thought of that just freaks me out though the oblivion is amusing.

These are some hot white hunks who are tanned and this is how White people look like when tanned. http://trendsupdates.com/wp-content/...ck-hunks-2.jpg How could you not realize what is around you? What is wrong with you?

Both races tan and it's how the tanned appearance differs that makes their skin tone look different. They can be tanned equally brown but some White men look reddish brown, while East Asian men are yellow brown when tanned.

This is a US-born East Asian American. Look at her neck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVlP3B4yEUk

Have you ever been to East Asia? I'm guessing not. If you ever have the chance to travel one day, you will see for yourself and go in mid March, when it starts thawing. Why would any White person who doesn't tie supremacist views to skin color believe he has an exclusive right to any skin tone when there is a region in East Asia with temperatures that correspond directly to an equal part in Europe and North America, which are all in the Northern Hemisphere?

The East Asian Americans in the Midwest I see get so light every winter, many are lighter than some White people and as light as the lightest White Americans of Scottish, Irish and English ancestries. I've seen a Taiwanese-American's feet. I know.

Last edited by sadgirl80; 12-11-2013 at 04:37 AM..

Old 12-11-2013, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
You talk too much crap and you try too hard to push your South American agenda, which everybody sees through. LOL.

Your natural state talk is crap. What the hell is natural state? It is the color that one is born with without tanning.

All races can tan.

It's their natural color before tanning that counts. That is the natural state. At natural states, there are many East Asians that are the same shade as White people. This is a fact and it is obvious that there are Americans here who are not deluded like you in Latin America. There are East Asian women looking like ghosts in the Midwest after five months of sunless season, one works in my office next door and the skin on her chest and inner arms is paler than most of the White guys she dates.

Maybe if you didn't live in such a hot place, you'd be less insecure about your skin and eye color that you wouldn't have been driven to start threads like this on American forums. Lame

Last edited by sadgirl80; 12-11-2013 at 04:17 AM..

Old 12-11-2013, 04:15 AM

Quote:
This is because of various mixing you'd expect with a melting pot immigrant population like the USA. Americans in the south who claim to be Anglo/Scots Irish might also have a black or a native ancestor. It might not show prominently in general phenotype, but it affects the probability of having light eyes, hair colour, and skin tone. Other ancestries can also alter the perception towards how comparable they are to specific European countries. An average English or German person is going to be typically lighter than your average American white, and might even stand out in terms of much more localized north European facial features. At least 3/4 or more have light eyes in Britain and Germany, but it's no where near that with US whites. An "Anglo" American might not entirely represent what the English look like on a whole.
I agree that Americans are more likely to be mixed but I disagree with your claim about that an "average English or German person is going to be typically lighter than your American white". It is untrue, from my own life experience. There is no difference in skin lightness before tanning between White Americans and White Germans/British.

I might not have spent enough time in Germany but many Germans and Brits come to the US. This sounds like prime nonsense fueled by ignorance, passed on from one White American to another because they "like" the theory of it, cause it "feels" right and good but as usual is garbage when tested against facts. Same as their perceptions of East Asians, when most of them have never been out of North America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I'm British, I don't have 'pale pasty' skin, neither does anybody in my family and of the 200 or so friends I have on Facebook only one has red hair and pale skin (and she's beautiful) so no the British (like the Germans) are a mix of skin tones and colouring, any body that says anything different is just talking stereotypical nonsense (and that includes your German friends)
That hasn't been my experience. The German Americans are much less pasty and ghostly looking like the Anglo Americans. I can vouch for what I see daily in places I've lived. I am not an expert in telling native Europeans in Europe apart. So perhaps it differs in the UK. I have only visited Germany, and was just there for a few weeks, so I will concede that you probably know better than I do.

Last edited by sadgirl80; 12-11-2013 at 04:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.