Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 09:59 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times

Advertisements

They are pretty easy to spot if they are from Europe, harder in lots of the U.S. b/c of generations of mixing.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:06 AM

824 posts, read 3,603,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'd still say German rather than English. Germans may or may not be blonder (spending time in Germany, I didn't see anywhere near as many blonds as in Scandinavia). However, having spent a year living in England, most British people are very...distinct...looking compared to Americans, and not in a good way.

English people really do seem to tend to be homelier on average. Every single attractive woman I met when I lived in England tended to actually not be full-blooded English (Irish, Welsh, Jewish, had a parent who was an immigrant from elswhere in Europe, etc). This doesn't seem to come across as much online, because celebrities are obviously far better looking than the norm, and facial composite morphs by nature tend to smooth out any weird features like buck teeth, big noses, sharp cheekbones, and receding chins.

No offense is meant to any English people reading this. I otherwise loved living there, and loved the personalities of English people. Just physically they tended to stand out in ways I never noticed generic white Americans standing out.

I agree with that.. but

for example many english/British women look like that:

http://www.documentingreality.com/fo...rg_450x390.jpg

I have seen countless women in the states with similar features and pigmentation..

German women however seem to be more on the tallish side on average compared to their british and White american counterparts, also more often blonde or at least blondish, the combination of very dark hair and pale skin seem to be much more prominent among white american women and British ones.

For exampel those people

http://www.assist-inc.org/sites/assi...v2_2013-14.jpg

you can easily say they are not Western/anglospheric whites (aka North americans, brits, aussies) but they rather look like central europeasn/germanics such as germans and czech/some poles. Their features look quite different from a random group of white people in the states.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:30 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
"Whites" are a broad category. Russians have a distinct look(so do other Slavs). I spot Russians all the time in my city just by looks. Southern Italians or Greeks or Spanish don't look like Brits or Scandanavians either. A lot of Northern Europeans look similar but even then there's some distinctions(The British Isles tend to have a higher incidence of red hair and freckles).

That's like saying all black/Africans look alike or all East Asian groups look alike.
I know every country has their stereotypical "look" but in reality white Europeans look very similar to each other. Does Bono look Irish? Yes he does -- he looks very Irish. Dark thin features. He's not what a stereotypical Irishman looks like though, and if you didn't know him, you wouldn't at all be surprised to find out he was from Spain, Italy or Germany. How about Sean Connery? Katherine Zeta-Jones?

You really think you'd be able to tell these people are from Russia based on facial features alone?

https://www.google.com/search?q=russ...ml%3B406%3B320

Old 11-08-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I know every country has their stereotypical "look" but in reality white Europeans look very similar to each other. Does Bono look Irish? Yes he does -- he looks very Irish. Dark thin features. He's not what a stereotypical Irishman looks like though, and if you didn't know him, you wouldn't at all be surprised to find out he was from Spain, Italy or Germany. How about Sean Connery? Katherine Zeta-Jones?

You really think you'd be able to tell these people are from Russia based on facial features alone?

Morphs never look representative, because blends always soften extreme features, walk in saint petersburgh and then go back to dublin people look very very different anywhere you go except whose areas have been inhabitated by nearly the same people, such as parts in deep south germany and austria.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:46 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
Morphs never look representative, because blends always soften extreme features, walk in saint petersburgh and then go back to dublin people look very very different anywhere you go except whose areas have been inhabitated by nearly the same people, such as parts in deep south germany and austria.
I bet if we took plain faces with non descript hairstyles and fashions from England, Germany, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, France and even Italy, Spain and Greece and asked people to guess where they were from based on picture alone, the results would be near random. Scandinavians do tend to be much fairer and blonder so you might be able to tell them apart from others. When I went to Krygyzstan, I met many ethnic Russians. Some looked stereotypically Russian, but others -- like our interpreter -- would have fit right in in just about any European country.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:49 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post

Sean Connery, Katherine Zeta Jones, Bono, Colin Farrell, etc. are not the best people to use for a stereotypical Irish/British Isles look as they are "black Irish" and do in fact have Spanish blood way back from the Moor invasion on the West Coast of Ireland and Wales/Scotland.

My Grandpa was from County Mayo, Ireland but probably looked more Spanish or Portuguese to people with tan skin and dark features.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:54 AM

390 posts, read 941,084 times
Eastern Europeans are known to have bonier faces than Western Europeans.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Sean Connery, Katherine Zeta Jones, Bono, Colin Farrell, etc. are not the best people to use for a stereotypical Irish look as they are "black Irish" and do in fact have Spanish blood way back from the Moor invasion on the West Coast of Ireland and Wales/Scotland.

My Grandpa was from County Mayo, Ireland but probably looked more Spanish or Portuguese to people with tan skin and dark features.
Black Irish? black Irish is an american created word to depict Irish with dark features. If you mean they are dark because of their arkbrown/black hair, then most Irish back in Ireland must be of the black Irish variety, because dark brown hair is the most common hair color among the Irish.

http://www.stpaulsbessbrook.org/wp-c...3/IMG_7359.jpg

https://www.dkit.ie/system/files/Cer...h_students.jpg

Old 11-08-2013, 10:58 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
Black Irish? black Irish is an american created word to depict Irish with dark features. If you mean they are dark because of their arkbrown/black hair, then most Irish back in Ireland must be of the black Irish variety, because dark brown hair is the most common hair color among the Irish.

http://www.stpaulsbessbrook.org/wp-c...3/IMG_7359.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...dzPLOvDkezKJ-Z
Yes, brown hair is the most common but with fair skin. The "black irish" are more tan due to having Spanish blood from invasions centuries earlier. It is commonly known in Ireland mainly on the West Coast. I don't hear the term much from Americans.

"In fact, the closest genetic relatives of the Irish in Europe are to be found in the north of Spain in the region known as the Basque Country. "

Blood of the Irish: What DNA Tells Us About the Ancestry of People in Ireland

Old 11-08-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Yes, brown hair is the most common but with fair skin. The "black irish" are more tan due to having Spanish blood from invasions centuries earlier. It is commonly known in Ireland mainly on the West Coast. I don't hear the term much from Americans.

" In fact, the closest genetic relatives of the Irish in Europe are to be found in the north of Spain in the region known as the Basque Country. "

Blood of the Irish: What DNA Tells Us About the Ancestry of People in Ireland

Yes but that applies to the whole British Isles and Ireland, the ancient british populations were related to other atlantic european populations, paleolithic hunter gatherers whom inhabitated those areas several thousand years ago (western france, Northern iberia and the British Isles.

Last edited by Traveler86; 11-08-2013 at 11:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.