U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-08-2013, 09:33 AM
 
831 posts, read 2,715,060 times
Reputation: 177

Advertisements

Considering most white americans are of largely mixed ancestry, however in many of them you can tell they are for some reason white americans and not off-boat europeans, what european ethnicity would you say is the most similar to White americans? The British/Irish (very similar groupd to each other) or the Germans?

It would be of worth value if people who actually traveled to those areas could add their personal input and not based on stereotypes.

Random White american Students:

http://www.shop-progreso.com/people/Arkansaskids.jpg


Random German students:

http://rockvillecentral.com/wp-conte...lican-2010.jpg

http://www.assist-inc.org/sites/assi...v2_2013-14.jpg

http://img.welt.de/img/koeln/crop105...rlin-Koeln.jpg

https://www.tu-braunschweig.de/Medie...g_1803_web.jpg

http://www.kn-online.de/var/storage/...rtikelQuer.jpg

http://tahirchaudhry.de/onewebstatic...7-DSC06422.JPG

http://rockyourlife.de/-/uploads/fle...otocollage.jpg


Random British Students:

http://www.archbishopofyork.org/york...y_students.jpg

http://www.nottinghamrl.co.uk/Resour...udents2013.gif

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/image...10716157-1.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-veu748KZD_...t+Protests.jpg

http://www.uk.coop/sites/storage/pub...ur_winners.jpg

http://www.brignewspaper.com/wp-cont...k-Cup-team.jpg



In your opinion whose features are more familiar for a white american perspective?

 
Old 11-08-2013, 09:34 AM
 
54 posts, read 65,292 times
Reputation: 37
German by far but they are more concentrated in the Midwest and regions with low population. On the east coast it is exclusively Irish and English looking, down south it is mostly British looking.
 
Old 11-08-2013, 09:36 AM
 
12,050 posts, read 11,142,366 times
Reputation: 10009
Whites look alike. You can not tell a German apart from an Irishman, Englishman, Russian, etc. You would also not be able to distinguish a European from a white American if they were dressed exactly the same and had the exact same hairstyle.
 
Old 11-08-2013, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
11,881 posts, read 10,379,700 times
Reputation: 8050
Irish people come from Celts and English from Anglo-Saxons so they are not the same (Irish are way better looking haha) but in the US I would say most white Americans look German influenced with many also having Italian/Irish looks.
 
Old 11-08-2013, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,414 posts, read 11,910,584 times
Reputation: 10533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine The Great View Post
German by far but they are more concentrated in the Midwest and regions with low population. On the east coast it is exclusively Irish and English looking, down south it is mostly British looking.
I think you're wrong on the East Coast being mostly Irish and English looking. Italian-Americans are the largest single group in Rhode Island(19.9%), Connecticut(19.8%), New Jersey(18.4%), and New York (14.4%). They also make up 14.2% of the people in Massachusetts, and 12.6% in Pennsylvania.

When you add to this the large number of Jewish people on the east coast (9,1% in NY, 5.5% in NJ, 4.4% in Massachusetts, etc), plus a disproportionate number of Greeks, Lebanese, Portuguese, etc, white Americans are probably the darkest complexion in the Northeast.
 
Old 11-08-2013, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,414 posts, read 11,910,584 times
Reputation: 10533
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Whites look alike. You can not tell a German apart from an Irishman, Englishman, Russian, etc. You would also not be able to distinguish a European from a white American if they were dressed exactly the same and had the exact same hairstyle.
There is distinct variance if you look at say a Finn on one side, or a Sicilian on the other. However most common European ethnic groups fall between these two poles, and realistically someone of "average American" looks wouldn't be out of place nearly anywhere in Europe.
 
Old 11-08-2013, 09:44 AM
 
831 posts, read 2,715,060 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Whites look alike. You can not tell a German apart from an Irishman, Englishman, Russian, etc. You would also not be able to distinguish a European from a white American if they were dressed exactly the same and had the exact same hairstyle.

You can, specially eastern from western europeans, and northern from southern europeans


Maybe in the states its harder because white groups are quite mixe, however in mainland europe its way easier a group of dutch and french look nothing alike, neither a group of germans or brits.

For example that girl looks very german, Although I could picture her as being dutch aswell, but never british.



very german faces :

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/D...NFQ4gBXdMl.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FpuqqUSSTQ...25283%2529.jpg

http://europe.educationnews.com/wp-c...4/germany1.jpg



very british faces:


http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1...phie-dee-2.jpg

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/an...background.jpg

http://www.documentingreality.com/fo...rg_450x390.jpg

I personally believe the last picture of british girls is by far the most standard "white-american" looking there.
 
Old 11-08-2013, 09:47 AM
 
831 posts, read 2,715,060 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There is distinct variance if you look at say a Finn on one side, or a Sicilian on the other. However most common European ethnic groups fall between these two poles, and realistically someone of "average American" looks wouldn't be out of place nearly anywhere in Europe.
Finns are a bad example they are very easy to tell apart. and no most dont fall between two poles becaue Finnish people tend to have very unique and different features.
 
Old 11-08-2013, 09:52 AM
 
9,967 posts, read 14,607,998 times
Reputation: 9193
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Whites look alike. You can not tell a German apart from an Irishman, Englishman, Russian, etc. You would also not be able to distinguish a European from a white American if they were dressed exactly the same and had the exact same hairstyle.
"Whites" are a broad category. Russians have a distinct look(so do other Slavs). I spot Russians all the time in my city just by looks. Southern Italians or Greeks or Spanish don't look like Brits or Scandanavians either. A lot of Northern Europeans look similar but even then there's some distinctions(The British Isles tend to have a higher incidence of red hair and freckles).

That's like saying all black/Africans look alike or all East Asian groups look alike.
 
Old 11-08-2013, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,414 posts, read 11,910,584 times
Reputation: 10533
I'd still say German rather than English. Germans may or may not be blonder (spending time in Germany, I didn't see anywhere near as many blonds as in Scandinavia). However, having spent a year living in England, most British people are very...distinct...looking compared to Americans, and not in a good way.

English people really do seem to tend to be homelier on average. Every single attractive woman I met when I lived in England tended to actually not be full-blooded English (Irish, Welsh, Jewish, had a parent who was an immigrant from elswhere in Europe, etc). This doesn't seem to come across as much online, because celebrities are obviously far better looking than the norm, and facial composite morphs by nature tend to smooth out any weird features like buck teeth, big noses, sharp cheekbones, and receding chins.

No offense is meant to any English people reading this. I otherwise loved living there, and loved the personalities of English people. Just physically they tended to stand out in ways I never noticed generic white Americans standing out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top