Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 12:20 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times

Advertisements

From my own experience, Colorado and PNW. A lot of people from these places whom I have met seem to not only engae in passive-aggressive behavior, but seem thin-skinned and prone to taking offence from convivial trash talk. Yes, that is a thing :-)

Then when you try to explain the anthropological significance of trash talk and its use as a social amelioration tool in many societies, historical and present, they get all huffy and call you an insufferable pedant. Well, they don't actually call you anything because they are passive agressive. They just refuse to pass you the salt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 01:31 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
If I'm talking to someone and I sense that they need to get going, I also see no problem with saying, "Well, I'll let you go", but I usually clarify my meaning by adding something like, "It looks like you're busy running errands today", or, "since you're on your way to pick up your daughter from soccer practice". That makes them see that I'm trying to be polite and accommodate their busy schedule, not dump them because I'm tired of talking to them.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:58 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryBrownBear View Post
Hi guys,

In what states people have passive-aggressive behaviour. Like it described here:

Minnesota Passive-Aggressive — Steven Alm and Friends

In what states people are opposite to it?

Thank you…

As a Minnesotan, I can definitely verify that his observations are true. In Minnesotan culture, one is polite and friendly at all times to everyone outside their immediate families. This isn't dissimulation most of the time; people here truly are kind and extroverted. But even if I vehemently disagree with what you say, it's hard not to nod in agreement with you, or at least express opposition.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:49 AM

267 posts, read 447,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
If by lower New England you mean southern New England (MA/CT/RI) then I agree with you 100%.
Really? Most people around here ,that Ive spoken to, tell you exactly how they feel. In fact I will too. In New England most people are honest, blunt, and wear their emotions on their sleeves unless they are from NYC or somewhere else and think that they are living a "posh" and sophisticated wealthy life here.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:04 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,052,100 times
I find most white, middle or upper class Americans from northern and western states to be very passive aggressive. It makes me think of the stereotypical white mother (ie leaving notes or "friendly reminders", sing talking, criticising whilst still being nice, etc)

Old 07-09-2015, 11:34 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
I would say:

1) The Pacific Northwest - pretty much king of this kind of behavior
2) The Upper Midwest - "Minnesota nice" being more or less a less extreme Seattle freeze
3) The rest of the Western US (aside from Utah possibly)
4) the South. Southern hospitality can take on a nasty angle.

The least passive aggressive part of the country is the Northeast. They're just active aggressive, lmao!

Old 07-09-2015, 11:43 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
I find most white, middle or upper class Americans from northern and western states to be very passive aggressive. It makes me think of the stereotypical white mother (ie leaving notes or "friendly reminders", sing talking, criticising whilst still being nice, etc)
Yeah I don't mean to pick on women or sound misogynistic either, but I think women are more passive aggressive than men. They are just as angry as men, but aren't "allowed" to show it in the same obvious and aggressive kinds of ways, or at least weren't until recent generations.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:00 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,627,477 times
Every state. There are passive aggressive people in New York and there are tell it like it is people in Minnesota. One of the most passive aggressive people I've met so far was from Brooklyn. In any case, there are pros of learning how to be assertive without being aggressive or passive aggressive.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:27 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Yeah I don't mean to pick on women or sound misogynistic either, but I think women are more passive aggressive than men. They are just as angry as men, but aren't "allowed" to show it in the same obvious and aggressive kinds of ways, or at least weren't until recent generations.
That's a bunch of BS. In my experience, both men and women can be equally passive aggressive OR overtly demonstrative. I've seen it all. It's really all about personalities, and not so much about gender.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:30 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,286,837 times
Whichever state my mother is living in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.