U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2013, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 584 times

Advertisements

I would like to move to a place that has excellent public transportation, and plenty of good jobs. I need a place that has affordable living, and affordable homes. I can only afford about $150,000 for a home.

A multi-generational, 2,000 sq. feet +, one story (no stairs or basements), maintenance-free, brick, 100% handicapped-accessible home would be ideal. I hope for new construction. I need 3 bedrooms minimum, 2 1/2 baths minimum, 3 car garage minimum (I don't want the garage doors on the front of the home). I need walk-in closets and plenty of storage (including a large kitchen pantry). I need low-maintenace landscaping. I would like a porch to sit on when the weather is nice, or an all-weather porch. I do not want HOA rules/restrictions, or fees. I would like an area where I can grow an organic vegetable garden. I would like a home that is hooked to the grid, but can also be energy independent during storms/power outages. I would like to be close to shopping, dining, medical, and jobs. I also need an area where pets are kept indoors, on a leash, or in fences that they can not escape from. An area with sidewalks, dog parks, bike paths, and walking trails would be ideal. I want large rooms, open floorplan, and high ceilings. I need a lot of built-in bookshelves. I need public transportation that goes everywhere, runs 24 hours, and can accommodate a disability. I need an area where people choose to be kind to one another, live in peace together, and everyone accepts everyone for exactly who they are. I prefer to avoid snow but will consider colder areas if they meet the rest of my needs. I can't do any "fixxer-uppers."

Are there any states that do not have a property tax? I recently listened to a radio show that had a gentleman caller. His parents left a modest home to him when they passed away. The caller was on a fixed income and was now unable to afford the property taxes. So, the gentleman said that he would have to sell his home, and would likely get very little for it (it needed repairs he could not afford to make). This home was all his parents had been able to leave to him, and the home was all he had left of his parents. The caller was also disabled and was tearfully telling the radio host that he would likely become homeless as a result of having to move out of the home. He went on to ask the radio show host for advice.

Are there any cities that are removing abandoned, blighted, outdated buildings to make room for new, updated homes, like the one I mentioned above?

Do you know of an area that can fulfill the above needs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 07:10 PM

3,329 posts, read 3,993,853 times
You may consider getting a condo in Chicago. It's the only major city that comes to mind that has good transit and more affordable housing (compared to other big cities--NYC, Boston, LA, SF, DC). The older buildings there have built in bookcases and cabinetry.

But you won't be able to get a SFH at that price though in the city.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:47 PM

56,539 posts, read 80,847,919 times
I think the request has to be more specific in terms of the types of jobs you are looking for. That may help pinpoint where to look. With that said, it may be hard to find a place with "excellent" public transportation and that price tag for the type of home you are looking for.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:16 AM

6,312 posts, read 6,965,178 times
I agree with what the other posters said. All those nice amenities you seek are paid for by taxes, including property tax. And public transit that goes everywhere and runs 24 hours a day? I'd have to do some research but my educated guess is that there are no more than five transit systems in the US that operate 24 hours. And the portions that run 24 hours certainly don't go everywhere.

Anyway, best of luck to you!

Old 11-10-2013, 01:20 AM

8,287 posts, read 11,831,265 times
It seems you like you want the benefits of the "bells & whistles" of Urbane living without having to pay for it.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:40 PM

36 posts, read 69,485 times
Why u need public transportation? Are u terrible driver?

Old 11-10-2013, 06:37 PM

542 posts, read 1,405,834 times
Portland Oregon

Old 11-10-2013, 06:46 PM

4,787 posts, read 9,295,185 times
What you describe is utopia and it doesn't exist.

You want amenities paid for by taxes but don't want to pay the taxes necessary to have them. You want what is essentially a suburban type location for your home, but want super large city transit options. Only a handful of huge cities have 24 hour a day transportation. You want a new, brick, fairly substantial home, with a three car garage and with lots of bells and whistles for a rock bottom price not really consistent with reality.

I think you're going to have to prioritize the things on your wish list and then do the best you can from there. Example, if you need 24 hour a day public transportation options that means living in an apartment, high rise condo or co-op in a very large city.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:50 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
Portland Oregon
Why? Portland has high property taxes and nothing like the OP describes in the way of housing within his price range. Nothing in the way of public transportation runs 24/7 either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or