U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2013, 09:25 AM

3 posts, read 3,009 times

Advertisements

Although I have read numerous posts in threads for different states on this site and have gathered helpful information; I still do not feel I have enough information to be certain of where I want to relocate, so I decided to post my first thread in an attempt to obtain advice for my unique situation. Thank you , in advance, to any contributions.

A bit about me: I am from NC and have lived in a couple of other states for a short period of time (had to move back to NC due to marriage/family circumstances). There are pros and cons to every area but I have wanted to venture out of NC for many years. I am seeking different culture than what is typical for NC (even though I was born here, there seems to be something culturally different about me, even to the extent of many others from here believing I just moved to NC when they meet me). I may possibly be open to the idea of simply locating to another city in NC if it will be suitable, but the idea of making a new start in another state is something I am definitely interested in.

I am a divorced mother who seeks to advance in the IT field. I am 31. I have a degree in Computer Science (I have worked in tech support but will be looking for positions that entail more time working with computer admin, coding, and analysis). I have an INTJ personality type (Introverted and rational personality type).

NC cities/towns I have lived in include Winston-Salem and currently a smaller town. Winston Salem had plusses but I lived there for many years and would like a change, there are also factors such as the fact that the crime seems to have increased in WS. I enjoy the beauty of the current town not far from Boone (with parks and mountains) but there are few opportunities in the IT field here (I work in one of the few), many here seem very concerned with what others are doing and I have found that many will find people to target with gossip and lies, and there are not many options for schools. I would like to compare towns in NC with those in others states.

I welcome suggestions for any state. I have considered Boston, MA; Roanoke, VA; Austin, TX (although weather may be to hot there); Seattle, WA (although this would be a more drastic change), as well as many others.

Basically, I am looking for the following:

safe area with good elementary schools for my four year old
summers which are not as hot and humid as NC summers
city with relatively little gossip and nosiness
tech/IT career opportunities
near coffee houses, museums, and parks
mountains or beaches

Last edited by techgal332; 11-10-2013 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: post may have been too vague
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 09:37 AM

27,596 posts, read 24,658,965 times
What's wrong with the Raleigh/Durham area? It meets pretty much all your criteria.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 3,009 times
Mutiny77,
Thanks for the inquiry. I have actually considered the Raleigh area. I have passed through the area several times but have not thoroughly explored it and have not lived in the area. I have discovered good things about Raleigh/Durham, such as the IT opportunities available (with the Research Triangle), family friendly areas near the city (such as Cary), amenities (including museums, coffee shops, and parks), and highly rated schools. I am concerned about the cost of living as I solely provide for my family, but if I landed a position in IT that paid well enough, then I may be able to afford a good home in a safe area. I would possibly be interested in living outside of Raleigh as statistics show a fairly high crime rate for Raleigh.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:49 AM

27,596 posts, read 24,658,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techgal332 View Post
Mutiny77,
Thanks for the inquiry. I have actually considered the Raleigh area. I have passed through the area several times but have not thoroughly explored it and have not lived in the area. I have discovered good things about Raleigh/Durham, such as the IT opportunities available (with the Research Triangle), family friendly areas near the city (such as Cary), amenities (including museums, coffee shops, and parks), and highly rated schools. I am concerned about the cost of living as I solely provide for my family, but if I landed a position in IT that paid well enough, then I may be able to afford a good home in a safe area. I would possibly be interested in living outside of Raleigh as statistics show a fairly high crime rate for Raleigh.
Being that you're already in NC, I'm surprised the Triangle isn't at the top of your list. Moving expenses would be less and you wouldn't have the hassle of changing your residency or vehicle registration. Like any city, you have your rough areas but Raleigh also has plenty of safe areas. There are also enough suburbs for you to look into.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:53 PM

21 posts, read 20,051 times
This might seem like an absolutely crazy idea, but have you considered NYC? It is definitely not for everyone, and the high cost can put city living out of reach for a lot of people.

The area that comes to mind is Battery Park City, at the southern tip of Manhattan. It is a safe and clean family-friendly neighborhood that is right on the water. There are quite a few parks and esplanades in the area, all of which are very family friendly. There is no shortage of restaurants, cafes, museums, and culture…it is New York after all. The Battery Park Schools are also very good, among the best in the city. As far as your IT career goes, there are tons of IT jobs in New York. And with the amount of startups, there is also plenty of opportunity. People are not really nosy in New York, everyone is too busy for that. The summers are not too bad, though the subway stations get pretty hot in mid-summer, but the trains have A/C. Speaking of the subways, being able to use public transportation helps with the higher cost, as you won't need (or want) a car. No mountains, but plenty of water. There are some good beaches around an hour or two drive into Long Island, and the mountains are only around an hour or two away as well. Thats all the good news, the bad is of course the cost. Expect your rent in Battery Park City to be anywhere from $3k-$5k per month for a decent one bedroom. I realize that is a wide range, it really depends on the amenities, building, view, etc. That is a lot of money each month, but with the right job that might be attainable.

I currently live in NYC, not far from Battery Park City. Before NYC I lived in Raleigh, and while I liked it there, I wanted to make a drastic change to get me out of my comfort zone, which is why I moved to New York. The move was the shot in the arm that I needed, and my life and career have benefited greatly.

It would definitely be a drastic change for you, but that can be fun right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.