Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 11:16 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I probably hear more angst against Canada than the average person, since my husband works in the oil and gas sector, and many Canadians come down here to Texas to work as well. It's really not a good fit sociologically on a lot of levels, and there's some friction - from the Canadians as well as from the Texans. Believe me, it goes both ways. We're not hating on Canadians, but let's just say that their approach to many things differs dramatically from ours in the business world. And they're visiting Texas, not the other way around. You know the old "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." It's not as if Texas doesn't have a pretty good handle on this whole oil and gas thang.
I'm curious what some of the differences are.

Quote:
I said that about the German influence sort of tongue in cheek. I think you're right about the newcomers leaving a big impression on the state. I also think that Texas has ALWAYS had a more independent vibe than many other states and this comes across on a very personal level as well as in the big picture.
Newcomers might make a state more distinctive. Say if people who find the image of Texas appealing move there, it's possible some of the newcomers could out Texan the locals. I think that's happening a bit in the Pacific Northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 11:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

Quote:
I'm curious what some of the differences are.
'

Well, there's always going to be friction when a Canadian company buys a Texas company and then starts replacing Texans with Canadians (technically they're not supposed to do that but who's really watching?). Recently a Canadian company bought a fracking company here and replaced the red trucks that had a Statue of Liberty on the side, with MAUVE trucks with a maple leaf. Yes, pink fracking equipment. It struck, shall we say, a discordant note.

Quote:
Newcomers might make a state more distinctive. Say if people who find the image of Texas appealing move there, it's possible some of the newcomers could out Texan the locals. I think that's happening a bit in the Pacific Northwest.
Yes, I can see that could happen, especially in metro areas. Often the first thing people do when they move here - even to a big city - is buy some cowboy boots, and a hat, and a truck! And that's OK.

Lyle Lovett - That's Right (You're Not From Texas) - YouTube

Old 11-13-2013, 12:22 PM

13 posts, read 9,419 times
Alabama

Old 11-13-2013, 02:10 PM

581 posts, read 968,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Probably Texas. In no other state have I seen the state flag displayed at so many private homes and on people's clothing, and many businesses include the Texan flag in addition to the American flag, and basically everyone I've met from Texas has been very proud of it, while I've met people from California who really dislike it. Oh yes and many people move out of California, but very few Texans leave Texas, in fact many people are moving TO the Lone Star state.
I agree with Texas as the state with the most state pride, but as far as the flag flying goes Maryland is up there with Texas. You can't seem to go one mile, even in a rural area, without seeing a state and a county flag, and there's usually more than that. That's another thing: MD has very high "county pride".

Old 11-13-2013, 02:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
I agree with Texas as the state with the most state pride, but as far as the flag flying goes Maryland is up there with Texas. You can't seem to go one mile, even in a rural area, without seeing a state and a county flag, and there's usually more than that. That's another thing: MD has very high "county pride".
Well, in their defense, Maryland has a really, really cool looking flag.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:12 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
As a native Marylander I couldn't agree more. Although, I don't know why there is so much county pride when everyone knows Anne Arundel is the best county in the state.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Let's see, now, let's see if we remember all seven of them:

Lust
Gluttony
Greed
Sloth
Anger
Envy
Pride

Old 11-13-2013, 06:42 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,461 times
Texas for sure. Michiganians have pride in the state being a mini USA. It has an East Coast and West Coast along with a north coast and is insular and feels like its own country. If you don't believe me about Michigan pride, watch this statewide singalong.

Pure Michigan Statewide Singalong - YouTube

Old 11-13-2013, 10:10 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
State with the most pride = Texas for the reasons mentioned throughout the thread. Never seen so many state flags flying in other states as I have in Texas for one. I've also had innumerable Texans tell me that it was an independent nation at one point, etc. etc. That's all fine and dandy, but at this stage, who really gives a ****? Not me, sorry. And I don't even mean that with malice, it's just that in this day and age and especially to me (a non-Texan), it's about as relevant as you telling me that you ate an apple today. I just don't care. Would I personally want to live there? No, you couldn't pay me to. However, that's just my personal preference. With all that being said, I've never had a bad experience in TX. I think that the state does have an amazing history to it for being a US state, and I think it's a perfectly nice state too (with some great food as well!).

As for some of the other ones mentioned in the thread:

California residents are proud for sure, but it's not on the same level as Texas. The thing about CA is that it's so famous and renowned the world over. It is THE most iconic state in the US, by far. Hollywood has obviously played a massive role in shaping people's perception of California both in the US, and around the world. I've lived in 6 countries on 3 continents and while NYC is the most popular and iconic city in the US, CA is undoubtedly the most iconic state to foreigners. The imagery of the state (laid back lifestyle, surfers, the perfect climate, the diversity, the breathtaking natural beauty, the sun, the palm trees, the technology in Silicon Valley, Hollywood, Disneyland, the OC, Big Sur, Napa, SF, Golden Gate Bridge, Stanford, Berkeley, the music scene, the celebrities, the beach, the ocean, etc. etc.) plays a massive role in pop culture around the world.

As for NY, I personally agree with previous posters who say that the pride coming from NY is mainly coming from NYC. People from the city are very proud of their city (as they should be) and are not afraid to tell you that. The pride at a state level is severely lagging here, imo. It's all about the city in NY, to the annoyance of people in upstate

^An add-on to that, I think Boston and MA has a similar situation to the NY/NYC one too.

As for NJ, here I too agree with another previous poster in saying that I think the reason that NJ people might come across as being so proud of their state is because they probably receive a lot of crap about it from people in other states. Being told that you're the "armpit" of America can't be much fun (in addition to the Jersey Shore crap too), especially when there are some parts of NJ that are simply gorgeous (not to mention rich $$$). Personally, I love Princeton the most. The university is, obviously, among the best in the world hands down, and the town is insanely charming.

In response to some of the other things said in the thread, it's true that the "red states" are the biggest "welfare states" in the country and are, in general, subsidized by the wealthier "blue states". The "red states" generally take more in federal funding than they give in federal taxes.
Rep points for you, my friend.

We're second wealthiest by median household income, behind Maryland, despite what anyone may say in response I stick with the idea that people may be jealous of New Jersey. Before people laugh, because I know you will, I'm used to this, here's why: it's very wealthy, has very nice areas, a nice and well known (for the right reasons, believe me) coast, is sandwiched between two major US cities, one of which is arguably the best city in America, is diverse in many ways - people and nature included, it has overall great schools (NJ is always up there in education) including Princeton U, and a very well educated population, many of which are scientists and NJ is known for pharmaceutical production and based corporations. This doesn't go for everyone and I'm not trying to say everyone everywhere is jealous of New Jersey, believe me we're not that vain, but for some of those who love to make fun of it endlessly, it may be true. In New Jersey we're just so sick of having to defend our state. People make fun of us like it's funny and like it's okay to do - just know we're used to it. We get it all the time and it's not funny, it's tiresome. Would you like it? No, so why say it? Learn about NJ before you openly bash it because the majority of people are grossly uniformed. You just look like a complete idiot otherwise… end rant.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 11-13-2013 at 10:21 PM..

Old 11-13-2013, 10:28 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, in their defense, Maryland has a really, really cool looking flag.
Maryland's flag looks like it belongs either at a medieval theme park or a Nascar race track, I can't tell which.

Call me bias but I love the NM state flag. The Zia sign has symbolic meaning.

not my photo - http://media.photobucket.com/user/er...f.html?filters[term]=new mexico flag&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.