Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 01:24 PM

10,116 posts, read 15,787,106 times

Advertisements

It seems in the popular imagination the South always comes across as blue collar and working class while I think the opposite is true. Here's how I see it. in general, rural areas tend to be working class, while urban areas can be either white collar OR blue collar or a mix.

In both the south and north, the majority of people live in urban and suburban areas. I'd say that rural Georgia is just as working class as rural Pennsylvania or rural Vermont. BUT in terms of cities, the majority of cities in the South like CHarlotte, Raleigh, Charleston SC, Atlanta, Tampa, Houston, and Dallas have a very white collar reputation. Memphis and Nashville are mixed, while New Orleans has a blue collar reputation. However the Northeast and Upper Midwest are filled with working class, blue collar cities like Philadelphia, Newark, Detroit, Pittsburgh, most of upstate New York, most of Pennsylvania like Altoona, Johnstown, etc plus Cleveland too. New York City, Chicago, and Boston are mixed, while only Washington DC is a primarily white collar area, though even it has its ghetto element.

So overall I think its the South that is more white collar than the north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 01:37 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,518,874 times
No way Jose. Also, Dallas and Houston ain't the south.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:37 PM

92,097 posts, read 122,294,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
It seems in the popular imagination the South always comes across as blue collar and working class while I think the opposite is true. Here's how I see it. in general, rural areas tend to be working class, while urban areas can be either white collar OR blue collar or a mix.

In both the south and north, the majority of people live in urban and suburban areas. I'd say that rural Georgia is just as working class as rural Pennsylvania or rural Vermont. BUT in terms of cities, the majority of cities in the South like CHarlotte, Raleigh, Charleston SC, Atlanta, Tampa, Houston, and Dallas have a very white collar reputation. Memphis and Nashville are mixed, while New Orleans has a blue collar reputation. However the Northeast and Upper Midwest are filled with working class, blue collar cities like Philadelphia, Newark, Detroit, Pittsburgh, most of upstate New York, most of Pennsylvania like Altoona, Johnstown, etc plus Cleveland too. New York City, Chicago, and Boston are mixed, while only Washington DC is a primarily white collar area, though even it has its ghetto element.

So overall I think its the South that is more white collar than the north.
No.......Many of those Southern cities and the Northern cities you mention as blue collar are mixed. You can find quite a few middle to upper middle class small towns in the North as well. Sections of the South are some of the poorest economically in the US as well.

You have this too: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...reas.html?_r=0

Old 11-11-2013, 01:46 PM

14,361 posts, read 16,879,345 times

Edit: To be clear, college graduation is pretty much used as a stand-in for blue collar/white collar these days. Adults in the south tend to have lower levels of education than in the Northeast, and even to a lesser extent the Midwest and West. Hence the more "blue-collar" reputation is somewhat defensible.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:08 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,405,983 times
Quote:
It seems in the popular imagination the South always comes across as blue collar and working class while I think the opposite is true.
That's not what the official data would indicate. The South is the poorest and least educated part of the U.S.

Texas usually isn't grouped in with the South, BTW. Most of it would be more West, or at least Great Plains, if anything.

Also, your impressions of the North seem to be strange. You consider Boston and NYC to be heavily blue collar, but Southern cities white collar? Huh? I think you're watching too many South Boston Irish mobster movies or something.

Newark, for instance, assuming you mean the area around Newark, is probably wealthier than any similarly sized area in the South. Northern NJ is the richest part of the second richest station in the nation, and the epicenter of NJ wealth is around Essex and Bergen counties. The city of Newark may not be rich, but it's a relatively tiny proportion of the overall area. The fanciest mall in the U.S. is just outside of Newark (Short Hills), as are some of the richest NYC-area suburbs.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:46 PM

10,116 posts, read 15,787,106 times
Boston comes across to me as a mixed city, with the elite Ivy League colleges and New England old money fixed in with places like Southie and Charlestown and Dorchester.

Charlotte, Raleigh (part of the Research Triangle), and Atlanta are very white collar cities with a lot of new wealth that's been generated in the past few decades while many parts of the north are losing population and jobs. I personally consider New Jersey overall to be a very rough state with places like Camden, Newark, Trenton, Asbury Park and Atlantic City (which is very bad outside the Boardwalk area). Atlanta and Charlotte are known for banking and multiple companies based there while Pittsburgh is known for steel factories. Baltimore is in the middle but if you consider it north its also a very blue collar area. I used to live in that area and it is not as wealthy or upscale as most North Carolina cities. The average income in the South might be lower but the cost of living is also lower so the standard of living is the same or higher.

There are people who really swear that small towns in New England and even Minnesota are somehow classier than small towns in West Virginia and Tennessee.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:23 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,405,983 times
Quote:
Boston comes across to me as a mixed city, with the elite Ivy League colleges and New England old money fixed in with places like Southie and Charlestown and Dorchester.

Charlotte, Raleigh (part of the Research Triangle), and Atlanta are very white collar cities with a lot of new wealth that's been generated in the past few decades while many parts of the north are losing population and jobs. I personally consider New Jersey overall to be a very rough state with places like Camden, Newark, Trenton, Asbury Park and Atlantic City (which is very bad outside the Boardwalk area).
No offense, but I think you have no idea what you're talking about.

NJ is the second wealthiest state in the U.S. It's much, much wealthier than anywhere in the South. The five cities you mentioned aren't even 5% of the state.

"Pittsburgh is known for steel factories". Huh? It isn't 1950 anymore. There are no steel mills in Pittsburgh.

And excepting DC and maybe the Bay Area, Boston is extremely white collar, and not at all a "mixed city". Boston is much more white collar than the Atlanta area, with higher incomes, lower unemployment, lower poverty, etc.

"The cost of living is lower" has nothing to do with whether an area is more white collar. The cost of living is lower when there is less demand, or less developed economies, with a greater degree of labor exploitation. No one would say that Mexico is richer than the U.S. because you have lower labor costs, so some stuff is cheaper.

And West Virginia and Tennesse are in fact poorer than Minnesota and Massachusetts. Some of the poorest counties in the Eastern US are in those states (esp. W. Virginia).

Old 11-11-2013, 11:59 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,539,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
No offense, but I think you have no idea what you're talking about.

NJ is the second wealthiest state in the U.S. It's much, much wealthier than anywhere in the South. The five cities you mentioned aren't even 5% of the state.

"Pittsburgh is known for steel factories". Huh? It isn't 1950 anymore. There are no steel mills in Pittsburgh.

And excepting DC and maybe the Bay Area, Boston is extremely white collar, and not at all a "mixed city". Boston is much more white collar than the Atlanta area, with higher incomes, lower unemployment, lower poverty, etc.

"The cost of living is lower" has nothing to do with whether an area is more white collar. The cost of living is lower when there is less demand, or less developed economies, with a greater degree of labor exploitation. No one would say that Mexico is richer than the U.S. because you have lower labor costs, so some stuff is cheaper.

And West Virginia and Tennesse are in fact poorer than Minnesota and Massachusetts. Some of the poorest counties in the Eastern US are in those states (esp. W. Virginia).
Seriously; thinking Mr. Lennox hasn't spent much time north of the Mason Dixon line.

Ironically enough; the areas of the south that he mentions that are "white collar"....are pretty much all cities where there is a heavy presence of northerners.

Cary, NC may be more white collar than Camden, NJ....but that doesn't mean that the south is more white collar than the northeast.....not by a longshot.

Last edited by just_sayin'; 11-12-2013 at 12:09 AM..

Old 11-12-2013, 01:38 AM

37,796 posts, read 41,526,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Texas usually isn't grouped in with the South, BTW. Most of it would be more West, or at least Great Plains, if anything.
Incorrect. Texas is most certainly grouped with the South more than with any other region, and rightfully so since it is a Southern state.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:42 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,518,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Incorrect. Texas is most certainly grouped with the South more than with any other region, and rightfully so since it is a Southern state.
I'd have to disagree. Texas is definitely more western than southern. I wouldn't ever consider it southern. Born and raised in the true south BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.