Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 06:21 PM

60 posts, read 113,843 times

Advertisements

It could just be a personal opinion but from my experience it seems that Maryland looks down on it's neighbor to the south Virginia, and i just want to know why??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 06:45 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
It's one of those Washington, D.C. area rivalries. But I sense that it may have been stronger in the past.

Actually, it's mainly the other way around - northern Virginians who look down on Marylanders because northern Virginia is the richer of the 2 at this point.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:42 PM

60 posts, read 113,843 times
Thats very interesting never looked at it from that prespective, in the D.C. area in the past it almost seemed cool if you were from D.C. or Maryland but it was almost frowned upon to be from Virginia.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:44 PM

797 posts, read 1,430,087 times
I believe it's a cultural thing, VA gets looked at a certain way for obtaining alot more of it's southern culture unlike Maryland.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:33 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllEars85 View Post
Thats very interesting never looked at it from that prespective, in the D.C. area in the past it almost seemed cool if you were from D.C. or Maryland but it was almost frowned upon to be from Virginia.
Not anymore. It's more complicated than that now. This is what I have tended to observe:

- Northern Virginia views (central) Maryland as its lesser regional economic rival.

- Northern Virginia thinks it's the "real" Virginia and does not like to associate itself culturally or politically with the rest of Virginia.

- The rest of Virginia views northern Virginia as an elitist, liberal cesspool but it's very jealous of it at the same time.

- The rest of Virginia views Maryland as being so liberal that it might as well be from another planet.

- Maryland views northern Virginia as a nice place to live but too expensive.

- Maryland views the rest of Virginia as too conservative and socially backwards, but scenically beautiful nonetheless.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 11-13-2013 at 07:41 AM..

Old 11-13-2013, 07:46 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Having moved to the area from Kansas City where the friction between KS and MO is off the charts, I really don't see much of a rivalry here at all. I work around people from VA and MD and really have seen nothing resembling what I was used to in KC. There is generally respect for the other state from one another. Both states have their flaky areas, affluent areas etc.

Personally, I find NOVA to be a bit too sprawly. Other than some of the suburbs near DC inside the beltway, most of NOVA reminds me of the large suburbs in midwest, west and south. Big freeways, big office parks, big malls and lots of traffic.

Maryland burbs seem a bit more diverse and interesting. There seems to be more green space, more parks and recreation and it's nice to be closer to Annapolis, Bay Bridge, Baltimore etc. NOVA has far more jobs though.

I think both are nice and you can find what you want in both states around DC though. It's just nice to see that for the most part, they get along and there is a level of regional respect that I'm not used to in a bistate area. Things are not perfect, but trust me, they could be much worse.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:12 PM

581 posts, read 968,994 times
I really haven't noticed much of a rivalry. Marylanders and Virginians seem to identify with each other for the most part.
PA, WV, and DE are much more likely to be looked down upon.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:25 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
Funny, I've never seen that. Years ago I grew up in MD in PG county and thought of VA as the other version of MD but across the Potomac. VA shares the Chesapeake and the bay culture. The eastern shore, where I live now, is shared as well. I really don't see a difference in the 2 states at all. I guess the exception would be southwest VA which seems different then western MD.

I don't or have never met anyone from either state that looks down on the other. Perhaps there are people in MOCO in MD or NOVA in VA that think that way but in reality those places to me are different parts of these respected states and have more people who I would call the snooty type who would look down on others.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:20 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,531 times
I have not notice Maryland looking down on Virginia. The only issue I have with Virginia is with their Department of Transportation and their terrible road signage.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:34 AM

30 posts, read 29,112 times
Baltimore is a dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.