Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:28 PM

10,742 posts, read 23,795,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Might add St. Louis as an "old" city despite the very impressive waterfront there. But once you get past the downtown waterfront the city is pretty gritty.
If St. Louis were gentrified the same way Boston and San Francisco were, it would be one of America's most charming and architecturally attractive cities for sure. It has a large stock of beautiful 19th century infrastructure, it's a crime to see so much of it wallowing in ruins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 08:32 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,362,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
Yet another "I think the northeast sucks and the south is the premier region of the US" thread huh Tommy?
This.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:33 PM

10,204 posts, read 15,907,585 times
I do like St. Louis more than Philly and most New Jersey cities. The downtown and waterfront is very impressive and I enjoyed visiting St. Louis on my cross country road trip. Kansas City does feel a lot newer than St. Louis overall but KC is still not super new the way Denver is.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:37 PM

404 posts, read 904,233 times
Obvious troll is obvious.

Boston and Philly not historic?

Old 11-12-2013, 08:38 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about. I doubt you have ever even stepped foot in the places you are bashing.

Again, nobody said the southern cities didn't have historic charm; but to say that northern cities don't shows that you are making completely baseless claims off of some un-warranted disdain for a region it is very clear you have spent little to no time in. Take a walk through downtown Boston, walk the freedom trail. Stroll through center-city Philadelphia, or Albany, Buffalo, or Rochester NY...historic neighborhoods that housed some of the leaders in the abolitionist and suffragist movements .....open your eyes a little and see past your bias and I think you'll be able to find charm outside the box of the ante-bellum south being the only form of "historical charm"
So, I'm not the only that noticed this. There are plenty of historic neighborhoods in those cities he mentioned. Here one here in Syracuse: Hanover Square, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-12-2013, 08:38 PM

404 posts, read 904,233 times
DC is pretty historic as well, maybe not charming but definitely historic

Old 11-12-2013, 08:40 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Savannah has the largest historic district in the United States .
This is quite obviously wrong. There are something like a half million people in NYC alone living in historic districts, including some districts with a population comparable to the entirety of Savannah proper.

Savannah and Charleston have small historic cores compared to pretty much any major city in the Northeast. New Orleans is somewhat bigger, but still small compared to a city like Boston and Philly (and please don't compare to NYC).

Old 11-12-2013, 08:47 PM

10,742 posts, read 23,795,420 times
Well the thread topic is based completely on subjective opinion, but I think this area in Chelsea, MA
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Chels...216.05,,0,6.92
is probably what the OP means, Old but not particularly attractive.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:57 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Well the thread topic is based completely on subjective opinion, but I think this area in Chelsea, MA
I don't think that looks particularly unattractive. Looks pretty decent to me. The architecture looks more solid than probably anywhere in the South. If it were in Brooklyn there would probably be hipsters everywhere and cute boutiques.

And you can't compare a few touristy blocks in downtown Savannah to some random working class suburb of Boston. Compare working class parts of Savannah, which are filled with shotgun shacks and the like.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:01 PM

10,204 posts, read 15,907,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Yes this is exactly what I mean! And even those pics in Syracuse mostly just seem "old". Honestly that does not have the kind of historic charm you find in South Carolina and Georgia. The street view in Chelsea MA is extremely depressing to me. And the thing is for whatever it costs to live in that neighborhood, you can probably live in a brand new townhouse subdivision in North Carolina, and a nice single family home with your own land in West Virginia.

A lot of Baltimore looks like this Chelsea picture except its not as well maintained. While the Chelsea street isn't particularly charming it does not feel run down or slummy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.