U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-04-2007, 12:21 PM

3 posts, read 6,241 times
I would stay away from Kansas City... KCMO or KCKS... and the surrounding burbs

It is very cold there... and is very boring as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 09:14 AM

3 posts, read 5,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo224 View Post
I'm searching for a warm, safe, nice place to live with a low cost-of-living. My wife, 12 year old daughter (at the time) will be relocating in about five years and need to get out of the ever-rising cost of living in NJ. Please help!!
I am looking for very similar information, although my children are grown and have their own children. I currently live in MO and want to relocate somewhere that does not have cold weather at all if possible. The winters in MO are bone chilling, I moved here from ME due to the strong union presence in this state. I had to retire much earlier than expected due to an injury and need to find a warm climate year round for the sake of my back. I found a link that has been quite helpful in research I will attach it for you. Find the Best Place to Live I wish us both the best of luck, I want to be moved before cold weather returns this year.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:38 PM

38,741 posts, read 36,383,228 times
There are very few places where it never snows. You can increase your possibilities at least ten-fold if you can tolerate one or two of light snowfalls a year. Even Dallas and Atlanta get snow almost every year.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,902 times
i recently moved from olive branch, ms and i absolutely loved it (i am actually currently looking for someplace similar). it's a small city (pop appx 25,000) but it lies on the tn/ms border and is a suburb of memphis so you get the best of both worlds. . .one of my favorite things about its location. although many ppl fear the crime from memphis trickling down into that area, it was never an issue while i lived there. i could go outside at nighttime w/out feeling endangered, and my mom never had an issue w/my siblings and i playing outside unsupervised. the weather is great, however we usually get snow about once a year (usually in january) and coming from someone who hates the cold, the winters are tolerable. the desoto county school district is great, ranked #1 in the state w/olive branch h.s. and desoto central h.s. in the lead. after graduating, however, i found that the schools are deprived of other advantages common in high schools in other areas (less variety in sports, fewer advanced placement/honors classes, etc) but they still provide ample opportunities for any student who is determined to succeed, especially considering the fact that they're public schools (private schools are also available and nearby). the cost of living is not as low as in other parts of the state, but in general it's proportionate w/the average salary (appx $68,000). as far as having your own business: again, its double location as a small town outskirting a large city is advantageous b/c o.b. residents generally favor supporting local businesses as opposed to large franchises, especially in regards to personal & financial services. on the flip side, however, you have the relatively large population of memphis that you could choose to cater to instead/as well. i hope this helped, and good luck!

Old 07-14-2009, 04:52 PM

I guess I can tolerate a few days of snow. I actually found a location that sounds perfect in GA, it is called Peach Tree City and it looks perfect for me. Just found it today and after minimal reading I am wanting to research further. I am moving out of my apt on Aug 9, 2009. My daughter and grand daughters want me to stay with them for a little while before I leave MO. I appreciate the info and a smack back to reality that I will have to handle a little cold with the warm. Just as long as it is brief, to avoid hibernating winters I will be happy. GOD Bless!

Old 07-15-2009, 03:37 PM

I have found my destination, Peachtree City, GA. It appears to be everything I am hoping for. I am currently packing will have my belongings in storage by 8/10/09. Have found the moving company and am ironing out rental property before I leave. Having my vehicle shipped and will fly to Atlanta. Sticking around MO for a few months to spend some fun time with my children and grand children going to water slides, Six Flags anything fun I can think of and my body can with stand. After that I can rest when I get to GA. Thank you again for the input.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:30 PM

129 posts, read 144,554 times
Brownsville, Texas.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:39 PM

706 posts, read 583,126 times
I second a previous poster's recommendation of Houston. You could try Sugar Land, Missouri City, Clear Lake, Katy (suburbs of Houston).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.