U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2016, 08:49 AM

17 posts, read 22,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blainnyc View Post
Living in Wisconsin I'd probably say this is the tallest state. No noticeable difference in height between here and Minnesota really. One of my Minnesota friends is 6'1'' and actually says he was usually in the top 1/4 of his classmates in height but in Madison he feels about average. I'd say the average White male here is around 6'0''-6'1'', but there is a wide range of height. Around 15% of men are 6'4''+.

I'm quite amazed every time I travel to Chicago's North side. Average height is probably 2-3 inches shorter than here, and so few people over 6'2''. My 5'9'' friend goes from being taller than 15% of people to almost average height.

It's not even necessarily a Germanic/Nordic thing. I've been to heavily Norwegian parts of the state and the people are no taller than anywhere else. Even people who claim to be mostly Irish or Eastern European seem to be taller than Northeast folk of the same background. There's a family I know where all the males are 6'5+ and they're English/Irish.
I dont understand what does top 1/4 mean, sorry im weak in maths lol.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 10:43 AM

133 posts, read 94,114 times
some of the dumpiest has to be around Anniston AL

Old 10-02-2016, 12:20 PM

3,720 posts, read 1,875,582 times
White Population- Scandivinavians and Dutch descent
Black Population- African Americans and Somali and some Ethiopian/Eritrean Americans
Asian Population- Koreans, Northern Chinese and Japanese descent
Any state with high percentages of this populations IMO should be pretty tall. have yet to see a Somalian/Ethiopian man or person under 6 feet tall, unless it is a kid and even then their tall compared to their peers. AA's are by far the tallest black ethnicity.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Black Population- African Americans and Somali and some Ethiopian/Eritrean Americans
Any state with high percentages of this populations IMO should be pretty tall. have yet to see a Somalian/Ethiopian man or person under 6 feet tall, unless it is a kid and even then their tall compared to their peers. AA's are by far the tallest black ethnicity.
Actually white population: northern, central europe and former Yugoslavia.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:19 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,921,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
For the white population I would say Eastern Europeans (Estonian, Polish, Ukraininan) take the cake for the tallest. We just don't hear about them in the media much, because their countries are poor and there aren't many of them in the US. Except for the Chicago area (Polish), but so many of them have intermarried with other ethnic groups and became shorter.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:36 AM

260 posts, read 339,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
For the white population I would say Eastern Europeans (Estonian, Polish, Ukraininan) take the cake for the tallest. We just don't hear about them in the media much, because their countries are poor and there aren't many of them in the US. Except for the Chicago area (Polish), but so many of them have intermarried with other ethnic groups and became shorter.
Yugoslavs and Baltic folk are quite tall, but I wouldn't say Poles or Russians/Ukrainians are that tall on average. Most Eastern Europeans in New York or Chicago aren't too tall compared to Germans/Scandinavians in the Upper Midwest. My parents are from Russia and Ukraine and I grew up in a Russian-speaking neighborhood in New York and I was still surprised by the height difference when I moved to Wisconsin.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:42 AM

3,720 posts, read 1,875,582 times
I did no a guy from Serbia who he and his family were huge, all above 6'1 but I wasn't sure if it was the norm.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:49 AM

12,722 posts, read 12,485,422 times

Old 10-03-2016, 06:27 PM

According to study done by Pavel Grasguber from faculty of sports studies Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic, average height of bosnian males between ages of 20-25 is 182.2cm.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:00 AM

260 posts, read 339,905 times
The map seems about right, only surprises being Irish and Polish. Most Irish and Polish in Chicago or New York are not too tall, especially compared to the Germans/Scandinavians of Wisconsin and Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or