Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 02:19 PM

17 posts, read 42,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blainnyc View Post
Yes, I measure myself barefoot. If I measure myself out of bed I'm well over 6'1''. With shoes I measure usually around 6'2.5'' (I have very very short hair).

In my male acquaintance circle of about 15 people, only 3 are under 6 feet, the shortest being 5'9''. There's 3 people in my group who stand over 6'5''(6'6'', 6'7'', and 6'9''). The rest are pretty much between 6'1'' and 6'3''.

From going to concerts and walking around, I'd say the average height here is at least 6 feet among White males. When I first moved here from New York I attended a small concert and was shocked at how tall everyone was. I felt below average in height, and I noticed maybe a couple of people in the
crowd who stood under 6 feet.
Walking around on a general day I'd say the average person is around my height. Northern and Western Wisconsin are especially tall, while Milwaukee seems pretty normal in height due to less Scandinavians and Germans.

Walking around department stores in rural Wisconsin and Iowa makes me feel short at times. I will see entire groups of people who are taller than me.
Variety of heights indeed is strong i see just like in my place, i wonder it happens, some people dont live as healthy life as others, i know genetics are key but so is nutrition. Usually in my place there's social inequality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 02:24 PM

18 posts, read 24,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescarletspeedster View Post
I've lived in Hawai'i for a long time and I can attest to the fact that Native Hawaiians are actually huge. They're not only tall but also have large frames to begin with. King Kamehameha I, for example, was over 7 feet tall. Some evidence for that is that his spear was huge and his cape was long. The cape is important because native Hawaiian chiefs didn't let their cape touch the ground. Native Hawaiians are different from Samoans, who are different from Tongans. But all three are huge in stature. The most commonplace example is Dwayne Johnson; he's 6'4". Even if he didn't bulk up he'd still be that height because of his genes. Plus, take a look at all the popular Samoan entertainment wrestlers; out of Dwayne Johnson, Roman Rains, Umaga, Samoa Joe and Rikishi, the shortest one is Rikishi at 6'1" (which may be the shortest of them but is not short).

The reason Hawai'i has the shortest people is because those people are Asians (Japanese, Chinese (not every Chinese person because Chinese people are actually getting taller now), Vietnamese, and Filipino. And no, not South Koreans; South Koreans are tall compared to the rest of the Asian continent).

No, South Koreans are midget. And you said Chinese are actually getting taller now, but you should know every country are getting taller now, not only chinese.

According to the newest, Koreans' stats, their new generation are only average 173.5 cm. I don't think 173.5 can be called tall for youths, because a lot of Western countries have 5'11 plus average height for their younger generation.

And Chinese have 1.5 billion population, it is not hard to meet several tall chinese based on normal distrubiton, even though the average height of young chinese is still short.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isko96 View Post
In Norway it depends on region, in Finnmark region located in north part, avg is 5'9.5'' compared to southern 5'11.5''. I think same situation is with Sweden too. In Germany, Bavaria for example is like Austria 5'10.5'', when i was in Austria i was one of the taller dudes, most of people were 5'9'' to 6'. In Finland, where Helsinki is its 5'11'', but rest of country is 5'10''. In Italy, north has avg like Austria i think like 5'10.5'' compared to south where its 5'8.5'' (estimates). Now with former Yugoslavia, in Croatia its usually measured to be 5'11'', but only 18 year olds were measured, i think if they measure 20-25 year olds it would be 6'+. In Dalmatia considering its coastal part of dinaric alps, i read somewhere that avg is 183.8cm. In Montenegro, which is majority of dinaric alps avg is 183.5cm slightly less than NL. Now Bosnia isnt as tall on avg as Herzegovina, because Herzegovina is dinaric dominated and only half of Bosnia is covered with dinaric mountains too avg is measured 185.4cm in 2005 in 17 year olds, Bosnia i believe is few cm's lower, where i live its maybe 5'11' among 19-30 year olds because i see wide range of heights every day, somewhere there's a dude who is 5'10'' and then i see a dude who is 6'4''.

Actually, 18 year old high schoolers are usually the tallest age group. I travlled many place and realized students at schools/collges are much taller than off campus. I don't know what happened.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:43 PM

I dont why a lot of people boast Korean and Northern Chinese height, they maybe the tallest aisans, but are midget in front of Some regions in Western Countries. According to Korean's own stats, their average height of young male is only 173.5 cm, which is very short compare to many country. And based on stats there is only 0.2-0.3% young Korean guys are over 190 cm. In U.S., young White male must have around 5% would be over 190 cm. Northern Chinese are similar tall as Korean, maybe a little bit of taller. I heard of some invalid data shows the tallest provice and region in North China can reach 177 cm for young male, but I checked it out , they only measured 100-200 guys to get that stats, based on Chinese population( 1.5 B), that stats are not acceptable. If I measured 100 male students in the tallest region in U.S., I can be sure that I will get the average height would be over 188 cm, even 190 cm plus can be possible.

Even though, the tallest province in China can be 177+, they are still shorter than Most Western Countries and other regions. The newest average hegiht of young Italian was 177.8, and it means whole country, the tallest region in Italy must be taller than the tallest region in China, which means those northern chinese are still short in front of Northern Italians.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:45 PM

Do not see some tall northern chinese or korean , and you guys think they are quite tall. Korea has 50 M population, in Europe, Korea would be a big country, but in Asia, it is tiny one. With those population, it is not special to see they can produce some tall people. But Western Countries have more taller than northern chinese or southern koreans.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isko96 View Post
I dont understand what does top 1/4 mean, sorry im weak in maths lol.
1/4 means 25%, which means 25% of his classmates are 6'1 plus.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Living in Wisconsin I'd probably say this is the tallest state. No noticeable difference in height between here and Minnesota really. One of my Minnesota friends is 6'1'' and actually says he was usually in the top 1/4 of his classmates in height but in Madison he feels about average. I'd say the average White male here is around 6'0''-6'1'', but there is a wide range of height. Around 15% of men are 6'4''+.

I'm quite amazed every time I travel to Chicago's North side. Average height is probably 2-3 inches shorter than here, and so few people over 6'2''. My 5'9'' friend goes from being taller than 15% of people to almost average height.

It's not even necessarily a Germanic/Nordic thing. I've been to heavily Norwegian parts of the state and the people are no taller than anywhere else. Even people who claim to be mostly Irish or Eastern European seem to be taller than Northeast folk of the same background. There's a family I know where all the males are 6'5+ and they're English/Irish.

15% of men are 6'4+ is very high percentage. High schools/colleges have higher

Old 08-03-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
That post was definitely an exaggeration. I live in Wisconsin and travel to Minnesota frequently and I'd say around a quarter of people are 5'10'' or shorter. I can't imagine someone 5'11' being considered super short.
Because people can relocate very easy nowadays. We don't live in Dark age, people were hard to move different places. Now, it is a world village. People come and go every day. It is not possible to tell if it he or she is a local person when you walk down street. Every city is similar height if we notice the whole place(especially local city . However, the only difference depends on local high schools/colleges/local clubs/bars. Most high schoolers and students are in state at least.

Walking down street in main cities may not be different between the Netherlands and Spain. But if we measure local high schoolers, the Dutch students are much taller than the Italian ones.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:52 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,820,739 times
With Wisconsin being mentioned often as the tallest or one of the tallest states it makes me thankful I don't live there anymore (and haven't in 40+ years). As a short guy I would feel like a midget there.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:55 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,375,514 times
well im 6'5 or 6'6 and i live in Texas and i am German,Dutch,Scandinavian so i got some tall genes in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.