U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 12:37 PM

403 posts, read 477,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Are you kidding me? California has some of the tallest men I have ever seen. At least in SoCal.
I've been up north, and most were under 5'9". How south were you if you don't mind me asking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 01:10 PM

8,931 posts, read 12,078,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
Tallest:
1. North Dakota
2. Washington
3. Iowa
4. Minnesota (I'm sorry, but there aren't many tall individuals out of the twin cities from what I've noticed. I tower over most individuals when out of them).
5. Georgia.

Shortest:
1. California (a 5'10" guy alone would feel real tall there).
2. New York (although I have walked by a few taller individuals in New York City, but that's because you're bound to in the densest city when it has nearly 9 million people or 12 million counting tourists)
3. Hawaii
4. Texas
5. Florida (I rarely come across people who are even 5'11" there)
6. New Mexico
7. Arizona (how come nobody has mentioned this one? Most are short, but they tend to be very muscular from what I've noticed)
8. Oregon (I've rarely noticed tall individuals there, and I tower over my friends who were born there and live there).
9. Missouri (I live there and I tower over nearly everybody at about 6'2")
10. Louisiana (it ties with Alabama)
From my time living in Texas and Georgia, I'd say that most Blacks, on average, appeared to be much shorter in the latter. I feel shorter here in Houston than I remember feeling in Atlanta. I wouldn't doubt that Dallas probably has some of the tallest averages among black men.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
From my time living in Texas and Georgia, I'd say that most non-Hispanics, on average, appeared to be much shorter in the latter. I feel shorter here in Houston than I remember feeling in Atlanta.
Atlanta by itself didn't seem tall to me like other regions of Georgia did, and yeah, Houston might be tall. I felt just 'tall' in Houston, but almost like a giant in other parts of Texas.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:18 PM

8,931 posts, read 12,078,286 times
Quote:
Atlanta by itself didn't seem tall to me like other regions of Georgia did, and yeah, Houston might be tall. I felt just 'tall' in Houston, but almost like a giant in other parts of Texas.
Well, I edited my post where I mentioned non-Hispanics. When I thought it about, there wasn't a noticeable difference with whites or Asian, but certainly with blacks.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:01 PM

11,155 posts, read 14,519,116 times
Quote:
I've been up north, and most were under 5'9". How south were you if you don't mind me asking?
I was in the general San Diego area. I mean...it's not THAT big of an area.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I was in the general San Diego area. I mean...it's not THAT big of an area.
Okay, yeah, I haven't been there so no comment (I've skimmed through posts on older threads and some others imply that San Diego is a taller city as well). However, in the parts that I've been to (like Los Angeles-Orange County, Fresno, the Ventura and the Bay Area to Sacramento, also Mount Shasta) I could often by walk by many people and be by far the tallest out of everybody at 6'2" with 6'3-6'4" being a complete standout no matter where one is. Despite that, it feels like I've been unfortunate with running into guys who are like 6'3 in some places.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:43 AM

358 posts, read 633,556 times
Quote:
Tallest:
1. North Dakota
2. Washington
3. Iowa
4. Minnesota (I'm sorry, but there aren't many tall individuals out of the twin cities from what I've noticed. I tower over most individuals when out of them).
5. Georgia.

Shortest:
1. California (a 5'10" guy alone would feel real tall there).
2. New York (although I have walked by a few taller individuals in New York City, but that's because you're bound to in the densest city when it has nearly 9 million people or 12 million counting tourists)
3. Hawaii
4. Texas
5. Florida (I rarely come across people who are even 5'11" there)
6. New Mexico
7. Arizona (how come nobody has mentioned this one? Most are short, but they tend to be very muscular from what I've noticed)
8. Oregon (I've rarely noticed tall individuals there, and I tower over my friends who were born there and live there).
9. Missouri (I live there and I tower over nearly everybody at about 6'2")
10. Louisiana (it ties with Alabama)
How is it that Oregon is among the states with the smallest people while its neighbor Washington is a state with one of the tallest people ?

they demography is practically the same

Old 04-18-2014, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
How is it that Oregon is among the states with the smallest people while its neighbor Washington is a state with one of the tallest people ?

they demography is practically the same
It depends on where you are. Portland, Oregon was extremely tall (there are a ton of Europeans there, and a lot were 6'3-6'6"+ and I even randomly walked by a 6'11" guy). However, I noticed in other big cities in Oregon (like Salem, Eugene, Gresham and Bend for example) that the male whites were significantly shorter with the female whites actually being like 5'9-5'11" often (pretty ironic, isn't it?). The Asians were actually taller there as well for some reason which made no sense to me (I ran into several who I swore were like 6'4-6'5", when most white men were like 5'9-5'11" in these places!).

Old 04-18-2014, 03:09 AM

4,806 posts, read 3,952,186 times
I think the guys in Arizona are pretty short. Girls too. Most guys here are 5'10" or less. Usually they are only barely taller than me or shorter. I'm a girl and I'm 5'8", and I tower over most of the girls here. By a good few inches. Usually the girls here will be in four/five inch heels and still be shorter than me, or at my height. I've also met a lot of girls here who barely pass 5'0". Not so many near my size.

I'm from a very tall family, where the girls average 5'5" and the guys average around 6'4", with none of the guys going under six foot. When people meet my family members, usually one of the first things they comment to me is how tall my family is. With that being said, Arizona leans shorter, I'd think.

Contrary to most of this thread, the Hispanic men in my family are the tallest.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:23 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,151,602 times
Texas and Minnesota for tallest

Also some parts of the Midwest.

I'm 6' 1" and sometimes I feel short in those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or