U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2016, 03:43 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,921,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

California is mainly short but they do have more tall guys then I thought in the state. They do get alot of transplants so there is a range in heights.
It's short because of the Mexicans and Asians. But I'm not sure what kind of whites it brings in. California attracts white transplants from other states who are considered more than average attractive. Since tallness is desirable, it wouldn't surprise me if California brings in more tall, attractive whites.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 01:07 AM

403 posts, read 477,602 times
In the Bay Area (especially Silicon Valley), it's not uncommon to find a man who is under 5'4". There were some who weren't even up to my shoulders (and I've found out that I'm 6'1 1/2" instead of 6'2"). Anybody who is feeling short at 5'9"-5'10" online would likely feel tall there. Whenever I notice somebody who is even 5'11", they always appear to be a lot taller (like 6'3"-6'4" sometimes) from far away just because of the fact that they're frequently surrounded by people who are significantly shorter than them.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,012 times
Being from Minnesota I would have to say we have the tallest I'm 6'3 and never considered myself at all tall until college. There's a ton of 6'5-6'6 people everywhere. I would say 6'2 is about average here. We used to call my 5'11 friend the hobbit in high school. I was amazed going on spring break in the south and seeing how short everyone is. Most of my friends I went with are 6'2-6'8 and people kept asking us if we were a basketball team, but if you walk into any target or Walmart in Minnesota you will find a 6'8 guy. Iowa and North Dakota are also tall, and parts of Wisconsin. Going to Chicago as well I was surprised by how short they are I had never seen so many 5'9 people in my life

Old 04-08-2016, 10:00 PM

Salt Lake City and Denver have so many short people, but I still would say that the average height in either of those places isn't as low as it is in the Bay Area, however. I would say that the average height in the Bay area is seriously 5'7" (possibly shorter in Silicon Valley), with it being 5'8 1/2" in the two big cities that I mentioned up above.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
There's plenty of information on the Internet about what state has the fattest residents (sorry, Mississippi and Louisiana), but what state has the tallest? My sense is that the further west you go the taller the people get.

I'm from Nevada where I was pretty average height, but I tower over everyone here in Maryland.
Alaska has some tall people as well. Everybody that I've met from there is between 6'0"-6'3" (and I've met a ton of people from there).

Old 05-10-2016, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,997 times
ikr im average for my height but seem really tall because i live in Maryland gotta tell u ppl r making me feel like a giant here

Old 05-14-2016, 07:20 PM

4,806 posts, read 3,952,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakefromstatefarm50 View Post
Being from Minnesota I would have to say we have the tallest I'm 6'3 and never considered myself at all tall until college. There's a ton of 6'5-6'6 people everywhere. I would say 6'2 is about average here. We used to call my 5'11 friend the hobbit in high school. I was amazed going on spring break in the south and seeing how short everyone is. Most of my friends I went with are 6'2-6'8 and people kept asking us if we were a basketball team, but if you walk into any target or Walmart in Minnesota you will find a 6'8 guy. Iowa and North Dakota are also tall, and parts of Wisconsin. Going to Chicago as well I was surprised by how short they are I had never seen so many 5'9 people in my life
You should come to Arizona, you'll feel like a giant at 6'3". I've met a lot of men here who are 5'5" or shorter even. I think most are around 5'7" or so.

I'm on the taller end of the spectrum for women (5'8") on average but I'm probably considered a giant here in Arizona. Most girls here are 5'2" or even shorter. Most of my friends are 5' even.

I need to move to Minnesota I think.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:55 AM

3,129 posts, read 3,262,831 times
Here in WA the men And women are as tall as the evergreens!....

Old 07-03-2016, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,775 times
I need to shout this out: SOUTH CAROLINA has the shortest men. And I do mean short 5'6 - 5'7 and under.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:17 AM

4,806 posts, read 3,952,186 times
After reading this thread again since it was resurrected, I noticed a correlation that colder states generally have taller people according to these anecdotes. Is there a reason for this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or