Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 08:39 PM

646 posts, read 926,760 times

Advertisements

my employment usually depends on good local economy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 08:15 AM

237 posts, read 192,052 times
Atlanta

Old 11-26-2013, 11:49 AM

68 posts, read 100,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
thanks for the details
does it get very hot/humid in the summer?
Nashville can definitely be hot and humid... I have found the obvious to be true. As you travel closer to the coast and further south it will get worse. TN isn't as bad as say Savannah or Florida but is worse than Ohio. Our temps seldom get over 100 degrees or below 20. We have mild 4 seasons and it is one of the best things about Nashville. The beauty of enjoying all 4 seasons with mild winters and summers. I just wish the springs and falls would last longer!

Old 11-26-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettNexus View Post
Atlanta
elaborate?

Old 11-27-2013, 10:14 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Chicago, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh would be my top choices. Here are some reasons for each.

Chicago:
- The biggest by far of the ones I listed. Huge downtown on a beautiful lakefront, fantastic public transportation, and all the cultural amenities you'd want out of a huge city.
- Tons of great urban neighborhoods to choose from, many with very easy access to the CTA trains/buses and cabs.
- One of the top food scenes, arts scenes, music scenes and sports scenes in the country.
- 4 seasons, winters are slightly colder than Philadelphia but about on par with Pittsburgh (with a little less snow). Summers are hard to beat.
- More expensive than Pittsburgh, pretty comparable to the price of Philly.
-Most diverse economy. Tons of tech start ups, huge healthcare and education sectors, and just about anything else you could think of. Job market has been improving since 2010.

Pittsburgh:
-Smallest of the 3, but it is finally beginning to grow and redefine itself from the old steel town it once was. Beautiful and intact downtown. One of the best you'll see for a city it's size.
-Great neighborhoods, all with a unique flare.
-Education and healthcare are the big industries here. Decent arts and dining scene. Huge on sports.
-4 seasons like Chicago and Philly. Colder than Philly by a little in the winter, and more snow than Chicago by a little.
-Lovely rolling mountains surrounding the region, which give the city a very unique vibe.
-Most affordable out of the 3 cities, and this is the one where it is still very possible to "make your mark". Pittsburgh is up and coming, and an exciting/changing place right now.
-Some areas/demographic still have that old school "yinzer" attitude (look it up). There is a disconnect between the younger/educated population that is changing the city and the old negative naysayers that still populate the region.
-Pretty poor public transit (but it exists). Mostly buses and a slow "T" light rail system that isn't very expansive.

Philly:
-A good middle ground when it comes to size. Big city vibe like Chicago but much smaller feeling.
-2nd best when it comes to transit. Not as expansive or "24 hour" as Chicago, but better than Pittsburgh.
-Great location. Close to many big east coast cities.
-Similar sports scene to Chicago.

For me, my choices would be Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Philly, in that order. Chicago offers more than both cities by far. Philly offers more than Pittsburgh, but not enough to make up for the cost difference. All of these are great old, urban cities that I would have no problem living in (and have lived in 2/3).

Last edited by ForYourLungsOnly; 11-27-2013 at 10:39 AM..

Old 11-27-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Chicago, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh would be my top choices. Here are some reasons for each.

Chicago:
- The biggest by far of the ones I listed. Huge downtown on a beautiful lakefront, fantastic public transportation, and all the cultural amenities you'd want out of a huge city.
- Tons of great urban neighborhoods to choose from, many with very easy access to the CTA trains/buses and cabs.
- One of the top food scenes, arts scenes, music scenes and sports scenes in the country.
- 4 seasons, winters are slightly colder than Philadelphia but about on par with Pittsburgh (with a little less snow). Summers are hard to beat.
- More expensive than Pittsburgh, pretty comparable to the price of Philly.
-Most diverse economy. Tons of tech start ups, huge healthcare and education sectors, and just about anything else you could think of. Job market has been improving since 2010.

Pittsburgh:
-Smallest of the 3, but it is finally beginning to grow and redefine itself from the old steel town it once was. Beautiful and intact downtown. One of the best you'll see for a city it's size.
-Great neighborhoods, all with a unique flare.
-Education and healthcare are the big industries here. Decent arts and dining scene. Huge on sports.
-4 seasons like Chicago and Philly. Colder than Philly by a little in the winter, and more snow than Chicago by a little.
-Lovely rolling mountains surrounding the region, which give the city a very unique vibe.
-Most affordable out of the 3 cities, and this is the one where it is still very possible to "make your mark". Pittsburgh is up and coming, and an exciting/changing place right now.
-Some areas/demographic still have that old school "yinzer" attitude (look it up). There is a disconnect between the younger/educated population that is changing the city and the old negative naysayers that still populate the region.
-Pretty poor public transit (but it exists). Mostly buses and a slow "T" light rail system that isn't very expansive.

Philly:
-A good middle ground when it comes to size. Big city vibe like Chicago but much smaller feeling.
-2nd best when it comes to transit. Not as expansive or "24 hour" as Chicago, but better than Pittsburgh.
-Great location. Close to many big east coast cities.
-Similar sports scene to Chicago.

For me, my choices would be Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Philly, in that order. Chicago offers more than both cities by far. Philly offers more than Pittsburgh, but not enough to make up for the cost difference. All of these are great old, urban cities that I would have no problem living in (and have lived in 2/3).
good input, how would you compare vibes of chicago vs pittsburgh?

Old 11-27-2013, 10:22 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
my employment usually depends on good local economy
In terms of what? I'm only asking because the type of work you can do may not be prevalent in a place with a "good" economy or may be available in a place you may not expect.

Also, what are you looking for in a neighborhood and/or city?

Old 11-27-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In terms of what? I'm only asking because the type of work you can do may not be prevalent in a place with a "good" economy or may be available in a place you may not expect.

Also, what are you looking for in a neighborhood and/or city?
my typa work can be found in any major city, ill leave it at that, good economy would be better long term, but of course ultimately it doesnt matter cuz if i have a job, others' economy might not bother me that much
in regards to nhoods and cities, im pretty open minded, altho i hate hipsters
i like clean cities, but i do like some gritty character, but not too much, in other words, not too bland, not too ghetto

Old 11-27-2013, 10:35 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
my typa work can be found in any major city, ill leave it at that, good economy would be better long term, but of course ultimately it doesnt matter cuz if i have a job, others' economy might not bother me that much
in regards to nhoods and cities, im pretty open minded, altho i hate hipsters
i like clean cities, but i do like some gritty character, but not too much, in other words, not too bland, not too ghetto
Does walkability matter? Nightlife?

Old 11-27-2013, 10:36 PM

im actually thinkin, i jus might like pittsburgh, esp coming from NJ, im def gon look into it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.