Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 05:06 PM

91,996 posts, read 122,107,559 times

Advertisements

As the title states, within the city you live in or by, what is the best neighborhood that you would suggest or identify with each of those categories? It doesn't have to necessarily be uniform to what the general public may think in your area, but what you think would be the best choice. You can post a website, streetview and/or another form of information for each category.

For instance, to start it off, this is what I would suggest:

1. Home » Downtown Committee of Syracuse

2. Google Maps Street View

3. Google Maps Street View
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 06:30 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,491,833 times
Baltimore:

Urban Professionals: Midtown/Boton Hill

Bolton Hill, Baltimore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1307+...ed=0CC4Q8gEwAA

Middle-class: Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills, Baltimore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Harfo...ed=0CC4Q8gEwAA

Middle-class families with Diversity: Upper Fells Point

Upper Fell's Point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://www.google.com/search?q=Goug...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Old 11-22-2013, 07:26 PM

133 posts, read 543,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
As the title states, within the city you live in or by, what is the best neighborhood that you would suggest or identify with each of those categories? It doesn't have to necessarily be uniform to what the general public may think in your area, but what you think would be the best choice. You can post a website, streetview and/or another form of information for each category.
Eastwood seems middle-class and diverse to me.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayonaise View Post
Eastwood seems middle-class and diverse to me.
To a degree, but the East Side is more so on both accounts due to the proximity to the universities/colleges and hospitals. Actually, both of the last 2 neighborhoods are on the East Side.

Any other cities?

Old 05-17-2016, 03:36 PM

I think this would be another example where you would find all 3: The Elmwood Village Association

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9222...7i13312!8i6656

This portion of this street would/could fit: HertelAvenue.com - Hertel Avenue Buffalo NY - Stores, Restaurants, Night Clubs, Services, Business

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9475...7i13312!8i6656

Old 05-17-2016, 07:10 PM

3,296 posts, read 3,854,014 times
Pittsburgh - like many cities the middle class is being pushed out to the burbs. We basically have rich and poor neighborhoods. Not a whole lot of in-between left.

Urban professionals (wealthy millennials), Lawrenceville is our version of Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:58 PM

14,360 posts, read 16,863,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Pittsburgh - like many cities the middle class is being pushed out to the burbs. We basically have rich and poor neighborhoods. Not a whole lot of in-between left.

Urban professionals (wealthy millennials), Lawrenceville is our version of Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
I'd block you, but you say so many misleading things that I feel need to be corrected to the wider public.

While Pittsburgh always has had more wealth in the city than is typical for a rust belt metro, there's not a single neighborhood where the median household income is above $100,000 (Squirrel Hill North and Point Breeze come closest). Therefore I don't think it's really fair to say we have wealthy neighborhoods. We have poor neighborhoods and a lot of middle class ones. The wealthiest census block groups in Central Lawrenceville still have a median household income of around $51,000, FWIW.

Regardless, as to the OP. Urban professionals would be Shadyside. Urban middle-class families would be Squirrel Hill. Urban middle class with diversity is harder. Stanton Heights is a racially integrated, solidly middle class neighborhood in the city, but it's mostly postwar suburbia in terms of built form. Highland Park is pretty racially mixed, but most of the black population is poor. I guess I'd go with Point Breeze North, which is around 50/50 black and white, and has a notable black middle class in places.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:26 PM

34,812 posts, read 30,867,528 times
Here in Indianapolis, there are plenty of townships on the periphery of the city, which are easily affordable by most couples, relatively safe, and technically within the city limits, but I wouldn't consider them urban.

I know several couples in their 30s, some with kids, living in neighborhoods like Broad Ripple and Fountain Square.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:10 PM

In this case, urban was initially meant for anything within city limits. If it fits in terms of the built environment though, even better.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:46 PM

3,296 posts, read 3,854,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'd block you, but you say so many misleading things that I feel need to be corrected to the wider public.
You are the one who admitted to cheerleading in order to convince people to move to Pittsburgh, whether or not it is the truth. Go back and read what you said on the Pittsburgh Pessimism thread.

Census figures back up my posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.