U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-23-2013, 05:03 PM
:-D
Status: "Brace yourself... The 100s are coming!" (set 1 day ago)

567 posts, read 164,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
These are very sparsely populated areas though, Mostly rez settlements, small towns, and wide open deserts. Does Phoenix - Denver commerce trade and travel really warrant and interstate highway? The route would have to penetrate though some very tough mountainous topography in parts. I think I-40 to ABQ and then to I-25 does the job just fine.
True... the 160 does run through the middle of no where!

Near Page and the Four Corners are some phenomenal places to see (Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon, Lake Powell, Four Corners itself, Horseshoe Bend, Vermillion Cliffs, the ruins of the Natives in SW Colorado... ps. Sure I'm missing some more) just upsetting how hard these places are to access. Driving through the Rez can be pretty scary, since you won't see life for miles on miles...

I am all for some kind of Interstate within that area of the country (around the four corners) simply because it would make it so much easier to go through the neighboring states. However, as you said, Colorado is hard to drive through because of its topography, and it could go through AZ (or SW Utah or NW New Mexico) but it would have to be approved by the Navajo Nation. Part of me thinks there would be some kind of Interstate through there already, but depending on how much the Native Americans would charge to allow the freeway to go through their land, it may not be worth it economically. I know Phoenix has to pay a boatload to allow our numerous freeways through the reservations...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-23-2013, 06:05 PM

33 posts, read 12,674 times
DC NEEDS a controlled-access highway from the northwest (a connection from I-270 in Bethesda straight into DC). My commute is from Potomac/Rockville to DC, and it's a 15 mile commute that takes an hour because there's no direct highway into DC from southern Montgomery County. They were planning to build one from I-270 into the center of the city, which would have been perfect, but it was ditched along with the other DC highway plans. Also, we need an "Outer" beltway that connects MoCo to Loudoun County because IAD is not accessible for folks in Mid/Upper Montgomery County. Again, they were going to build one, but they didn't.

OR, a better option would be to just create a Beltway-type Metro line around the city, but I heard that Metro won't do that anytime soon.

Unread 11-23-2013, 07:06 PM

26,923 posts, read 30,319,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Where can I find more information on this? I have long held the view that an interstate linking ME, NH VT and upstate NY is necessary.
Here is some information about the Upstate NY portion of the potential highway: A Short History of the ‘Rooftop Highway’ | The New York History Blog

A $4 Billion “Rooftop” Highway For Upstate NY? | Mobilizing the Region

Unread 11-23-2013, 07:08 PM

10,077 posts, read 6,740,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

Shreveport, Louisiana -> Cleveland, Texas

Pine Bluff, Arkansas -> Monroe, Louisiana
I-69 is under construction and will connect Houston to Tyler/Longview/etc, I think. It should terminate in Shreveport if you ask me. Much larger population base and makes more sense to me, as far as logistics and commerce are concerned.

I-51 would connect Houma, LA to Little Rock via Baton Rouge, Natchez, Monroe, and Pine Bluff.
I-(insert number here)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayonaise View Post
I was just reading about the proposed Interstate 14, which would travel from Natchez, MS to Augusta, GA. Though I'm sure this road would be used, I could think of other potential interstate routes that are needed more.

I would suggest building an interstate connecting Birmingham to Tupelo, to Memphis, to Jonesboro, to Branson, to Joplin, to Wichita.

Which string of cities needs a new interstate the most?
I-22 is under construction as well which will connect Memphis to Tupelo and finally Birmingham.

Unread 11-23-2013, 07:12 PM

4,764 posts, read 1,263,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Where can I find more information on this? I have long held the view that an interstate linking ME, NH VT and upstate NY is necessary.
Catch this plan. It is in the books of NYSDOT:

I-98 - Northern Tier Expwy - UpstateNYroads

This one is a separate initiative

East

Combining both plans, I came up with an Idea of designing I 92. It will be slightly different though. Let me work on the routing with Google map maker and send you my results eh.

Unread 11-23-2013, 07:30 PM

374 posts, read 109,418 times
Toledo OH - Fort Wayne IN - Logansport IN - Champaign IL (joins I-72) to Hannibal - Joplin, MO - Dallas, TX (or to Houston)

Unread 11-23-2013, 08:24 PM

3,775 posts, read 2,200,365 times
Toledo to Columbus, Ohio.

Unread 11-23-2013, 09:03 PM

313 posts, read 138,307 times
There are a few points that stand out on the map to me:
  • Huntsville, AL to Atlanta. There are a lot of hills in the way, but it shouldn't be beyond modern civil engineering to build a simple relatively straight, high-capacity road on this needed route. I know this route is needed from personal experience. Huntsville needs more freeways in general for a town larger than Mobile and Montgomery (both of which have multiple major freeways branching out of them. Huntsville has a single spur to a freeway that should have been built a lot closer to it - I-65.
  • Salt Lake City to Phoenix. There is a fairly big canyon and multiple national parks in the way, but come on...
  • Reno to Vegas seems like it should be connected with an interstate - Boise to Reno as well. Even Vegas to Phoenix should be connected more effectively. (How does Nevada operate with so few N-S routes?) Just make it one freeway with an odd number from 7 to 13. (Lucky 7 would go well with the Vegas-Reno theme)
  • Though it is fairly well connected, I think Buffalo could use a direct route to either New York City or Philadelphia.
  • St. Louis to Little Rock to New Orleans.
  • Memphis to Mobile.
  • It's not huge, but the point east of Albuquerque where 40 and 25 almost come back to each other, should have a connector. Imagine having to go to Denver on I-40 and having to go through Albuquerque. You would have to take US Highway 84, which is two-lane, or go way out of your way through Albuquerque.

Unread 11-23-2013, 09:13 PM

313 posts, read 138,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
The proposed Interstate 11 from Phoenix to Las Vegas would connect the two largest metropolitan areas within a region that are not already connected by an interstate. The new arched Tillman bridge near the Hoover Dam was built to interstate standards and there are sections of US highway 93 that are as well and would easily connect and re-designate to the existing spur I-515 freeway through Las Vegas.

Interstate 11 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Why are the passing up on the opportunity to number it Lucky 7? I guess they want to leave room for more California interstates...

Unread 11-24-2013, 12:04 AM

689 posts, read 368,292 times
I designed Interstate 63 as an improved alternative to the I-3 proposal. I am trying to get my idea out there more so check out my page and spread the word if you think this is a good idea.

https://www.facebook.com/BuildInterstate63
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.