Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 02:13 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times

Advertisements

I think Maryland, New Jersey, and Connecticut have a lot in common. Except I think NJ and MD both have a closer relationship with their respective close major cities (NYC and DC) than CT does with NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 02:39 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Massachusetts and Virginia do have a good deal in common.

I've always considered Maryland to be fairly comparable to Massachusetts. Both are near the top in the U.S. in terms of average household income, both have major historic port cities and a long history of seafaring tradition. Both are noted for their beaches, bays and harbors. Both have urbanized coastal regions and picturesque rolling hills in the west (MA doesn't really have much that compares to the Eastern Shore, though). Both contain some of the best medical and research facilities in the nation. And to top it off, they're comparable in physical size.
Both states also have some of the best educational institutions in the country. Biotechnology is huge in both states. We're also among the most oddly-shaped states on the East Coast

Old 05-23-2014, 06:37 PM

68 posts, read 109,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Texas – California (both think they’re the best & rightfully are in many categories, loads of similarities between these 2)
Florida – Hawaii
Washington – Alaska (I’ve seen lots of pictures of Alaska that look just like Washington)
Arizona – New Mexico
Oregon – Idaho
Montana – Wyoming
Colorado – Utah

Wisconsin – Michigan
Minnesota – Iowa
North Dakota – South Dakota
Nebraska – Oklahoma (football!)
Kansas – Missouri
Arkansas – Louisiana
Ohio – Pennsylvania
Illinois – Indiana

Mississippi – Alabama
Georgia – South Carolina
North Carolina – Tennessee
Kentucky – W. Virginia

I know the least about this part of the country

Maryland – Virginia
New York – Nevada (both have 1 global tourist attraction, but also have beautiful natural areas outside the cities)
Maine – Mass (lobster, coast)
New Jersey – Conn (wealthy)
Vermont – New Hampshire
Rhode Island – Delaware (tiny coastal states that I never hear about )
NC and TN? WVA and KY? I would do NC and VA and KY and TN

Old 05-23-2014, 06:51 PM

312 posts, read 494,214 times
Oddly enough North Carolina seems to be a more of a sister state with Virginia than South Carolina. Guess SC has Georgia? Have never been to those two much.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:00 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Hmmm finally someone mentions Kentucky...interesting because I still think they follow Virginias constitution or something like that and it is also a Commonwealth. I will have to disagree though. Nope, not a "sister state"....and while I know what is and isn't "southern" Virginia DEFINETLY doesn't have anymore in common with Kentucky than Maryland. That's almost laughable, but you ARE intitled to your opinion. I disagree. I would imagine someone will say West Virginia next. Yes, The Commonwealth, Mother of States (like Kentucky) does stand alone.

Edit: Did you say one large city and Virginia has Richmond? I'll have to disagree.
Entitled.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:36 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen View Post
Oddly enough North Carolina seems to be a more of a sister state with Virginia than South Carolina. Guess SC has Georgia? Have never been to those two much.
You're pretty much on the money in both cases.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:12 AM

4,666 posts, read 3,861,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
I mean, the UP only touches Wisconsin. It's our hat, and outside the War of Toledo probably would have just been part of Wisconsin (as would have been logical).
I'm trying to picture what Wisconsin would look and be like if the UP was part of it. In my opinion, Wisconsin would look a lot like Minnesota with added NE part.

http://www.classicwisconsin.com/images/newwisc.gif

http://www.themaize.com/images/maps/map_minnesota.gif

Old 05-24-2014, 08:16 AM

4,666 posts, read 3,861,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDS30 View Post
NC and TN? WVA and KY? I would do NC and VA and KY and TN
Yes, I could see that too. I picked Tn and Nc, because when I lived in Tn for 3 years they seemed to share a lot in common. Also a lot of people in Tn liked to compare the state to NC. I never heard much discussion regarding Ky. East Tn is very similar to West NC with both sharing the Smokies. I never made it over to Eastern NC so I'm sure the coast differentiates them.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:35 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,160 times
Quote:
Yes, I could see that too. I picked Tn and Nc, because when I lived in Tn for 3 years they seemed to share a lot in common. Also a lot of people in Tn liked to compare the state to NC. I never heard much discussion regarding Ky. East Tn is very similar to West NC with both sharing the Smokies. I never made it over to Eastern NC so I'm sure the coast differentiates them.
I'd actually say NC has the least in common with TN out of all the states that border NC (SC, VA, GA, TN). Eastern TN and western NC definitely have their similarities, but outside those regions, the two states are not as similar IMO. I visited Nashville once and it didn't feel too much like any NC city, but maybe that's just me. Memphis is VERY far from NC, so I imagine it's even more different than Nashville. The similarities I see is that both states are Upper South and were the last to join the Confederacy, not to mention the fact that TN WAS NC at one point. Regarding Eastern NC, it's very flat and rural, and is the one region of the state that is actually quite Deep South in a way. In general, I'd say TN's best pair is Kentucky.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:58 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,144 times
Quote:
A big reason I put Minnesota with Iowa was because I didn't know who else to pair it with. Minnesota is too midwest like to be paired with the Dakotas, which I consider plains states (though I did pair Missouri with Kansas but I had other reasons for that). I selected Iowa because when I've been on I 35 through Iowa to the Twin Cities, I can't even tell when I cross the border. It looks the exact same. The whole stretch of I-90 through Minnesota also looks the same as the I-80 stretch through Iowa. But that could be said for many states & it's hard to tell when you cross the border in any midwest state.
Well, of course the landscape doesn't magically change at the arbitrarily-drawn border. If you're judging Minnesota solely by the southern 1/3 of the state, sure, it looks like Iowa. The entire stretch of I-90 through Minnesota is only 10-15 miles from the Iowa border on average, and is hardly characteristic of the state as a whole. The northern 2/3 of the state, however, has a completely different landscape. Going north on I-35, about 40-50 miles south of the Twin Cities you'll start to notice more thick stands of hardwoods intermixed with farmland (this area was originally the Big Woods before settlement), and by the time you've passed the Twin Cities going north on I-35, it's already begun gradually turning to mixed deciduous and pine forest. By the time you reach Pine City, it's dense pines all the way to Duluth.

If I were to judge Wisconsin based on its landscape on its extreme southern edge, I could say it looks exactly like Iowa or Illinois, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.