Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 08:58 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,321 times

Advertisements

NC and VA aren't identical, but they could be sister states. Culturally, they're not too different, only NC lacks mid-Atlantic (Chesapeake Bay) culture while VA isn't quite as southern. At the same time, on paper, both are pretty similar. You could easily draw similarities between Raleigh/Durham and NOVA, or perhaps Winston-Salem and Richmond. Both states are quite historic, and both fall outside the Deep South unlike SC and GA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 09:40 AM

638 posts, read 623,374 times
Missouri and Indiana

I do not feel that Iowa is a sister to Missouri. Iowa has no metros close to KC or St. Louis in population size, and I think the culture of rural Missouri more resembles that of Indiana.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:56 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
NC and VA aren't identical, but they could be sister states. Culturally, they're not too different, only NC lacks mid-Atlantic (Chesapeake Bay) culture while VA isn't quite as southern. At the same time, on paper, both are pretty similar. You could easily draw similarities between Raleigh/Durham and NOVA, or perhaps Winston-Salem and Richmond. Both states are quite historic, and both fall outside the Deep South unlike SC and GA.
Eastern NC is the Deep South for the most part, and the upper Piedmont/Appalachian areas of SC and GA aren't really the Deep South. But this has been discussed extensively in other threads.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:11 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Eastern NC is the Deep South for the most part, and the upper Piedmont/Appalachian areas of SC and GA aren't really the Deep South. But this has been discussed extensively in other threads.
That's true.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:15 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,240 times
Rhode Island is basically a little Massachusetts.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:50 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Rhode Island is basically a little Massachusetts.
Rhode Island is a Boston suburb.

Old 03-05-2022, 06:56 AM

2 posts, read 914 times
Texas = Tennessee

Old 03-05-2022, 01:55 PM

668 posts, read 470,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo_boo_8706 View Post

I had to divide New York to get good pairings. They are very different and the natives divide them anyway. I occasionally will pair New Jersey with Pennsylvania as the former appears to be backing into the latter. Here I paired NJ with downstate New York since both are densely populated and have a lot of people who travel between the two on a regular basis. .
As a resident of central NJ, this is not true, other then the northern part of the state that identifies with the NYC metro area.

South of Trenton, the densely populated parts are few and far between. This entire half of the state definitely identifies more with Delaware or Maryland.

Old 03-07-2022, 06:59 PM

2,362 posts, read 1,050,963 times
North Dakota and South Dakota

This is a bit of a stretch but maybe....Alabama and Mississippi

Also...

Washington and Oregon

Vermont and New Hampshire

I'd like to say North and South Carolina .....sort of...though North Carolina is much bigger
in size and population...more and bigger mountains too.

Old 03-08-2022, 10:35 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Alabama and Mississippi are always lumped together.

I'm sure it's because the states are almost mirror images of each other on the map, and they actually used to be joined together prior to statehood as the Mississippi Territory from 1798-1817.

However, the two states have definitely drifted apart over the past 30-40 years I would say and have very different visions.

Arizona and New Mexico are often lumped together even though the states have very little in common.

Washington and Oregon, Colorado and Wyoming, Tennessee and Kentucky, Kansas and Nebraska...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.