Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 10:21 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,052 times

Advertisements

Maine + New Brunswick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 11:08 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
As far as New York and New Jersey go, I think that a lot of people, when hearing both those states, think of the NYC region and that becomes the whole state for each in their minds. In reality, upstate NY where the metro region ends and South Jersey, even the Jersey Shore region within the metro region I like to argue, is different from the actual metro region of northern/central NJ, LI, NYC, and the southernmost parts of upstate NY.

If you could split both NY and NJ into two, NY metro region and other, the NY metro region areas of NY and NJ are a near perfect match but as a whole, no NJ and NY are not very similar. It is easy to ignore the less known, and probably less popular, areas of each, though, therefore making NY and NJ as whole states "sister states".

When people think NJ, they think northern NJ for the most part (the stereotypical toxic fumes and wasteland? ). When people think NY, they think NYC instantly for the most part.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:08 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,171,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I always tend to lump OR and WA together, as well as VT and NH. For you PNW'ers and New Englanders, is that valid?
I dunno - I tend to think of New Hampshire as aligning more closely with Maine culturally, politically, and linguistically. Obviously Maine has a much longer coastline, but the two states share a similar geology, with the White Mountains of NH extending into Maine and lots of sizable lakes in both. Pines dominate the coastal forests, with maple-beech-birch forests in the highlands, and spruce-fir to the north. Both states have smaller pockets of agricultural land compared to the more widespread farming in Vermont.

The only thing really preventing a close "sisterhood" between NH and ME, IMO, is the much greater size of the latter - there are parts of Maine that are very much unknown to Mainers, let alone New Hampshirites. But if you look at the way the two states vote, or listen to the way they speak, I think you will see the kinship more closely than with NH and VT.

NH and VT do share largely mountainous landscapes and lack the kind of poverty or isolation that exist in some areas of Maine, but historically they have always been pretty distinct places (even back to the early 1800s, voting at opposite ends of the political spectrum in New England).

The general exception to this rule, I think, is western New Hampshire - along the Connecticut River Valley - which is very closely linked to Vermont in many ways. Both sides of the river rely on each other economically, in a way that is probably more symbiotic than anywhere along the NH-Maine border.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:35 AM

462 posts, read 720,074 times
I'm going to attempt to pair all 50 into 25 pairs (some contiguous matches, some on the opposite side of the country):
  1. California + Florida (Spanish, beaches)
  2. Oregon + Washington (logging and other PNW activities)
  3. Montana + Idaho (northern mountain states)
  4. Wyoming + South Dakota (high plains)
  5. Minnesota + North Dakota (lots of ethnic overlap in rural areas)
  6. Arizona + New Mexico ("the southwest", deserts, rugged mountains, reservations, Hispanic population)
  7. Nevada + New Jersey (gambling; playgrounds for mega cities on the coasts)
  8. Colorado + Utah (skiing)
  9. Texas + Oklahoma (Red River rivalry, oil baron cowboys)
  10. Mississippi + Louisiana (Mississippi Delta)
  11. Missouri + Kansas (Kansas City)
  12. Iowa + Nebraska (corn)
  13. Wisconsin + Illinois (Lake Michigan cities)
  14. Michigan + Ohio (Lake Erie industrial cities, collegiate rivalries)
  15. Indiana + Kentucky (Ohio River Americana)
  16. South Carolina + North Carolina (The Carolinas)
  17. Alabama + Georgia (Birmingham vs Atlanta, Auburn vs UGA, Columbus-Phenix City, similar geography)
  18. Connecticut + Delaware (tiny old states that house suburbs for major cities)
  19. Rhode Island + Massachusetts (Rhode Island is practically south Massachusetts)
  20. Vermont + West Virginia (landlocked mountain states)
  21. Maryland + Virginia (DC, shared colonial origins)
  22. New York + Pennsylvania (East coast cities on the east side, midwest cities on the west side)
  23. Maine + New Hampshire (lots of mountains and New England fishing and whaling)
  24. Arkansas + Tennessee (Memphis, Ozarks and Smokies are similar)
  25. Hawaii + Alaska (49 & 50)

Last edited by Hamtonfordbury; 12-02-2013 at 06:04 AM..

Old 12-02-2013, 05:57 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Many people assume West Virginia is part of Virginia. We are very similar to southwestern Virginia, but totally different than the rest of Virginia. Nothing like Hampton Roads, Richmond, the Shenandoah Valley, or Northern VA. Virginia as a whole is much more prosperous and Southern, and the average Virginian either lives in a suburb or in farm country, while the average West Virginian lives in a small city or small town and this state is more about coal mining than farming.

I think Kansas-Nebraska, New York-New Jersey, Alabama-Mississippi, Wyoming-Montana, Washington-Oregon, and Vermont-New Hampshire can be good pairings.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:10 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,539,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Many people assume West Virginia is part of Virginia. We are very similar to southwestern Virginia, but totally different than the rest of Virginia. Nothing like Hampton Roads, Richmond, the Shenandoah Valley, or Northern VA. Virginia as a whole is much more prosperous and Southern, and the average Virginian either lives in a suburb or in farm country, while the average West Virginian lives in a small city or small town and this state is more about coal mining than farming.

I think Kansas-Nebraska, New York-New Jersey, Alabama-Mississippi, Wyoming-Montana, Washington-Oregon, and Vermont-New Hampshire can be good pairings.
I agree with what you say about the Virginias.

However, if you do a little reading and research, you will find immediately that New York and New Jersey have little to nothing in common.

New York and Pennsylvania? Yes. New Jersey and Delaware? Yes. But outside of the NYC circle NY and NJ are night and day.

Upstate New York is mostly rural/small town. It's Appalachian in the southern tier, Midwestern on the lake, and Canadian in the "north country". Upstate has it's own bigger cities but you'd be surprised how disconnected the rural areas can be from them due to distance/hills and valleys or mountains blocking the way. What would be an hour's drive in a flat state can take two in NY. NYC has very little cultural influence outside of transplants on upstate. Upstate NY is also quite farm heavy. Lots of dairies and produce farms. NY also has a major Mennonite and Amish population.

Southern Jersey is very coastal. Beaches, resorts, a gambling town, and mostly flat (in contrast to NY's hills and mountains). Jersey is also much more connected to major urban areas along the coast. It also contains the pine barrens, which is a kind of spooky endless forest with no undergrowth.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:09 PM

9,085 posts, read 6,308,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
I dunno - I tend to think of New Hampshire as aligning more closely with Maine culturally, politically, and linguistically. Obviously Maine has a much longer coastline, but the two states share a similar geology, with the White Mountains of NH extending into Maine and lots of sizable lakes in both. Pines dominate the coastal forests, with maple-beech-birch forests in the highlands, and spruce-fir to the north. Both states have smaller pockets of agricultural land compared to the more widespread farming in Vermont.

The only thing really preventing a close "sisterhood" between NH and ME, IMO, is the much greater size of the latter - there are parts of Maine that are very much unknown to Mainers, let alone New Hampshirites. But if you look at the way the two states vote, or listen to the way they speak, I think you will see the kinship more closely than with NH and VT.

NH and VT do share largely mountainous landscapes and lack the kind of poverty or isolation that exist in some areas of Maine, but historically they have always been pretty distinct places (even back to the early 1800s, voting at opposite ends of the political spectrum in New England).

The general exception to this rule, I think, is western New Hampshire - along the Connecticut River Valley - which is very closely linked to Vermont in many ways. Both sides of the river rely on each other economically, in a way that is probably more symbiotic than anywhere along the NH-Maine border.
Well there could always be a second sister.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:06 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,269,546 times
Montana-Wyoming
Arizona-New Mexico
California-Nevada
Washington-Oregon
Vermont-New Hampshire
Minnesota-Manitoba
Maine-New Brunswick
North Dakota-South Dakota
New York-Pennsylvania
Mississippi-Alabama
Ohio-Indiana-Illinois
Kentucky-Tennessee
North Carolina-Virginia
Georgia-South Carolina
Connecticut-Massachusetts
Kansas-Nebraska
Texas-Oklahoma
Alaska-Yukon

Old 12-02-2013, 09:35 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Yes despite the rivalry, Texas is probably the state most similar to Oklahoma.

I think Nevada pairs better than Arizona than with California.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:45 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Yes despite the rivalry, Texas is probably the state most similar to Oklahoma.

I think Nevada pairs better than Arizona than with California.
Yes, Texas does share much in common culturally with Oklahoma given an assessment of accents and the way people relate to each other is similar, no doubt. However, Texas' big city culture (not the smaller/more rural areas) is quite different than Oklahoma, especially given the excessive transplantation in Texas from other regions.

Personally, and from my experience, a slightly better pairing with Oklahoma is Arkansas as it is a small population state with many rural communities like Oklahoma with cultural commonality given dialects and the people (although Arkies are more a tad more reserved than Okies, while Texans are quite brash like Okies).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.