Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 08:31 AM

23,309 posts, read 43,763,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
They aren't exactly that close together, but Huntington WV, Ironton OH, and Ashland KY officially share a metro area.

Miami-Ft Lauderdale-Palm beach really are connected to each other.
I always found it intriguing that the former MSA straddles three states.
And yes, the latter doesn't begin to thin out until you get above Stuart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 08:32 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,535,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Buffalo-Rochester-Syracuse come to mind in upstate NY
Buff, Roch, and Syr are grouped together culturally but they are each their own metro areas and are fairly separated from each other geographically. Rochester splits the distance between Buff and Syr and it is still over an hour between from Rochester to either Buffalo or Syracuse; well over 2 hours between Buffalo and Syracuse.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:39 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,571,296 times
Columbus, GA
Phenix City, AL
Fort Benning, GA

These 3 have been referred to as the Tri-Cities for years.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:34 PM

375 posts, read 794,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
I think some of those are really grasping at straws. When I think tri-cities, I think cities that share borders. At least in Nebraska, Grand Island, Kearney, and Hastings are not that close. Hastings is about 40 miles from Grand Island and Grand Island is about 55 miles from Kearney. Yes, there's not much else in that area, but I don't consider that tri-cities.
Last time I checked Hastings wasn't 40 miles from GI. Maybe Kearney, but its only about 25 from Hastings to Grand Island. Agree though that they are not the Tri-Cities by any definition. Kearney is pretty much on it's own as is GI.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:05 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,714,657 times
Lancaster, Harrisburg, and York PA are intercommutable and share a TV market larger than Las Vegas although separate metros. What the area lacks is a brand definition - the two most common referents are "Central PA" and "Susquehanna Valley" but neither fits well -not least because both have other claimants.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:50 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,011,170 times
I live in two metros that are considered Tri-Cities: Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill and Miami/Ft Lauderdale/West Palm Beach. Both metros are highly connected among their individual municipalities and counties. Both have a primary, secondary and tertiary structure. Both have large suburban areas that are populated beyond at least one of the named core cities. The differences between them is that Research Triangle cities are set up as the name suggests: in a triangle. This affords easier interaction of people among the three and the overall culture is more similar than different. In Miami, it's 70 miles from Miami to West Palm Beach and the two cities do not feel very physically or culturally connected to each other but both are reasonably connected to Ft Lauderdale in the middle.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:42 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,018 posts, read 7,404,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Buffalo-Rochester-Syracuse come to mind in upstate NY

That's like saying Philly-Baltimore-DC is a tri-city lol (They are actually closer)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.