Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 09:02 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times

Advertisements

You don't have to take yourself seriously to enjoy big cities, but that can be an annoying aspect of it. I don't necessarily need a huge city, but U.S. is primarily auto oriented in it's smaller and midsize cities, either that, or there is a lack of culture/jobs/safety, that's the main problem. I'd be happier in plenty of lower tier European cities for example. I can't really think of any smaller walkable cities in the U.S. with a good job market that isn't auto oriented. To be honest, most U.S. cities kind of suck b/c everybody wants a suburban lifestyle. The only charming small cities in the U.S. primarily only rely on tourist industries these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 12:13 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,878,205 times
I would consider myself lucky in a sense because if I needed to get my big city fix, im only two hours away from one.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:59 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
No city envy here. I suppose that could be state envy for me. You have to make the most out of any place you live. There are plenty of people in big cities that don't get out and enjoy the things their cities are known for.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:07 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
The guy in the cubicle next to me went to school in your town. He was trying to tell me this morning that the "north side" is a real ghetto. I don't believe him. Is there a ghetto there?

*disclaimer, I don't want this to turn into a discussion of what constitutes a ghetto. He was trying to tell me there are shootings and stabbings fairly frequently there and I didn't believe him.

I love your area.
The north side is the least desirable side of town, cheapest houses (more trailer parks) and there is a small area that, in general, has more crime than other areas. There have been stabbings and shootings in that area (including the one a couple years ago where three police officers were shot and two killed). However, I would not consider it a "real ghetto." It may just be perspective. I moved from the Omaha area and there are parts there that I would avoid driving through and certainly wouldn't get out of my car. There is no part of Rapid City that is THAT bad. From what I've heard (I've only been here three years), the north side is nicer than it used to be. There are still nice houses that you can tell the owners care about. That's also where most of the retail is. It wouldn't be my first choice of areas of town to live in, but it's not terrible.

I love this area, too!

Old 12-07-2013, 08:05 AM

66 posts, read 129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
You don't have to take yourself seriously to enjoy big cities, but that can be an annoying aspect of it. I don't necessarily need a huge city, but U.S. is primarily auto oriented in it's smaller and midsize cities, either that, or there is a lack of culture/jobs/safety, that's the main problem. I'd be happier in plenty of lower tier European cities for example. I can't really think of any smaller walkable cities in the U.S. with a good job market that isn't auto oriented. To be honest, most U.S. cities kind of suck b/c everybody wants a suburban lifestyle. The only charming small cities in the U.S. primarily only rely on tourist industries these days.
+1.

What most of the city-data crowd wants is a walkable city with culture and entertainment options. That doesn't necessarily have to be a top-tier city but in the US it usually is. Smaller places like Santa Fe, Boulder, Asheville, etc are also popular because they offer a walkable lifestyle, strong arts scene, liberal attitude, etc.

It's the massive, sprawling, completely cultureless places like Phoenix, Oklahoma City, Indianapolis, etc that get the most hate. In those places you would be hard-pressed to find a single neighborhood where you could live entirely without a car.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:08 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,802 times
The only way I could afford to visit a higher-tiered city is to live a very low-tiered one.

Still hoping to find the right one.

I wouldn't mind driving to a walkable city, if it meant I was living in a rural area with privacy.

For the longest time I've lived where I can walk or ride my bike to the beach. I'll miss that, but in a way a lake has more possibilities .

Old 12-07-2013, 12:13 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Quote:
I can't really think of any smaller walkable cities in the U.S. with a good job market that isn't auto oriented.
Here's what i don't understand, Grapico. What does it matter to you if a city is auto oriented as long as you situate yourself in a neighborhood that meets your needs for walking, biking, or transit.

There may be times you need a taxi for a Dr appointment and there is a major car company with cheap weekend rates (they'll pick you up). So what is the deal about how others live their lives?

Old 12-08-2013, 03:27 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Here's what i don't understand, Grapico. What does it matter to you if a city is auto oriented as long as you situate yourself in a neighborhood that meets your needs for walking, biking, or transit.

There may be times you need a taxi for a Dr appointment and there is a major car company with cheap weekend rates (they'll pick you up). So what is the deal about how others live their lives?
What are these cities that you can live comfortably like this though where everything you need is at your fingertips, in the U.S., this is primarily in the big cities. I also don't want to be isolated to a singular part of a city, where if I want to leave and enjoy the rest of the cities amenities, it requires a car.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:04 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,410,816 times
I've lived the majority of my life in a "low tier" city and I don't like it. I've seen too many other places that just make my city look ugly. Not to mention it is in a geographically boring area.

I'd move if I could, but I have my dream career here.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:52 AM

549 posts, read 848,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post

THIS! I live in Cincinnati, which as a metro is VERY auto oriented. But the neighborhoods in the city's center are some of the most walkable in the country. I live car-free in a historic district built in the 1850s, one block from a Kroger grocery store, three blocks from a public market, 10 blocks from the center of the Central Business District, surrounded by popular bars and restaurants. (I even have a brewery 1 block away where I can pick up cheap growlers directly from the tap!) My apartment is 2 stories, has laundry and HVAC included and I pay $560/month. Sure, sometimes I have to rent a car to go out to the suburbs, but it's totally worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.