U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2013, 09:00 PM

6,514 posts, read 9,056,969 times

Advertisements

Most smaller towns or cities that are dominated by a college or major university have a pretty active night life, decent retail and shopping outlets, plenty of food choices, a good economy, etc and are overall charming towns that have a lot to offer for their size.

What college towns can you think of that do NOT evoke this at all? What college towns are struggling or are just plain dull?

Old 12-05-2013, 11:50 PM

363 posts, read 617,769 times
I know i'll get knocked for this, but even though I like Lincoln and like the University of Nebraska i've never felt it was a "college town" at least compared to other cities like Manhattan KS, Lawrence, Madison Ames or Iowa City. Lincoln to me is more of a government city with the state government being such a huge employer. Don't get me wrong, Lincoln has a good bar scene certainly isn't the worst in America, but at the same time i've never really thought it had much of a college town feel. Maybe it's because it's always been the second city in Nebraska and a lot of people besides students move there.

The only towns i feel that don't offer this are a few small towns in Nebraska I know that have a college, but aren't really that nice for their size. The main example of this would be Peru. It's a town of barely a 1000 people with a college that has about 1500 students on campus, and maybe it's just because it's small, but I always wondered why it was put in such a dinky town seeing as their are larger towns nearby.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:20 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,512,703 times
Vermilion, South Dakota
East Lansing, Michigan
Pullman, Washington
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 12-06-2013, 12:27 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,213,000 times
I've found the dullest college towns are those that are home to the "also-ran" public universities, the ones with a student body in the 10K-20K range. This is particularly true if the student body makes up close to or even more than half the town's population when school is in session and the town isn't particularly close to a larger metro area. Examples would be Charleston IL (where I went to uni), Macomb IL, Terre Haute IN, Stevens Point WI, Kalamazoo MI, etc.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:33 AM

21,193 posts, read 30,379,606 times
One that always stuck out to me was the University of Maryland in College Park. It just seems kind of blah and dull, without much of a collegiate feel in terms of surrounding commercial areas.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:00 AM

23,085 posts, read 35,044,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
One that always stuck out to me was the University of Maryland in College Park. It just seems kind of blah and dull, without much of a collegiate feel in terms of surrounding commercial areas.
Agree. College Park to me was downright seedy.
Others that I find lackluster:
Knoxville, TN
Gainesville, FL

Old 12-06-2013, 06:18 AM

8,340 posts, read 14,102,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I was going to say this one too. After seeing College Park, even Terre Haute seems like a strong college town.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:59 AM

9,432 posts, read 18,334,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
I know i'll get knocked for this, but even though I like Lincoln and like the University of Nebraska i've never felt it was a "college town" at least compared to other cities like Manhattan KS, Lawrence, Madison Ames or Iowa City. Lincoln to me is more of a government city with the state government being such a huge employer. Don't get me wrong, Lincoln has a good bar scene certainly isn't the worst in America, but at the same time i've never really thought it had much of a college town feel. Maybe it's because it's always been the second city in Nebraska and a lot of people besides students move there.
I stopped in Lincoln looking for a place to eat, I was pretty underwhelmed by it as a city/college town. Great for football! For atmosphere and other eclectic options, not so much. After looking around for about an hour I ended up at Starbucks and later on I found a very satisfying greasy spoon diner in another small town further down the road off I-80. I guess I could go to yelp next time, but I expected such options to be easier find in a college town.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 12-06-2013 at 07:09 AM..

Old 12-06-2013, 07:19 AM

56,618 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Vermilion, South Dakota
East Lansing, Michigan
Pullman, Washington
Norman, Oklahoma
What's wrong with East Lansing, in your opinion?

Old 12-06-2013, 07:21 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,215,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Most smaller towns or cities that are dominated by a college or major university have a pretty active night life, decent retail and shopping outlets, plenty of food choices, a good economy, etc and are overall charming towns that have a lot to offer for their size.

What college towns can you think of that do NOT evoke this at all? What college towns are struggling or are just plain dull?
knoxville, tn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.