Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 04:21 AM

7 posts, read 15,560 times

Advertisements

My biggest concern is safety. In which city would I be the most safe? I'm also factoring in weather, population size, housing prices and gay acceptance. I am 23, tall, thin and have a feminine face; I stick out.
As for work, how is the market for house cleaning? I am currently receiving social security benefits, but hope to find a job when I'm there.

I am from and living in western WA. Apartments around here ridiculous all over the western side of the state, which is why I'm considering Spokane, but drawbacks there are: The weather, the fact it's conservative, and crime concerns.

Ft. Worth certainly has low-rent apartments and according to what I've found, it's rated as one of the safest cities in the US. The weather seems reasonable, aside from the threat of tornadoes..
And I'm not sure about LGBT tolerance.

Austin (Wells branch area) is the same with tornadoes, but I heard it's less likely and less severe there. I've also heard from people that live there that it's very gay friendly and diverse all around and I even like their motto: "Keep Austin weird".. I think Austin is my top choice, except for the fact that housing cost is high and the city rather crowded, from what I heard.

By Phoenix I mean one of the surrounding cities, such as Mesa, Tempe, Glendale, and the rest. I'm pretty sure Phoenix is considered a dangerous and conservative city. I've actually lived in Tucson (for a year and a half). I won't go back there as it's too run down, too much crime & gang activity. And drugs, many addicts there and I fear it's the same in Phoenix and surrounding cities that I could afford. The weather in southern AZ is wonderful though, and I love cacti and the mesquite trees and all the sun. (I'm definitely a warm-weather person)

I've spent many hours on google maps trying to find a suitable city.. My options seem to be very limited.
If you have any suggestions for another city that might be right for me, then please, share. Beside safety, low rent (Up to about $475 per month) is important. But out of those, which sounds right for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 05:28 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
As a gay male myself I don't think any of the cities you chose are what would be considered good choices in terms of the progressive characteristics you're looking for, outside of Austin though as you pointed out it's quite expensive. In terms of progressiveness, acceptance (particularly of perceived femininity), population size, housing prices and to a slightly lesser degree weather (though much better than TX or AZ in my opinion) I would recommend Atlanta. Not that the shoe fits, but Atlanta is one of the few cities in the country where there is a significant Transgender community due to the overall acceptance of the community which bodes well given your own physical characteristics, plus beyond that Atlanta has one of the highest densities of LGBT individuals in the country. You'll have a good number of choices in terms of rentals versus your budget and a number of safe areas to choose from. In terms of house cleaning as with most cities with a significant "working professional" population, there's ample opportunity for work. For safe areas I would recommend looking at the inner ring suburbs (inside the Perimeter, which refers to inside the massive Beltway that surrounds Atlanta) at places such as Decatur, North Druid Hills, Scottdale, Avondale Estates, Kirkwood and Brookhaven. All are very liberal/progressive areas that are safe and convenient to sections of the city you'll be working or socializing in.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:30 AM

191 posts, read 262,591 times
Austin really isn't that gay friendly. Esp the wells branch area. ( I'm in the tech ridge area myself) people still cut looks and snicker at gay guys here, at the community college at least.

Also, tornados??
I've never heard about that happening thus far south.

Safety wise, definitely not Phx. Or Ft Worth. And, certain parts of Austin are looking worse every year as more ...uh...certain kinds if people move here from LA and The South.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Old 12-06-2013, 09:26 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,519,622 times
As a gay man here, I wouldn't live in any of the cities you've mentioned. I'd give a slight nod to Fort Worth, but just because it's close to Dallas.

You might like Tucson over Phoenix; it's cheaper and more liberal.

I've heard that SLC is surprisingly gay friendly and relatively inexpensive. Though I've only driven through the area and can't speak for certain.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:30 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,321 times
As someone who has lived in 3 out of these 4 cities, I would first check Spokane off your list. It is definitely no longer safe. In the last few years it has become a magnet for violent criminals, and has an ever-increasingly horrible meth epidemic. Not to mention a completely incompetent police dept, which only adds to the problem. And yes, quite conservative. It's pretty much the armpit of the PNW.

Actually, of these 4, I would most recommend central Phoenix, but definitely NOT one of it's suburbs (which are mostly very bland, vast, and conservative). Central Phx has a growing, thriving LGBT community, and is very affordable and becoming more liberal every day in it's core area. I would stay close to the North end of the core though. Nowhere South of downtown, West of I-17, North of Dunlap, or East of 24th St.

I just hope you don't mind long, brutally hot summers. In every one of those cities except Spokane, you will be dealing with 100+ temps.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:28 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,477 times
Are you serious? I doubt you'd face any greater danger than any person. Despite the media frenzy, there isn't an outbreak of attacks on alternative lifestyle folks anywhere.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:44 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Are you serious? I doubt you'd face any greater danger than any person. Despite the media frenzy, there isn't an outbreak of attacks on alternative lifestyle folks anywhere.
It's not as much about danger as it is overall acceptance. It really doesn't make life all that terrific living around people who stare, sneer or just plain make you feel uncomfortable for being who you are. Sadly it is geographically specific and something the OP rightfully feels the need to avoid.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:00 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy_mays View Post

Safety wise, definitely not Phx. Or Ft Worth. And, certain parts of Austin are looking worse every year as more ...uh...certain kinds if people move here from LA and The South.
What?

Fort Worth AND Austin are two of the safest major cities in the country.

Can't say much about Phoenix, but I don't know much about Phoenix.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:50 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
What?

Fort Worth AND Austin are two of the safest major cities in the country.

Can't say much about Phoenix, but I don't know much about Phoenix.
Phoenix can be gauged at pretty much the same level as Austin or Ft. Worth. Some rough pockets on the West and South sides, but that's about it. Funny how that poster bad-mouthed every listed city but the one that's ACTUALLY dangerous these days (Spokane).

Old 12-08-2013, 02:13 AM

191 posts, read 262,591 times
Its too bad there's no way to figure out which city has more crime. Gee, if only someone, somewhere had thought to just keep records! Perhaps, I dunno, even create a website where all the statistics would be available...for all these different cities...for free!

Well, I can dream I guess... :slap:

What's amusing is the sheer volume of unsubstantiated, unbridled fluff tossed around without a single link in sight. For days. For weeks. Years even. Lord, how long...how long must I suffer so??

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.