U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-14-2013, 07:07 PM

150 posts, read 139,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Used to live in Boise Idaho, metro area of around 500,000 and probably the safest city I have lived in. When I moved there I asked someone in LE and someone else who worked at the city's homeless shelter if there was any neighborhood my family members would need to be worry about if their car broke down at 2:00 AM. Both people could not think of anyplace.

Only downside was because the crime rate was so low, the cops had the time to strictly enforce every traffic law. Got pulled over more times in the 6 years that I lived in Boise than the last 30 years of my driving experience. Remember when graffiti started popping up around downtown. Cops made a major effort to track down who was doing it and had a press conference when the scofflaw was arrested.

Provo, Utah is up there with the safest metros too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 07:39 PM

101 posts, read 55,460 times
Portland, Maine
Burlington, Vermont
Manchester, New Hampshire

Basically, northern New England.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:36 PM

1,008 posts, read 599,320 times
I gave this some though, and I think I have a good list.

Small: Santa Rosa, CA (Runner up: Boise, ID)

Medium: Omaha, NE (Runner up: Grand Rapids, MI)

Large: New York City, NY (Runner up: Seattle, WA)

Old 12-15-2013, 12:53 AM

646 posts, read 297,417 times
nyc is only safe if u believe the heavily skewed and manipulated stats by the nypd
its not the worst, but far from safest, any cities that have places like brownsville, east ny, south bronx, south jamaica and jersey city/newark closeby should not be on the list

Last edited by greenlite; 12-15-2013 at 01:04 AM..

Old 12-15-2013, 03:09 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,432,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
nyc is only safe if u believe the heavily skewed and manipulated stats by the nypd
its not the worst, but far from safest, any cities that have places like brownsville, east ny, south bronx, south jamaica and jersey city/newark closeby should not be on the list
It's very hard to generalize about NYC because it's not about the city. It's about the neighborhood. Many neighborhoods have commercial cores that would be relatively safe for any reasonably street-savvy kid. The poorest ones, like those mentioned above? Of course not. But most city neighborhoods are not swimming in crime and poverty. In those that are not, the biggest worry would definitely be traffic, not crime.

But even in Manhattan, on any given weekend night there are hordes of teenagers and tweens along 42nd St and in Times Sq., just as there would be in the big tourist areas of any big city.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
It's very hard to generalize about NYC because it's not about the city. It's about the neighborhood. Many neighborhoods have commercial cores that would be relatively safe for any reasonably street-savvy kid. The poorest ones, like those mentioned above? Of course not. But most city neighborhoods are not swimming in crime and poverty. In those that are not, the biggest worry would definitely be traffic, not crime.

But even in Manhattan, on any given weekend night there are hordes of teenagers and tweens along 42nd St and in Times Sq., just as there would be in the big tourist areas of any big city.
violence does spill to any nhoods nearby

Old 12-16-2013, 03:30 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,432,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
violence does spill to any nhoods nearby
You are simply wrong about this.

The city is filled with lots of neighborhoods where very expensive housing abuts crime-ridden housing projects, yet the neighborhoods stay popular and expensive. If violence spilling out to nearby neighborhoods was a problem, expensive properties on the Upper West Side, Astoria, Ft. Greene, Harlem, Clinton Hill, and parts of South Brooklyn would have long ago lost their value. But they keep getting more expensive.

We aren't afraid to raise our kids around a little grit. (A little, not a lot.) Sure, somebody can come from Brownsville and rob you in Brooklyn Heights, but someone can come from Newark and rob you in Passaic too. Doesn't stop you from raising your family there.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
You are simply wrong about this.

The city is filled with lots of neighborhoods where very expensive housing abuts crime-ridden housing projects, yet the neighborhoods stay popular and expensive. If violence spilling out to nearby neighborhoods was a problem, expensive properties on the Upper West Side, Astoria, Ft. Greene, Harlem, Clinton Hill, and parts of South Brooklyn would have long ago lost their value. But they keep getting more expensive.

We aren't afraid to raise our kids around a little grit. (A little, not a lot.) Sure, somebody can come from Brownsville and rob you in Brooklyn Heights, but someone can come from Newark and rob you in Passaic too. Doesn't stop you from raising your family there.

and they do, just look what happened in short hills today, and Im not raising a family here, Im actually moving outta this metro area soon
spillover violence is not the reason for the move, but it sure is a factor that cannot be ignored

Old 12-16-2013, 10:25 PM

47 posts, read 23,314 times
Downtown Pittsburgh is fairly safe for a city of its size. Even some of the nearby Northside neighborhoods are considerably safer than they used to be. Cincinnati is similar in that regard though a step or two behind Pittsburgh. With OTR improving as much as it has in Cincinnati the safety of the CBD is improving right along with it.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:21 PM

9,180 posts, read 13,689,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I gave this some though, and I think I have a good list.

Small: Santa Rosa, CA (Runner up: Boise, ID)

Medium: Omaha, NE (Runner up: Grand Rapids, MI)

Large: New York City, NY (Runner up: Seattle, WA)
I'd hardly call Omaha the safest medium sized city. It's not crazy with crime, but higher than average for the USA on many metrics. Another medium sized city to the east, Des Moines, has quite a bit lower crime rates for its metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.