Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 04:28 PM

7,776 posts, read 10,117,652 times

Advertisements

I'm Asian so that means there are a lot more places I could end up in with less than 1% of my race. I definitely could do it if it wasn't a permanent move. Clearly there has to be some great incentive for me, and I feel the biggest sacrifice would probably the lack of quality Asian cuisine, but if it at least seems like the move was for less than two years, I could do it. Also the place would have to be accepting and tolerant…racism would be a deal breaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 04:44 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,511,871 times
This place, in ?, is probably more accepting and tolerant than a lot of places, that may have more actual diversity, but, where there is a high level of segregation and racism, like Milwaukee. However, compared to other cities in it's region with more diversity? Who knows?

Old 12-12-2013, 04:46 PM

92,717 posts, read 123,032,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I agree with this, minus the hell no. I wouldn't go to that extreme.

On the other end of the spectrum, I grew up in a more diverse area and I've been here in Montana for nearly ten years now. Now that I have two young children I'm growing to not like living in an area with such little diversity. I never really thought about it and certainly didn't come here because of the demographic make-up. I do think about it more now that I have children and I want them to grow up in a place where they can learn to be accepting of everyone not just because they are taught to but because they are actually exposed to diversity and can practice what they preach.
Not to hijack the thread, but have you considered maybe moving to Great Falls, which at least has an Air Force Base and even churches that worship out of the African American tradition? I believe that it has a decent Native American population/community and a few Hispanics. This is if you like living in Montana.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
This place, in ?, is probably more accepting and tolerant than a lot of places, that may have more actual diversity, but, where there is a high level of segregation and racism, like Milwaukee. However, compared to other cities in it's region with more diversity? Who knows?
What region is this city in, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 12-12-2013, 04:54 PM

2,441 posts, read 3,424,206 times
I wouldnt immediately right off a certain area with out researching it, just because there was a meager population of people like me because I think that might be racist or something like that. No, it would depend on the vibe, whether it was friendly or not, no matter what kind of people were living there. I am a fearless person but with a friendly open face that kinda helps out socially. But life is a daily challenge.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:14 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,581,943 times
Quote:
Wondering if there's any other feedback? Didn't mean to exclude white folks, some may know minorities personally that live in a town like one being described.
As a white guy who grew up in a very ethnically/racially mixed neighborhood where whites were maybe 1/3 of the population (ie. NOT the majority), I can say for myself that it wouldn't bother me one bit to live in a place where I'm a minority. In fact, I honestly feel more comfortable in a mixed-race area than I do in a majority-white environment... but I don't know how I would feel being the ONLY white person in town, and I'm sure my views don't represent most white people's views. I think it just all depends on where and how you were raised.

I just know that some people are more accepting/tolerant of people of different races than others, whether they're black, white, latino, Asian, or whatever. I think the same goes for towns, suburbs, and cities. Hopefully this town you're considering moving to doesn't have those kind of hang-ups.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:29 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,511,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What region is this city in, if you don't mind me asking?
Oregón

Old 12-12-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Oregón
If it is one of the bigger cities in the state, you may be OK, if there is enough of a population. I'm thinking of the college towns and the capital.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:50 PM

2,278 posts, read 2,640,885 times
Guess it's different strokes for different folks, but to me it wouldn't make any difference at all. Just think how it is when you travel to another country with a different culture and different people. It's a chance to learn and mix in. After all in this case you're still in the U.S.
Maybe it's just me because I'm multi racial, but I try not to tie folks down by race in most cases, I rather try to think of all people as being in the human race.
Another thing. I bet they would open their arms to you as long as you accept them equally.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:45 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,474,617 times
I wouldn't live in Oregon:

A Look at Volksfront: White-Power Fraternal Brotherhood - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.