Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 08:57 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't think rowhouses constitute the majority of Richmond's housing stock though.
It's still much higher than a lot of other cities in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 09:21 AM

56 posts, read 79,895 times
I just took a trip to Asheville, NC, from Central Maryland, and I felt like I was in a different country. I'd never seen a "Bojangle's" before and never so many whites (rather, I was used to a healthy mix of all types of people). Everyone owned pickup trucks (even in the city). And it was the same in Central/Southern Virginia. I really only felt "at home" when I got back to Centreville, near DC. In that sense, I'd say NOVA is more like MD and the rest of Virginia is more like NC.

However, St. Mary's and Calvert counties, and Charles to a certain extent, as well as most of the Eastern Shore, are more closely related to the Tidewater region of Virginia, whereas NC isn't really very similar in that respect. And, yes, when I travel to Richmond and random towns in the middle of VA, like in Culpeper or Orange counties, it seems more DC/Baltimore/Philly-ish with the old colonial architecture. In other big southern cities, like Atlanta or Charlotte or even Asheville and Raleigh, the cityscape is mostly full of newer developments, with only a few "Colonial" neighborhoods.

So, to sum up, Central and Southern Virginia rural areas are more similar to North Carolina.

All Virginian urban areas and some towns in Central Virginia are more similar to MD/PA.

The Tidewater and Eastern rural areas are more similar to MD/DE rural areas.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:24 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisvishr0 View Post
I just took a trip to Asheville, NC, from Central Maryland, and I felt like I was in a different country. I'd never seen a "Bojangle's" before and never so many whites (rather, I was used to a healthy mix of all types of people).
Well, apparently you've never been to the food court in Union Station, or to Largo Town Center, or to Iverson Mall, or to Upper Marlboro. There are Bojangle's at all of those locations.

Quote:
So, to sum up, Central and Southern Virginia rural areas are more similar to North Carolina.

All Virginian urban areas and some towns in Central Virginia are more similar to MD/PA.
Not really. Richmond is 62.5 sq. miles and it has a roughly one square mile area (if that) that has rowhouses. That's not very similar to DC or Baltimore at all. Culturally, of course, it's absolutely nothing like being in Bethesda, Silver Spring or Landover. And then those places are really nothing like Reading or Wilkes-Barre.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:35 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,766,066 times
I think the southern half Maryland has similarities with both Virginia and North Carolina.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:42 AM

30 posts, read 29,096 times
All 3 have some similarities.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:32 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
All 3 are similar and I guess it would depend on what part of VA your in. SW VA would be more similar to western NC with it's Appalachian culture.

The Chesapeake region would be more similar to MD as both states share the bay and it's culture.

The Eastern shore (DelMarVa) shares all three. All my trips from DE through eastern NC everything is basically the same. The same stores, chicken houses, corn fields, soybean fields, strip malls, vegetation and architecture. The only difference is that you start to see a few cotton fields once you cross into VA from MD and of coarse the Eastern NC BBQ restaurants in, well, eastern NC.

If one was in NOVA they would probably align VA to MD. The Richmond area to me is like both as well but honestly, I have only really passed through on 95. Though many times, that doesn't say much but I've always thought of Richmond more like Baltimore from what I've seen though I will admit to a lot of that being that they are both close to DC which is a totally different city then pretty much anywhere.

It's been years and I'm sure i'm dating myself but southern MD, VA and NC seemed similar as well with the strip malls and general vibe but that could all be different now because there aren't all the tobacco fields anymore that I remember when I grew up in MD in the 70's/80's.

I'm sure the whole central MD area now with the exception of the bay itself is just one large version of general American Suburbia which could be anywhere.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:29 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,215 times
Marlinfshr this is a very accurate assuption, good post.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:33 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,399,777 times
Quote:
I just took a trip to Asheville, NC, from Central Maryland, and I felt like I was in a different country. I'd never seen a "Bojangle's" before and never so many whites (rather, I was used to a healthy mix of all types of people). Everyone owned pickup trucks (even in the city). And it was the same in Central/Southern Virginia. I really only felt "at home" when I got back to Centreville, near DC. In that sense, I'd say NOVA is more like MD and the rest of Virginia is more like NC.

However, St. Mary's and Calvert counties, and Charles to a certain extent, as well as most of the Eastern Shore, are more closely related to the Tidewater region of Virginia, whereas NC isn't really very similar in that respect. And, yes, when I travel to Richmond and random towns in the middle of VA, like in Culpeper or Orange counties, it seems more DC/Baltimore/Philly-ish with the old colonial architecture. In other big southern cities, like Atlanta or Charlotte or even Asheville and Raleigh, the cityscape is mostly full of newer developments, with only a few "Colonial" neighborhoods.

The Tidewater and Eastern rural areas are more similar to MD/DE rural areas.
Maryland has Bojangle's....

And you never been to Western Maryland because there are some similarities with Western Maryland and Western NC........

Old 12-26-2013, 10:36 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Maryland has Bojangle's....

And you never been to Western Maryland because there are some similarities with Western Maryland and Western NC........
So what's your answer to the OP's question?

Old 12-26-2013, 10:55 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,399,777 times
Maryland, North Carolina, and Virginia all have similarities....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.